BrooklynBedding Bamboo Bliss Latex Mattress

We ordered the Bamboo Bliss Queen size mattress a month ago and had high hopes for it, but unfortunately it doesn’t work for us :dry:
Here’s the email I wrote them which summarizes our disappointment with the mattress:

Hi,

We slept on the new mattress for a few weeks and we’re not happy with it.

We ordered a “Cushion Firm” , however the latex layer that we got feels rather “Super Soft”.
We are about 5’ 6, less than 150lbs each and we still sink in excessively.
I’m not sure if we received an incorrect firmness level or a defective material.

I’m aware that latex feels softer than spring mattress, and we even had memory foam toppers which we liked
on some of our beds, but I never sank-in so deep into the mattress.

For the first week of using this mattress we had trouble falling asleep and woke up with back pain.

We removed the latex layer and are sleeping on foam core now and it feels much better than before.

However my wife regrets throwing out our previous mattress because we slept better on it and thinks that we wasted a $1000.

We really wanted to like this mattress based on positive reviews both on mattressunderground.com and amazon,
but unfortunately we didn’t experience that nice feeling that you usually get when laying on a new mattress.

I am aware of the 120 days exchange guarantee of the comfort layer but I don’t want to invest more money in addition
to what we paid, only to get something that might not work for us.

We do hope that it’s just a mistake in shipping the wrong latex layer and not the quality of the material.

Let me know what would be your solution.

Sincerely,

I haven’t receive a response from them yet. Let me know what you guys think.

I can tell you through my conversations with them that you will be out of the cost of returning the mattress to them. My suggestion is to call or online chat with Mario and see what they can do as far as an exchange of layers can go.

Hi mikeh59,

I would add a “ditto” to mikeh59’s suggestion of talking with Brooklyn Bedding and considering a comfort exchange because of the cost involved in returning the complete mattress (although of course the choice would always be up to you).

Softness is very subjective and each person’s perceptions can be very different so a comfort layer that is too soft for one person may be too firm for the next. Each person can be very different. It’s possible of course that you received an incorrect firmness but it’s more likely that you received the firmness level that you ordered but it just wasn’t the ideal choice. It’s also unlikely that it’s defective and more likely that it’s just too soft for you. Based on “averages” this would be well within the the range that would work well for someone of your weight and if anything it could even be a little on the firmer side for some people depending on preferences and what they were used to sleeping on.

The next step though would be to talk with them to discuss your options so you can decide on what would be your best course of action.

Phoenix

Don’t worry too much, you will only be out approx $75 or however much it costs to send your top layer back and get another firmer one. Sleeping on latex takes a little getting used to. I think most people are used to spring beds where the first inch is soft, then the next is firm, but the whole region around your pressure points sags down due to the spring structure. With latex it is more like individual spots sink down, so I think that is what contributes to your feeling.

If you like sleeping on the bare core, that is a good reference point to tell them.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I emailed BB on Thu night , and I’m still waiting for their response.

Does anyone know if the Bamboo Bliss sleeps soft? I’ve seen a few reviews which recommend ordering a size firmer than you would typically use. Thanks!

Hi Mulligan,

Soft, medium, and firm are very subjective and relative to each person’s perceptions. There is also no consistency between different manufacturer’s rating scales so it would also depend on which mattress you were comparing it to. In most cases, because it’s so subjective, I would probably limit firmness / softness comparisons to comparisons between the same manufacturer which will tend to be “on the same scale”. You will probably find comments on the forum in both directions (both firmer and softer than expected) because each person may have a different “baseline” for what soft and firm mean to them.

Phoenix

Phoenix:
It sounds like someone aught to design a bowling ball test for latex mattresses. Placing a 12 pound ball on a mattress and seeing how far it sinks would be a good, non subjective way to tell softness in a springy material…

The bowling ball test sounds good in theory, however there are already processes in place that are used to achieve the ILD ratings for latex that give us a firmness. However, at the end of the day it really is a personal preference that is very difficult to quantify.

