Budget mattress for high BMI

So I have spent considerable time on this forum and checking out mattresses and speaking with “experts” at some of the online retailers mentioned on this site and I think I know which way I would like to go but I am looking for some confirmation that this would be a good choice. I am a big guy (6’2" and my BMI is in the 55-60 range). I know that it is going to be tough to find a mattress that will hold up for me for at that range and even more difficult given my budgetary limitations (~$1000). I have a disability so it is difficult for me to get out to the mattress stores so I am relying much more on talking with people and reading up on this site. I tend to be a stomach sleeper (though I have been sleeping on my back the last few months due to mattress issues) and I prefer a firmer bed. I also want something that has good side support as I need to be able to sit on the edge of the bed for transfers and what not (due to my disability). I am leaning heavily toward the DreamFoam Ult Dreams Eurotop Latex as it seems to be the most “sturdy” in my general budget. I feel like all latex is out of my price range and the latex/HD foam combo is the most likely to hold up. I have read all the general posts on mattresses and different materials and done the search for “heavy” on the forums as suggested. There was a lot of great info and you definitely saved me from heading down the S mattress route but I am looking for some reassurance that in my budget limits, this would be a good choice. I also want to make sure there is not something I am overlooking. Alot of the posts on mattresses for people of higher BMI’s are either brand specific (rather than comparative) or a few years old so I wanted to make sure I was not missing out on some newer superior choices that would fit what I need better. I am looking for a mattress that will last at least 6-7 years. So am I on the right track? Are there any other mattresses I should consider given the above info that might better suit my circumstances or be more durable? Just looking for a little final push before I commit. Thanks for any advice or help!

Hi prayformojo,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

While I know you’ve already done quite a bit of reading on the site, but for those visiting this thread, post #3 here has more information and suggestions about heavier weights that is worth reading.

I’m sorry to hear about your disability. Obviously you’ll want something using a firm support core or strong innerspring unit with a solid edge reinforcement unit, and then materials on top that are resilient and firmer, to help with your repositioning, your prone sleeping posture, and to match your BMI. Memory foam would generally be ruled out, and for an innerspring unit (if you went that route) some sort of a knotted offset using 13 gauge steel or stronger, or one of the better Bonnell units, might be worth investigating.

This would be a better choice than the “regular” Ultimate Dreams, as this model has a higher density base (2 lb) along with the ability to customize the 3" latex layer on top (I’d be sure to phone Dreamfoam again before placing an order for their recommendation of the ILD of latex to use). While this mattress doesn’t have specific edge reinforcement system per se, the HD polyfoam core does act as such to a degree. With your budget limitations, this certainly could be a good choice to include on your list. Dreamfoam is a member here of the site, and I do think highly of them and the value they provide.

The most important thing to pay attention to out of all of those posts would be the guidelines I linked to earlier about the specifications of componentry and attempting to find products using as high of a quality of material as your budget allows. I don’t keep a record of the individual mattresses or their specs that the retailers and manufacturers in the hundreds of forum lists throughout the forum carry on their floor or have available online (it would be a bigger job than anyone could keep up with in a constantly changing market) but checking their websites and making some preliminary phone calls to the retailers/manufacturers that are on the local or online lists is always a good idea before you decide on which retailers or manufacturers you wish to deal with anyway. There are many posts on the forum where people discuss particular brands for higher BMI individuals, but don’t take this as a complete compendium of all mattresses appropriate for such individuals, nor would a complete comparative spreadsheet be possible for anyone to achieve. The best I can do here is to assist with the “how” to choose versus the “what” and respond to queries about specific items presented, and as such I’m sorry that I don’t have a listing of higher BMI budget mattresses. But I certainly can respond to anything you’re considering.

There are also some lower budget latex and latex hybrid options that are listed in posts #3 and #4 here that are in “relatively” lower budget ranges (although some of these may be more than your budget).

There are many factors that determine mattress durability, not just the componentry used within the mattress, but also the BMI of the individual using the mattress and the use patterns as well. Without knowing exactly what you’ll eventually purchasing, keeping within your budget limitations and with your specific circumstances, I would think that five years could be a reasonable expectation for a “comfort life”.

I know that you find it difficult getting out to visit local stores, but sometimes there are local manufacturers or brands who do offer products that may work for you. If you wish to provide your zip code I can see if I am aware of any such offerings near your area.

Phoenix

Thanks for your advice Phoenix. Do you think a coil hybrid would be a “better” choice than the latex/foam hybrids for my circumstances? I can’t find any all latex choices that fit in my price range so I am assuming that is out so I just want to make sure I consider all my options. If you think I should consider coil hybrids, are there any you could recommend or just suggest I consider? As for my zip code, I am in the Denver metro area (80027) so if you have any recommendations in the area, I would be open to checking them out as well. Thanks for any further help!

In looking at coil/latex hybrids, I came across this one from Flexus: QUADRA-Flex® Pocket Coil Latex Mattress - Flexus Comfort

Do you feel this would be better suited for my situation? I know you don’t really do recommendations but given the comparison between the Dreamfoam Eurotop and this one from Flexus, which do you think would better suit my needs?

Hi prayformojo,

From the link I provided you earlier, and from the site members listed in post #21 here, and keeping around your price range for latex, at a quick glance I found:
Mattresses.net had two hybrid spring offerings using latex.
SleepEZ has their Roma mattress using latex and their 7" Select Sleep all-latex.
My Green Mattress has a few different offerings using latex or springs with latex.
Luma Sleep has their Hybrid mattress using springs and latex.
Sleep on Latex has an all-latex mattress.
Latex Mattress Factory has an all-latex mattress.

The innerspring units featured in the above list do use heavier gauge steel around the perimeter. This type of system doesn’t feel like a chair when seated on the edge, but it is stronger than the springs in the interior of the innerspring unit and the main advantage is to keep you from rolling out of the bed when sleeping close to the edge.

I would encourage you to phone any of these companies directly and acquire their advice about your situation and see if they would have specific recommendations with these products for your application, Many of them are offered with your choice of ILD of latex in the upper comfort layer.

Subject to first confirming that any retailer or manufacturer on the list that you wish to visit is completely transparent ( see this article ) and to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here … the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Denver/Boulder, CO area are in post #2 here .

Phoenix