Brooklyn Bedding vs. Dreamfoam?

Hi,

I posted awhile ago:

https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/looking-for-new-bed-costco-or-brooklyn-bed

But, we didn’t pursue getting a new bed back then, but our current bed (purchased from Costco in 2010) is just getting too uncomfortable for both my wife and myself, with two deep “valleys” on both of our sides of the bed.

So, I just emailed costco.com and they are going to be arranging for a return pickup, so I guess that we’re now committed to getting a new bed.

As mentioned in that earlier post, I was considering getting a (latex) bed from Brooklyn Bedding, but since then I found “Ultimate Dreams Eurotop Latex Mattress” from Dreamfoam at Amazon (we are looking for a King-size bed):

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Dreams-Eurotop-Latex-Mattress/dp/B008KQ8YZO/ref=cm_cd_ql_qh_dp_t

From reading some of the comments, it sounds like the “Ultimate Dreams” and Dreamfoam are the same company as Brooklyn bedding (same people?)?

Also, are the beds that Dreamfoam sells on Amazon the same as the ones that Brooklyn Bedding sells on their own website, and if not, how do they compare?

Sorry for somewhat vague questions, but this whole bedding thing is a bit confusing :(…

Hi ohaya,

Brooklyn Bedding and Dreamfoam are sister companies and sell through two different “channels”. Both of them are manufacturing members of the site which means that I believe they are among the best quality/value in the industry.

While it’s only possible to make mattress comparisons on a mattress to mattress basis based on the specifics of each mattress … in general the Dreamfoam site focuses more on the lower end of the budget range and the Brooklyn Bedding site focuses on more on their mattress with exchangeable layers or on the more premium end of the line although there is some overlap between them in terms of budget and design. The Total Latex mattress for example is sold on both sites and the Eurotop on the Amazon site has an exchangeable comfort layer that is more commonly seen on on some of their mattresses on the Brooklyn Bedding site.

There are also differences in their return policies which can also be an important part of an online purchase.

In most cases you will find that a manufacturer has comparable “value” across their entire lineup regardless of budget but of course each person has their own unique personal value equation and different criteria about which of the features and options that are part of every mattress purchase are most important to them.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thanks for the comments.

I’ve been reading through the reviews for the one on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Dreams-Eurotop-Latex-Mattress/dp/B008KQ8YZO/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8&colid=1EFBQBHFZ1JBX&coliid=ISYSC4MNOZ0QR

and noted several that mention that the bed starts to develop “indentations”. The bed we have now has the same problem (what I call “valleys”), which is the main reason that we’re returning it to Costco. Do these beds tend to do this (develop indentations) also? FYI, I weigh about 250 lbs and my wife is about 140 lbs, and the bed we have now has developed a large valley/indentation even on her side.

Thanks,
Jim

Ohaya,
I was looking at this same mattress and emailed Dreamfoam to find out if there was any difference between it and the BB version. According to Mario at Dreamfoam the BB 12" Eurotop uses 2.17lb core foam while the Dreamfoam version uses 1.5lb core foam. Other than that they are identical.

In that case, it appears the Brooklyn Bedding version should be a bit more durable.

Does anyone know if BB is still honoring the 5% discount for Mattress Underground members now?

Hi ohaya,

While I don’t pay much attention to reviews (as you can see in post #13 here) … I looked and didn’t see the reviews you are referring to except one that was written by someone that was over 300 lbs and hurt his back and spent most of his day in bed and in addition to that chose An “8” in firmness level (which would be quite soft for his weight).

All materials will soften and develop some “indentations” over time but it’s really a matter of degree. Latex is the most durable of all the foam materials but there is no material that is soft enough to sleep on that doesn’t soften or impress over time so some degree. This will be more evident with higher weights than with lower weights because higher weights will break down any material faster and with king size mattresses more than smaller sizes because there is a larger area in the middle that isn’t used as much.

When you are in a heavier weight range … then the quality and durability of the materials in your mattress become even more important than they normally would be and the density of the layers immediately below the latex can play a more important role in durability because you will tend to “go through” the top layers more easily. You can read more about the factors that affect the useful life of a mattress in post #4 here. In your weight range I would be leaning towards the Bamboo Bliss with higher density 2.17 lb support foam vs the 1.5 lb version in the Amazon Eurotop and you would also have the cooling benefit of having wool in the quilting of the mattress.

Yes they are except for occasional sales that have a bigger discount than the regular MUG discount.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thanks for all the comments.

FYI, I went ahead and placed an order for the Bamboo Bliss from BB yesterday, after an extended chat session with Mario. I got the “6” firmness, along with the frame, bracket, and cover. He provided a code for the 5% and also the 2 shredded latex pillows (got 1 high and 1 low profile, cuz I wasn’t sure).

I was going back-and-forth between the one on Amazon and the one direct from BB, but in the end, the price difference was not that great once all the other stuff was included plus the 5% discount and pillow, and the higher density direct from BB.

Will post back when it gets here.

As others mentioned, Mario was really patient, with all of my questions, and was also willing to answer questions about the Amazon/Dreamfoam bed and compare both.

Thanks,
Jim

Hi oyaha,

You certainly made a good choice IMO … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I hope you have the chance to share your feedback once you receive it.

Phoenix

Hi,

Well, it’s on its way to us now, via Fedex :)!

I was little surprised how fast they shipped. I thought that there’d be more time in assembling it, because we had been thinking about one of the Sleep Science beds from Costco (sorry) before deciding to get the BB one, ans Costco was quoting 3-4 weeks delivery.

Anyway, according to Fedex, the shipment should be here on Friday, and we have two of my sons coming over to help set it up on Saturday (I can’t… or my wife won’t let me, due to health issues… you know :(…).

Funny thing is that, not on purpose, the old Costco Sealy bed is being picked on Friday also (I really can’t slight Costco for their service… they are allowing a full return with no questions asked, after almost 3 years).

Looking forward to a good night’s sleep with less pain, hopefully, next week!!

Jim

Hi ohaya,

No matter what the quality or value of their mattresses (and there is a wide range of quality and value there), or their level of knowledge about the mattresses they sell (which is very low) … there is no doubt of the “value” of their return policy :slight_smile:

Phoenix

This was one of my biggest quandaries. I went back and forth and eventually just allowed my wife to decide. We went with the Dreamfoam version.

Update: The Fedex tracking originally said 9/14 (Saturday), but it just changed today to 9/17 (Tuesday). Costco is picking up the old bed tomorrow (they’re on time :)), so it looks like we’ll be bed-less for about 5 days (we have other beds though :)).