Hi glassact,

As Pist0lpete mentioned … a “bowling ball test” would measure how far you sink into a mattress if one part of your body weighed 12 lbs so it would be one measure of “softness” but it wouldn’t tell you how far parts of your body that weight more or less than 12 lbs sink into the mattress or how soft the mattress would “feel” because of other differences in specs between materials that are used that can also affect softness (see post #2 here) or more specifically pressure relief.

There are also different “types” of softness that some people may be more or less sensitive to (see post #15 here).

So while ILD (which is the equivalent to what you are suggesting) would be one measure of softness and can be a useful guideline … there would still be a significant difference between how soft two different mattresses “feel” to different people even if the ILD of the materials or the “bowling ball test” indicated they were very similar. In the end … each person’s own experience and “definition” of softness is really the only “true” definition of softness that is reliable for any specific person.

Phoenix

Hi ,

Thank you Phoenix for all the useful information. I would never know so much about mattresses without you B)

The following quote explains exactly how I feel about the comfort layer in my Bamboo Bliss “cushion firm 28 ILD” mattress.

[quote=“Phoenix” post=13077]
Generally … if pressure on the surface capillaries in the pressure points are reduced to below about 32 mmhg (a unit of pressure) for most people, then the capillaries won’t collapse with the pressure and the blood flow will be maintained. When this is achieved … the body doesn’t feel “pressure” or the urge to move and restore blood flow. Once you have reduced the pressure on the pressure points to the maximum possible … then there is no further benefit to sinking in any more. If the heavier parts keep on sinking because the comfort layers are softer and thicker than you need to achieve maximum pressure relief … then all that happens is that you lose alignment with no more benefit of more pressure relief.

Some people need more pressure relief than others because they are either more sensitive, have less muscle tone, sleep in more pressure prone positions, or because their capillaries “collapse” more easily for various reasons. These people will generally do best with the maximum possible depth of cradle that is beneficial but more than this introduces new risks for alignment that have no pressure relieving benefit.

In come cases … some people just prefer to sink in more deeply into the comfort layers and as long as this is done evenly without one part sinking in too much relative to the rest … then this is a matter of preference.

Phoenix[/quote]

I spoke to Mario from BB and ordered an exchange of latex layer. I went with the extra firm 44 ILD .

We like a firm mattress with a soft “pillowtop layer” meaning that we want a soft comfort layer for pressure relief and very supportive base core underneath for good spine alignment.
We are about 5’ 6, less than 150lbs , so we don’t require a strong support core layer for proper alignment vs a heavier person.

Regarding foam core in Bamboo Bliss it’s kind-of soft and not as supportive as a firm spring mattress to begin with.
We removed the latex layer and slept on foam core for two weeks and it felt fine, much better than foam + cushion firm latex.
It wasn’t great because it needed a comfort layer but at least our spines were properly aligned.
According to Mario, this foam core can be described as "approximately 30-32 ILD.

I think that comfort description of latex layer on these “online mattress stores” is a little misleading.
In BB firmness chart the softest layer “14 ILD Super Soft” is described as “Recommended for side or back sleepers who enjoy sinking feeling”.
However, the aforementioned description is exactly how we feel about our 28 ILD “Cushion Firm” which is supposed to be “For Stomach,side,back sleepers- firmer feel with some softness”. May be if you put that latex on the floor, its “support” or “overall” firmness would be on the firm side, but being on top of a foam core which is softer than many spring mattress cores making it hard to call a “cushion firm”.
Let me tell you, when I lay on my side and run my hand down the spine it’s definitely caved in toward the floor which can’t be healthy. When I lay on the stomach I can’t even use a pillow because my body lays in a “U” shape where the middle sinks in and legs+head are up so it feels like someone is performing a wwe wrestling hold on my neck and upper back. When I lay on the back it feels kind-of like a hammock with hip down and legs+head up. Mind you, my body type is perfectly normal average type, so I wonder how an overweight or obese person’s spine will be aligned when the mattress takes the shape of his/her body.

