Build A Bed Workshop

I am looking for a new mattress, leaning towards the latex and diy route.
I am located in NE Ohio. male, 25YO, 180 lbs, just me on mattress
Prefer softer mattress but still solid support for my lower back, back sleeper (sometimes I sleep on my side probably from my back hurting idk)
Problems with my current mattress (cheap firm interspring, 2" of fluff idk what it is)
Hurts my lower back probably from being too firm
Noisy
Too hard

The mattresses stores I’ve been to have almost no information about the beds there besides the “special features” and the brand/model name. Does any one know of any places nearby (NE Ohio, so youngstown/cleveland/meadville/hermitage/new castle, pa)that sell just latex mattresses or can you convert foam → latex comfort?

Queen size because Twin is too narrow and Full XL is more difficult to find sheets and usually same price or more expensive than queen so why not?
I am favoring a 100% natural latex mattress 9" (3 layers should be enough?) from sleeponlatex.com (they are reasonably priced and aren’t doing any deceptive advertising right? I have 0% brand loyalty so suggest somewhere else if you want idc) but what layers (soft+medium+firm or soft +medium+medium or idk?)
Looking for fabric to wrap around the layers that protects the latex from liquids, body fluids, etc that is washable and reasonably cheap?
As for foundation, I can build a slat foundation (maybe make it adjustable? either manually or electrically but that’s another project) Probably 1x3 slats every 2" with vertical 1x4s around the edges and through the center (gotta do some calculations I suppose, but it sounds right)

Wanting 100% natural latex (because of durability , no extra chemicals (even if they are to prevent flame spread, would rather not have undiscovered yet health problems later in life) a cover that is reasonably “everything proof” that is stretchable and doesn’t change the feel of the bed.
Prefer to diy because it is usually cheaper, more repairable later (well changeable when talking about mattresses I guess), and more fun

As a side project, if I order some latex foam to replace cushions in couches/chairs should I get 40+ ILD?

Hello Awesome,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Cleveland/Akron/Canton, OH areas (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets your own criteria and the quality/value guidelines here) are listed in post #2 here. I’m not aware of which stores may or may not carry latex, or have component systems where the layers may be changed out.

Most people end up using queen sheets just because of the exact situation you described for their full extra long mattresses, and full XL frames are also not as readily available.

The thickness of the mattress is more of a side-effect of the level of comfort your looking to create, but for most individuals, yes, a 9" latex mattress can be made to feel quite comfortable for a back/side sleeper of your body mass.

Sleep on Latex is a member here on the site, which means that I think highly of them and the quality of their products. If you’re interested in looking at other online companies, you could use the experience and expertise of the members listed in post #21 here who are all very experienced and knowledgeable and specialize in providing the type of help and guidance on the phone that can help you make good choices. There are a wide range of latex options included in the choices there and I believe that all of them compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (Talalay or Dunlop, resilience, firmness etc.) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs, options, and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else. You can also learn about any exchange, return, or any options they have available to customize a mattress after a purchase to help lower the risk of an online purchase. These online retailers or manufacturers can also be a good “value reference” for local purchases to make sure that if you are paying a “premium” for a local purchase (in exchange for the kind of “in person” guidance, service, and value that comes with dealing with a local retailer that can help you make more “accurate” choices that you have tested in person) is not too high.

Different manufacturers will offer various cover choices to complete the component mattress (popular ones are spandex/viscose/rayon/polyester blends, or cotton/wool covers), and then over that you could place some sort of mattress protector with a waterproof membrane (polyurethane is popular). A few good references for mattress protectors are in post #89 here and this post here.

That sounds like good spacing between the slats and with good center reinforcement you should be fine. If you create your own foundation feel free to share a photo or two.

All of the latex you are likely to encounter will be what I would classify as a good quality material compared to other types of foam. If you’re interested in 100% NR, you’ll be able to find that in both Talalay and Dunlop from many of the companies I previously linked.

You’ll usually be looking at either a natural flame retardant barrier, like wool, or a non-toxic rayon fiber blended with silica to meet federal flammability standards for the items you’re considering.

The main job of the cover will be to hold the components in place and also, in some cases, to pass flammability standards. Cotton covers with wool quilted into them can be quite durable, but they will be stiffer (especially initially when new) and many of them are spot-clean only. The least obtrusive covers will tend to be the stretch-knit variety, commonly a polyester/elastin mix, or even something like a viscose/spandex/rayon blend. There are even some cotton stretch-knit covers, but you’d want to check on the thickness of those for durability. As far as “everything proof”, you’d want to rely more upon the mattress protector for that.

