Brooklyn Bedding

A big thanks to Phoenix for getting me into this site. I had a difficult time proving I was human. (I’m sure my husband would agree some days.) What a great site this has been for information gathering! I have narrowed down my almost purchased choices. However, I have a question. I understand the king beds come split in the Bamboo Bliss and the Aloe. Are the latex layer(s) also split? What keeps the layers from separating? My husband who is twice my weight, will he feel the split if lying in the middle? We have never owned a latex/foam bed before. Will he have a difficult time moving positions? Thank you for any/insights.

Hi CW926,

Well I believe you :slight_smile:

It’s actually only the latex comfort layer(s) that are split so you can each choose your own comfort level. The support core isn’t split. You can read more about split layers in post #2 here but with a suitable tight fitting quilted cover (which both mattresses have) you will feel the difference in firmness on each side (which is the reason for the split) but you won’t feel the actual split itself.

There may be some latex mattresses in your area that you can test latex to get some sense of how it feels and responds (although there are many different firmness levels and designs that each have a different “feel”) but latex is the most resilient of all the different types of foam (latex foam, polyfoam, and memory foam) so it has a more “on the mattress” feel and less motion restriction than other foam types (especially memory foam which has a slow response and is more motion restricting). You can read more about the difference between the fast response of latex and the slow response of memory foam in post #2 here. If you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know of any options in your area I’m aware of that may carry latex mattresses that you can test.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix! We actually slept on one at a friends which sold us on the idea. It was a memory foam and not split. Turning wasn’t smooth , that is why we want a latex layer. The splits in the layer has me a little concerned. I attempted to have a chat with a BB rep online but was the info was vague; or perhaps I wasn’t asking the proper question. I was led to believe the core was also split. I really want to pull the trigger this weekend in a purchase. Thanks again.

Hi CW926,

Hopefully you are no longer concerned after my last reply :slight_smile:

There are hundreds of forum members that have purchased split layer latex mattresses from Brooklyn Bedding or some of the other companies that offer them and have had no issues with the split layers.

Phoenix

I did it! I pulled the trigger and ordered the Aloe Alexis. I had a detailed conversation with Jacob at Brooklyn Bedding. He assured me I would fall in love with this mattress and I am going to hold him to that. I ordered a# 5 on first latex layer and# 8 for top. I hope I made the right decision. I liked them on Facebook and am getting two free latex pillows. Mentioned Underground and saved another $93. I will report back. Thanks for your great guidance and this awesome website!

Hi CW926,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

You’ve certainly made a great choice and there are many others who have purchased the same mattress (with their own firmness choices) that have “fallen in love” with it.

I’m looking forward to your feedback when you receive it.

Phoenix

First Review of the Aloe Alexis from Brooklyn Bedding:
We have been sleeping on this mattress for 2 weeks and there is a definite learning curve for us latex/foam bed newbies.
Assembly wasn’t as easy as I thought it would be. Perhaps detailed instructions would have been helpful. Make sure you have the right side of the cover up before releasing the beast. The latex layers came in 4 pieces, we initially didn’t know which layers were which until we saw the numbers written in black marker on the sides. Then the heated debate occurred when we were trying to figure out if the larger holes in the latex were on top or bottom. We placed the two #5’s first and the two #8’s on top. I was somewhat anxious about the nylon zipper as my husband was tugging on it while closing it. I am wondering if anyone has had an issue with the zipper separating or breaking?
The first week of sleeping on it was wonderful. My shoulder pain virtually disappeared. My husband has been sleeping so soundly. Less snoring coming from his side of the bed! :cheer: However, during the second week I have been waking up each morning with lower back pain which actually has become progressively worse. Tonight we moved around the latex layers. I am on the two 5’s and my husband on the two 8’s. He likes soft beds , so hopefully this will do the trick. The only problem now is the obvious lump running down the middle of the bed because of the two levels. Since we are in a king bed this is only an aesthetic issue. We will re-evaluate in another week before exchanging levels with BB.
When I purchased the bed I bought the waterproof mattress cover. Big mistake. It makes the bed doubly hot. I have since replaced it with a bamboo cover which has alleviated some of the heat radiating from the mattress.
I really do like this mattress and am hopeful that love is right around the corner. Will touch base later. Thanks again for this great website .

Hi CW926,

Thanks for the update and feedback … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

I hope you have the chance to share your feedback about any other changes you make to the mattress as well.

With Talalay it really wouldn’t make much difference either way.

Phoenix