[quote=“Phoenix” post=13077]
“softness” has different meanings to different people and there are different “species” of softness (for lack of a better description). Post #4 here talks a little more about this. different people will be more or less sensitive to either the “feel” of softness, the pressure relief softness, the support softness, or the “overall” softness of a mattress and each of these may be talking about very different things when they talk about the softness of a mattress.

Softness is also relative to the body type and sensitivity of each person. People who are heavier that sink into a foam will feel it is softer than someone who is lighter and the same foam doesn’t allow them to sink in as much.
Phoenix[/quote]

In my opinion the firmness level descriptions on these “online mattress stores” should be more informative because I think they describe the “feel” of softness rather than “support” or “overall” type of softness. If I knew that firmness level of 28 ILD on BB foam core will let my “slim/fit body type” to sink in the pressure points so much that my spine is misaligned , I would make a different firmness choice and get something much firmer taking into account that latex layer will get softer over time and in hot temperature.

The exchange layer will arrive in about a week so I will let you guys know how it works out, and for now I’m taking fire from my wife for making a poor choice :whistle:

Hi matrix11229,

Wow … that will certainly be one very firm comfort layer (44 ILD is the firmest ILD that is generally available from Latex International and is usually used for support cores) and outside the range of what most people would be comfortable sleeping on … even on their back but especially for side sleepers. Of course softness and firmness and the design of a mattress that works and feels best for each person is very subjective and relative and can be very different for different people so I’ll certainly be interested in your feedback when you’ve done the exchange :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Maybe I missed it, but what was the original number you ordered in the bamboo bliss? I am about to pull the trigger on one and want to make sure we get close to the right comfort level. I have been researching these mattresses for the past couple of weeks and am a little nervous about buying online without trying. We don’t have any stores around us that sell latex mattresses. We are back and side sleepers, but my wife likes a pillow yet firm feel to her side.

They stated a “Cushion Firm” … According to bb.com in relation to the Bamboo Bliss that is a 3 inch comfort layer of 28 ILD Blended Talalay.

Ok thanks, that is a level 5 on their website.

Yes it was level 5 “cushion firm” if you can call it so.

[quote=“Stu4084” post=30781]I am about to pull the trigger on one and want to make sure we get close to the right comfort level. I have been researching these mattresses for the past couple of weeks and am a little nervous about buying online without trying.
[/quote]

It would be hard to compare these mattresses in store because they may have different cores, while firmness of the comfort layer is affected by firmness of the core. For example I put the topper on the floor to check how it feels,and surprisingly it felt comfortable, more supportive than foam core + topper. I would prefer a firmer foam core if I went with level5 topper.

Yes it was level 5 “cushion firm” if you can call it so.

[quote=“Phoenix” post=30203]Hi matrix11229,

Wow … that will certainly be one very firm comfort layer (44 ILD is the firmest ILD that is generally available from Latex International and is usually used for support cores) and outside the range of what most people would be comfortable sleeping on … even on their back but especially for side sleepers. Of course softness and firmness and the design of a mattress that works and feels best for each person is very subjective and relative and can be very different for different people so I’ll certainly be interested in your feedback when you’ve done the exchange :slight_smile:

Phoenix[/quote]

We finally received an exchange layer (44 ild), and slept on it for a week.
You might be surprised Phoenix, but we are pretty comfortable on it.
If you press on it with your hand it feels soft; sitting is also comfortable because you don’t feel that you’re falling off the edge. Laying on it feels similar to a firm spring mattress with pillowtop. Feels very supportive and my spine is properly aligned .I wake up well rested and the mattress doesn’t feel hot anymore so we don’t wake up soaked in sweat. It’s a bit too firm for my taste, but my wife is happy and that’s what keeps me happy (because no-one is nagging :evil: ).
As far as I understand, latex will soften over time , so this mattress should be Perfect for me.

Hi matrix11229,

Thanks for the feedback.

While it’s somewhat surprising to me that anyone would be comfortable sleeping directly on a 44 ILD layer … I also know that people are so different that sometimes being surprised is more the norm than the exception :slight_smile:

Most importantly you’re happy … and more important yet … she’s happy!!!

Phoenix

I thought I liked a firm Latex mattress…wow!