Buis Mattress in Holland, MI

I just wanted to put in a good word for Buis Mattress (Underground Mattress Members). We were looking for a latex bed and went there to see what they could do for us after a lot of research online. We were very pleased with the owner and his son. They were very helpful, informative, honest, and just nice people.

We could not be happier with our purchases. They treated us so well and answered numerous phone calls in a pleasant way (even when we kept changing our mind on what we wanted (bunkie boards, no bunkie boards; box springs, no box springs, etc.). We also bought two 100% natural Rejunvenite Talalay latex pillows (low profile), which we are loving.

They had two latex mattresses in stock that you could try in the store, in addition to innerspring mattresses that they make in their store/factory, which also seemed impressive (if you like innerspring mattresses). They also sell memory foam mattresses but seem to discourage you from buying memory foam unless that’s the only option you will consider. (I believe they do not consider them a good value, and I agree!) They had one 100% natural latex mattress and one mattress that was a blended Talalay (Latex Intl). We went with the blended Talalay 36 ILD core (6 inch–Med. Firm) and a topper (3-inch blended Talalay 28 ILD (Medium). I believe that Buis will work with you in getting whatever firmness you’d like to try. The price was very reasonable for top-notch quality. I searched a LOT of places, and their prices were great.

My husband and I are in our 50s. We both have had herniated discs and wanted a firmer bed. We both sleep on our sides and backs. I am 5’5" at 123 pounds, and my husband is 5"9" at 175 pounds. My husband checked me with the yardstick test for spinal alignment (mentioned on this site), and my back alignment was good with this bed. We have had the mattress now for a month and are very happy with it. However, it took us a little while to get used to the mattress because we had slept on a partial-wave waterbed for the last 30 years.

Bottom line: We love our new mattress, and we love the people at Buis. My husband is in charge of maintenance for a high-end hotel in town and he plans on buying from Buis for future mattress purchases. Buis is an outstanding, family-owned business that takes pride in their work and in their products. We are recommending them to all our family and friends and hope they continue to be in business for many years to come.

By the way, we are not friends or relatives and have no special reason to praise Buis Mattress other than that we were very impressed with them and their products.

Jennifer S. from St. Joseph, MI

P.S. After educating ourselves on this website, we went to some different stores that sold mattresses and found out that what MU says is true: We actually knew more about mattresses than the sales people did (with the exception of Buis). We knew exactly what questions to ask in order to determine the quality of the products, and we recognized right away when sales people were trying to mislead us or steering us in the wrong direction. So a big thank you to MU not only for that, but also for our 5% discount for being members here. That was a VERY nice bonus! :slight_smile:

Hi itbgc,

Thanks for taking the time to share such detailed and helpful feedback about Buis … I appreciate it!

I couldn’t agree with you more about their knowledge and service … and of course the quality and value of their mattresses … and it’s great to see you did such good research and ended up making such a great choice.

It’s also sad but true that so many of the members here know more than the salespeople in the mainstream industry that sell mattresses that far too many people end up buying and and hopefully … one step at a time … more educated and informed consumers can begin to create a groundswell that can begin to change the industry.

Most importantly of all … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

It’s also great to see that Buis may have some additional business as a side effect of your purchase … they certainly deserve it IMO.

Thanks again for sharing your experience.

Phoenix

Glad I found this site! I’m in the market for a latex mattress with as many organic or “natural” components as possible, and I was close to pulling the trigger on an Astrabed. Sure, it may be comfortable, but I’m concerned about the way they advertise. Plus, they never responded to an email inquiry from me.

So I found the Buis Mattress website and am intrigued, but before I get my hopes up, do you know if they deliver to CA? I’ve sent an inquiry via email, but I’m anxious to find another option and shore this up this weekend if Buis is not an option.

I’m in a state of information overload right now, as I’ve been researching with free time for the better part of a month. I’m going to look a bit further into your “post #21” that has a nice latex/green list, too.

Thanks!

Hi kweston17,

I don’t know for certain but the shipping costs could certainly make a significant difference in the purchase price because they would likely need to ship them with common carrier.

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d also be happy to let you know of any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix. Thanks for the quick reply. I’m in the Los Angeles area. I know that Foam Sweet Foam is not too far away, but I’m not very familiar with them.

Hi kweston,

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Los Angeles region are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Very helpful. Thanks, Phoenix!