Brooklyn Bedding Tri-comfort vs. Bamboo Bliss

Hi there,

First off, I really appreciate all that I’ve learned from this site so far, and it’s led me away from purchasing a mattress that would have robbed me of my cash.

I’ve been looking at DreamFoam and BB, but am currently leaning more toward BB because of the superior quality materials (such as higher density foam in most models). I would make a DIY, but SleepEZ seems the cheapest for that and it’s a little more than I’m wanting to spend (hoping to stay at or below 1k, and three 3" layers and a cover from SleepEZ seems to put a person at around 1,200?).

SO, BB’s Tri-comfort has been an intriguing mattress, as I often find that I lack lumbar support (I find myself bending my knees to flatten out my back and eliminate the gap between my lumbar and the mattress). However, I’ve only ever slept on a mediocre spring mattress, and I don’t think it’s had enough give to offer the support I need, so I’m wondering if simply a softer comfort layer, such as the Bamboo Bliss offers, would do the trick just the same.

I’m torn, because the Bamboo Bliss offers the Talalay comfort layer, which seems to be preferred choice over the dunlop when it comes to comfort layers, and would seem to offer more blissful sleep. On the other hand, the Tri-comfort is 100% latex, and a latex core seems to be superior to a foam core-am I right here? Another pro for the Tri-comfort is that I’m 5’7" 155 lbs, and have a fairly wide and muscular upper body. I think my hips/waist is normal (30-31 pant size). So I guess I’m wondering if having my back sink lower than my hips would provide greater lumbar support.

And as for firmness, I’m torn between the medium and the soft. From what I’ve read of latex on this site, it seems that soft may offer ample support for my weight, since latex also provides a firm support even if sunken into. However, though I’m not heavy, my 155 lbs is not spread out over 6 ft, but 5’ 7", so who knows, maybe a medium? I’m planning on contacting BB tomorrow to get their thoughts, but I’m wondering what the community here might think. Perhaps because it’s dunlop and not talalay the soft will be the better choice? I like a little bit of “cloud” feeling, but good support for my spine is a higher priority. If I can get both, I’m golden, but if I have to lean one direction, I want proper alignment.

Feedback is greatly appreciated!!

-Austin

Oh, and I guess mattresses.net sells an “All Natural Dunlop / Talalay Combination Latex Mattress,” which is another option that I’m considering (with the upgrade to the 3" talalay topper).

As for bed size, I’m looking at a twin bed.

Normally $1,000 budget for a latex mattress is tough but if you are looking for a twin size it’s a bit easier to find options in that price range. There are several places you can get a latex mattress in your budget range in a twin size. Here are some more members of this site with latex options that would be in your price range

Spindle Mattress

You might want to consider a twin XL instead. This would give you the flexibility to add another twin XL in the future to make a king bed should your marital status change.

Thanks for the suggestion jermy.

Pheonix, I’d be curious to know what you think of the Abscond by Spindle. This seems to be a compromise between the mattresses I’m looking at, as it offers zoned support, but is also 100% latex. I’m curious because I read somewhere on this site that it’s better to stay away from mattresses with that many zones (7 apparently).

I saw that SleepEZ has something similar and somewhat more attractive (because you can layer it how you like), but it would be more expensive. Would a 6 inch zoned core from SleepEZ be effective at offering zoned support if there are two talalay 3" toppers?

Hi AustinFromWA,

You are certainly looking at some good options :slight_smile:

As far as your “comfort questions” or the “suitability” of a mattress and how any of their mattresses may feel or perform for you in terms or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) … when you can’t test a mattress in person then the best approach is always a more detailed conversation with the manufacturer who can find out more information about your body type, sleeping positions, preferences, and some history of other mattresses you have done well with or any local testing you have done and help “talk you through” which of their many choices may work best for you (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). They will have more knowledge and experience with their mattresses and helping their customers to “match” the different options they have than anyone else because they help match customers to mattresses all day every day.

As far as the quality of the materials in the mattresses you are looking at … all of them use good quality materials and there are no weak links in their designs. Most of the differences between them would be based on your personal preferences and how different types of latex and designs “feel” compared to others.

Synthetic Dunlop is a little less resilient and “supportive” than 100% natural Dunlop (it doesn’t get firmer as quickly as natural Dunlop as you sink into it more deeply) and in the firmer versions (C4 and C5) they are likely to be a little less durable than other types of latex in the same firmness level as well but like any type or blend of latex they are still a high quality and durable material relative to other types of foam.

I also agree with magpie that if you are looking at a smaller size that a twin XL would probably be a good idea.

A twin size also makes your $1000 budget much more reasonable and would give you quite a number of options including the ones that jermy4 mentioned. There are also some good “budget” sources for latex and latex hybrid mattresses in posts #3 and #4 here but these were for a queen under $1000 so you would have more choices than the options that were listed there.

Once you have had a more detailed conversation with each of the manufacturers you are considering and have narrowed down your choices at each one to a single mattress then you will be in a much better position to make a final choice (see post #2 here) based on all the objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Your

Thanks all!

Per the suggestions, I went with the twin xl, and I actually ended up going with a 10" flexus, all natural latex with 3" soft talalay, 3" med dunlop, and 3" firm dunlop for $995. It turned out to be the best deal when compared to similar setups from SleepEZ and Arizona Mattresses.

It was the top of my price range but I’m stoked to get sleeping on it!

Hi AustinFromWA,

Thanks for letting us know what you ended up deciding and it sounds like you make a great choice out of many great options that you had available.

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your feedback once you’ve received it.

Phoenix