BrooklynBedding Vs. Dreamfoam bedding?

So I guess these are two different incarnations of the same factory/distributor?? (their physical addresses are just one street number apart in phoenix. I think one is for direct and internet sales and the other is amazon only?)

I’m trying to compare the Cool luxe from BB and the ultimate dreams 13" from DF.

[table]

[tr]
[td][/td]
[td]cool luxe[/td]
[td]ultimate dreams[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]cover[/td]
[td]knitted cover (cotton?)[/td]
[td]4way stretch cotton[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]top layer[/td]
[td]3" of 4lb gel mem foam[/td]
[td]3" of 4lb gel mem foam[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]mid layer[/td]
[td]2.5" of 5lb mem foam[/td]
[td]2" of 5lb mem foam[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]base layer[/td]
[td]7.5" of 2.17 lb base foam[/td]
[td]8" of 1.5lb base foam(?)[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]returns[/td]
[td]120day money back[/td]
[td]none(?)[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]freebies[/td]
[td]2 shredded latex pillows[/td]
[td]1 shredded latex pillow[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]price[/td]
[td]1249.00 (-5%?)[/td]
[td]799.00[/td]
[/tr]

[/table]

Both have 20 yr warranty…and free shipping/no tax.

I wonder is the 120day return period + slightly better materials worth the extra money ($387-450.00 depending on if they accept both the website promo code and the 5% discount)?

(I could get a 3" talalay latex topper for less than that difference, if the DF ultimate dreams turns out less than stellar, eh?)

Have any of you laid on both of these? Are they both more or less comparable to the tempurpedic cloud luxe? Thoughts?

Thanks!!

-rb

edit - I am 5’8" , 150lbs exclusive side sleeper and I found that the plush models of tempurpedic (cloud luxe) and serta (wellbeing refined) were quite to my liking in the showrooms…

The construction is quite different but at your small weight it would not matter nearly as much as for someone of my weight (6’1 320 lbs). However do make note of the return policy. If you do buy the DF from amazon it will carry a return policy from amazon.

I haven’t tried either but if they claim to feel like a temper cloud luxe then they probably do. I base this on the amazon and reviews here/elsewhere on the internet. If they didn’t feel “close enough” then you know people would call out them out on it.

I can add a little insight here… I purchased the dreamfoam ultimate dreams 13" over the summer after reading a lot of reviews both on this site as well as amazon. For whatever reason, the mattress was absolutely not for me. It felt nothing like the cloud luxe and I felt worse on that mattress than I did on my old, worn out innerspring.

In regards to returning the mattress. I’ve got an amazon prime account so that probably helped but I kept the mattress for about as long as I could before my return period was almost running out (over 4 weeks, i believe). At that point, the mattress was still hard as a rock when I laid on it but the edge would almost completely collapse if I got near it. I was able to return it at no charge as I had listed the reason as being defective. I feel that I was justified in that claim as it was pretty much unbearable to sleep on and did not appear to be anything like what I had read.

Understand that if you are to return a memory foam mattress, getting it packed is no easy feat. After trying a number of different things, I resorted to getting a roll of industrial shrink wrap, folding the mattress in half, and shrink wrapping the hell out of it. I compressed it as much as i could before wrapping it with rachet tie downs but it was nowhere near the size of when it was delivered obviously.

So long story short, my personal experience with the ultimate dreams was not good but as you probably read, many people highly recommend it. Maybe there was something wrong with mine? I don’t know. But at the very least, if you are considering it, you do have options when it comes to returning it.

Hi rxb609,

Yes they are sister companies that sell through different distribution channels (see post #4 here and post #3 here)

The Cool Luxe uses more costly materials in the mattress including a higher density and more durable base foam and it also has a free return policy while the Ultimate Dreams is either subject to Amazon’s large items return policy (if its Amazon fulfilled) or would require the cost involved in common carrier shipping to return it if it’s fulfilled by Dreamfoam.

They would both make good final choices between “good and good” and which one is the best choice for you would depend on how you felt about each one after your conversations with each of them and on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

I just purchased the Ultimate Eurotop 13" mattress and am wondering if I need to go to the softer side. Runnerb0y, what was the firmness you went with? The side collapse is a bit worrying, perhaps a bed frame with an edge is in order…

I think - from runnerb0y’s description - that he got the memory foam 13". If you got the eurotop, I think that means you have latex topped mattress. I also believe, if memory serves, that the 3inch latex top can be swapped (for a fee) on that model, if you want to go softer.

I guess my final, personal value evaluation depends on laying on them, which I cannot do. Argh.

Hi rxb609,

Yes … when you are considering any online purchase then personal testing on the mattress you purchase would be “replaced” by testing a comparable mattress locally (if the manufacturer is comparing them to a specific mattress you can test locally) along with your conversations with the manufacturer. There are also different ways that one mattress can “match” another one (see post #9 here)

The return or exchange policy of each manufacturer you are considering may also be a more important part of the purchase for many people in case your personal experience when you sleep on the mattress (which is when you have the chance to “test” the mattress) isn’t “close enough” to the mattress you tested locally that they are using as a comparison.

Phoenix

Yes, you are correct. All this mattress talk has me so confused. Appreciate the feed back.

[quote=“runnerb0y” post=31335]I can add a little insight here… I purchased the dreamfoam ultimate dreams 13" over the summer after reading a lot of reviews both on this site as well as amazon. For whatever reason, the mattress was absolutely not for me. It felt nothing like the cloud luxe and I felt worse on that mattress than I did on my old, worn out innerspring.

In regards to returning the mattress. I’ve got an amazon prime account so that probably helped but I kept the mattress for about as long as I could before my return period was almost running out (over 4 weeks, i believe). At that point, the mattress was still hard as a rock when I laid on it but the edge would almost completely collapse if I got near it. I was able to return it at no charge as I had listed the reason as being defective. I feel that I was justified in that claim as it was pretty much unbearable to sleep on and did not appear to be anything like what I had read.

Understand that if you are to return a memory foam mattress, getting it packed is no easy feat. After trying a number of different things, I resorted to getting a roll of industrial shrink wrap, folding the mattress in half, and shrink wrapping the hell out of it. I compressed it as much as i could before wrapping it with rachet tie downs but it was nowhere near the size of when it was delivered obviously.

So long story short, my personal experience with the ultimate dreams was not good but as you probably read, many people highly recommend it. Maybe there was something wrong with mine? I don’t know. But at the very least, if you are considering it, you do have options when it comes to returning it.[/quote]
I wish I saw this before purchasing this mattress. Agree 100% with your appraisal. It is apparent to me that the quality of the mattress is below my personal quality threshold. The mattress just doesn’t seem to maintain its shape with a person on it. Perhaps lightweight people would be ok with it. I’m overweight at 200lb and 5’7".

Hi blackbird,

Just to clarify your comments for the sake of accuracy … this is not a quality issue as much as a suitability issue. While the materials in your mattress are very high quality for the budget range of your mattress … I would agree that higher weights will often do better with higher density or firmer foams than more average weight ranges or lighter (see the memory foam guidelines here and the information here for some examples of some of the guidelines that are linked in the tutorial post) although this can vary widely from person to person because weight distribution, different body types, and different variations in sleeping positions and style can also make a significant difference.

Phoenix

I can agree with that.