BrooklynBedding Bamboo Bliss Latex Mattress

Hi ,

Thank you Phoenix for all the useful information. I would never know so much about mattresses without you B)

The following quote explains exactly how I feel about the comfort layer in my Bamboo Bliss “cushion firm 28 ILD” mattress.

[quote=“Phoenix” post=13077]
Generally … if pressure on the surface capillaries in the pressure points are reduced to below about 32 mmhg (a unit of pressure) for most people, then the capillaries won’t collapse with the pressure and the blood flow will be maintained. When this is achieved … the body doesn’t feel “pressure” or the urge to move and restore blood flow. Once you have reduced the pressure on the pressure points to the maximum possible … then there is no further benefit to sinking in any more. If the heavier parts keep on sinking because the comfort layers are softer and thicker than you need to achieve maximum pressure relief … then all that happens is that you lose alignment with no more benefit of more pressure relief.

Some people need more pressure relief than others because they are either more sensitive, have less muscle tone, sleep in more pressure prone positions, or because their capillaries “collapse” more easily for various reasons. These people will generally do best with the maximum possible depth of cradle that is beneficial but more than this introduces new risks for alignment that have no pressure relieving benefit.

In come cases … some people just prefer to sink in more deeply into the comfort layers and as long as this is done evenly without one part sinking in too much relative to the rest … then this is a matter of preference.

Phoenix[/quote]

I spoke to Mario from BB and ordered an exchange of latex layer. I went with the extra firm 44 ILD .

We like a firm mattress with a soft “pillowtop layer” meaning that we want a soft comfort layer for pressure relief and very supportive base core underneath for good spine alignment.
We are about 5’ 6, less than 150lbs , so we don’t require a strong support core layer for proper alignment vs a heavier person.

Regarding foam core in Bamboo Bliss it’s kind-of soft and not as supportive as a firm spring mattress to begin with.
We removed the latex layer and slept on foam core for two weeks and it felt fine, much better than foam + cushion firm latex.
It wasn’t great because it needed a comfort layer but at least our spines were properly aligned.
According to Mario, this foam core can be described as "approximately 30-32 ILD.

I think that comfort description of latex layer on these “online mattress stores” is a little misleading.
In BB firmness chart the softest layer “14 ILD Super Soft” is described as “Recommended for side or back sleepers who enjoy sinking feeling”.
However, the aforementioned description is exactly how we feel about our 28 ILD “Cushion Firm” which is supposed to be “For Stomach,side,back sleepers- firmer feel with some softness”. May be if you put that latex on the floor, its “support” or “overall” firmness would be on the firm side, but being on top of a foam core which is softer than many spring mattress cores making it hard to call a “cushion firm”.
Let me tell you, when I lay on my side and run my hand down the spine it’s definitely caved in toward the floor which can’t be healthy. When I lay on the stomach I can’t even use a pillow because my body lays in a “U” shape where the middle sinks in and legs+head are up so it feels like someone is performing a wwe wrestling hold on my neck and upper back. When I lay on the back it feels kind-of like a hammock with hip down and legs+head up. Mind you, my body type is perfectly normal average type, so I wonder how an overweight or obese person’s spine will be aligned when the mattress takes the shape of his/her body.

[quote=“Phoenix” post=13077]
“softness” has different meanings to different people and there are different “species” of softness (for lack of a better description). Post #4 here talks a little more about this. different people will be more or less sensitive to either the “feel” of softness, the pressure relief softness, the support softness, or the “overall” softness of a mattress and each of these may be talking about very different things when they talk about the softness of a mattress.

Softness is also relative to the body type and sensitivity of each person. People who are heavier that sink into a foam will feel it is softer than someone who is lighter and the same foam doesn’t allow them to sink in as much.
Phoenix[/quote]

In my opinion the firmness level descriptions on these “online mattress stores” should be more informative because I think they describe the “feel” of softness rather than “support” or “overall” type of softness. If I knew that firmness level of 28 ILD on BB foam core will let my “slim/fit body type” to sink in the pressure points so much that my spine is misaligned , I would make a different firmness choice and get something much firmer taking into account that latex layer will get softer over time and in hot temperature.

The exchange layer will arrive in about a week so I will let you guys know how it works out, and for now I’m taking fire from my wife for making a poor choice :whistle: