Building my Mattress

Hi Phoenix,

So I am in the process of designing my own mattress and I am really enjoying it. I am in a very low budget (200) for a Queen. I don’t need the mattress to last me for more than a few years. I was wondering what is the lowest density polyfoam base layer I could use in order to achieve that. (1.5 pounds?)

Also while I like memory foam I don’t like the heat or the fact that it doesn’t bounce. Would putting memory foam over the base layer (like 2 inches) and then comfort polyfoam (another 2 inches) eliminate some of that while still keeping some of the properties of the mattress.

I know this seems a little ridiculous but this is more of a hobby than anything anyone would actually do. I am actually having a lot of fun learning about it all and challenging myself to make my own mattress. Any tips are greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Hi mattresschallenge,

Yes, I’d recommend no lower than 1.5 lb density for the polyfoam core, and at a firmer IFD (upper 30s or so).

Yes, placing a polyfoam layer over the memory foam will retain some of the “deadness” of the memory foam, but add some of the resilience and breathability from the polyfoam on top of it.

Phoenix

Thank you for the response!

I have decided to go with a 5 inch high density (1.5 Ib) polyfoam support layer, then a 2 inch memory foam comfort layer (3 Ib) rated, and then 2 inches of comfort polyfoam.

What did you think of this configuration? Do you think 2 inches of memory foam is worth it? Also I am having trouble finding comfort polyfoam. Do you have any recommendations on where to find it?

Thank you!

Hi mattresschallenge,

I know cost is a factor, so I’m guessing that is why you went with 3 lb memory foam versus 4 lb. I definitely think you will notice the feel of the 2" of memory foam in your experiment.

I would start by looking at the different vendors in the component post here. If you scroll down, you will see a section for polyfoam.

Phoenix