Since you are attracted to the idea of designing and building your own DIY mattress out of separate components that are purchased from one or several different sources, then the first place I would start is by reading option 3 in po st #15 here and the posts it links to (and option #1 and #2 as well) so that you have more realistic expectations and that you are comfortable with the learning curve, uncertainty, trial and error, or in some cases the higher costs that may be involved in the DIY process. While it can certainly be a rewarding project … the best approach to a DIY mattress is a “spirit of adventure” and fun (just as you stated) where what you learn and the satisfaction that comes from the process itself is more important than any cost savings you may realize (which may or may not happen). If you can, I would either use the specs (if they are available) of a mattress that you have tested and confirmed is a good match for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP as a reference point or blueprint and try and “match” every layer and component in your reference mattress as closely as possible, or alternatively use a “bottom up” approach (see post #2 here).

Couch cushions aren’t my specialty, but a 40 ILD would be a pretty firm thick couch cushion. Like so many things, it would come down to your own careful testing at an upholstery shop. I have posted previously about this exact topic and there may be some information you find useful in post #4 in this thread.

Phoenix

At the mattress store soft/med/med works for me but it’s $2500 from savvy rest, so I figure I’d spend $928 at sleeponlatex (3+6) for the same thing but I still need to protect it but can’t decide what to get, most of them are just fitted sheets(need ticking, but dual functions or 2 layers might work I guess)

How does savvy rest firmness levels compare to flexuscomfort, sleeponlatex, cozypure, etc?

BTW idc about flammability standards, just if it’s there, something like wool. Also has to be washable and durable and not let any of me or dust mites etc into the foam (yea latex is resistant but gotta be safe)

Hi Awesome,

You’ll need a mattress cover (what completes the mattress set and helps hold the foam in place) and then a protector/pad/encasement over that which is what keeps everything clean and is washable. Component mattress manufacturers will often offer different mattress covers, so you’d need to speak with them directly to decide what works best for you needs. I already linked in my previous reply to some good mattress protector options to be placed over/around your finished mattress.

You’ll need to place a phone call directly with any manufacturer that you’re considering to find out exactly how their latex compares to what you’ve previously sampled. They’ll be best able to assist you with approximating what you’ve already sampled in a local showroom and they’ll best know how their current styles/blends/brands of latex compare to your reference point.

All products are required to meet federal flammability standards unless you have a prescription from a health care professional. The good news is that many latex manufacturers offer mattress coves that meet these guidelines using only wool for the FR barrier, as is your preference. This would be contained in the mattress cover. Then, for protection and washability, you’ll need some sort of mattress pad/protector/encasement to be placed over that finished mattress.

Phoenix

The links were only text in that paragraph, couldn’t click on them.

Hi Awesome,

The links were in my reply (post #2), in my sixth paragraph. I’ll copy that for you again here. I checked, and the links are working:

Different manufacturers will offer various cover choices to complete the component mattress (popular ones are spandex/viscose/rayon/polyester blends, or cotton/wool covers), and then over that you could place some sort of mattress protector with a waterproof membrane (polyurethane is popular). A few good references for mattress protectors are in post #89 here and this post here.

Phoenix

Well i was talking about:
“Since you are attracted to the idea of designing and building your own DIY mattress out of separate components that are purchased from one or several different sources, then the first place I would start is by reading option 3 in po st #15 here and the posts it links to (and option #1 and #2 as well) so that you have more realistic expectations and that you are comfortable with the learning curve, uncertainty, trial and error, or in some cases the higher costs that may be involved in the DIY process. While it can certainly be a rewarding project … the best approach to a DIY mattress is a “spirit of adventure” and fun (just as you stated) where what you learn and the satisfaction that comes from the process itself is more important than any cost savings you may realize (which may or may not happen). If you can, I would either use the specs (if they are available) of a mattress that you have tested and confirmed is a good match for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP as a reference point or blueprint and try and “match” every layer and component in your reference mattress as closely as possible, or alternatively use a “bottom up” approach (see post #2 here).”

What are some reasonable choices for mattress ticking (to put the foam in)?

Hi Awesome,

I see, you’re looking for mattress cover options – no problem!

If you go to the component post page (post #4 here), scroll down to the bottom of the post and you’ll find a heading titled, FOR MATTRESS or TOPPER COVERS. There will be a list of companies that have encasements to contain the foam layers in a DIY mattress.

I hope that is helpful!

Phoenix