Buis or Mattress to Go

I live in the Ft Wayne Indiana area and don’t seem to have a lot to choose from as far as local manufactures or even high quality outlets.

I’m about 2 1/2 hours from Buis which would actually be an enjoyable drive not to mention that Holland, MI is a nice town to visit. Based on a brief conversation with Bill at Buis, some Google research and the posts within this forum, I feel that I could walk into Buis totally uneducated and they would take care of me. A disadvantage to Buis is they will require two trips. One for ordering and one for pickup.

Another option is Mattress-To-Go. They are about three hours away, but would only require one trip, assuming they have what I want in stock . Again, I feel that I could spend an hour with Jeff and he would take care of me.

At Mattress-To-Go, this or something similar from the same series would be in my price range

https://www.matt-to-go.com/KI_American_Splendor_PT.html

Or, the below mattress is available in three flavors and has already been discussed on this forum and seems to be a very quality mattress, although a little pricier.

https://www.matt-to-go.com/ET_Preston.html

Is my assumption correct that I could walk into either of these places and get a quality mattress that is suited for me and is fairly priced?

I really appreciate this forum being here. I’m a member of several other internet forums and generally have something to offer to my fellow posters, but unfortunately I will be nearly silent on this one. I will, however, share my buying experience when it’s complete.

Thanks again,
Mike
Columbia City, IN

I’m from Grand Rapids and my wife and I stopped in at Buis a little over a week ago, as we’re unhappy with a recent purchase from Saatva. The guys at Buis were extremely helpful and informative, the owner even took me on a tour of their manufacturing section, to show me the different foams and materials that they use. He never once tried to pressure me into purchasing anything. He just told me exactly how mattresses are made, what makes them more supportive, or softer, the different types of springs, the different windings and gauges of wire. The guy knows his stuff and is more than willing to share that knowledge.

All in all, Buis is really great. We didn’t purchase anything on that day, only because my wife is still upset over the cost that we spent on the Saatva that is essentially an uncomfortable, though nice looking piece of crap. If you make the trip, you won’t be disappointed.

Hi shrdhead7,

Yes … this would be a good assumption for any of the members here (and many of the better retailers or manufacturers that are listed throughout the forum that aren’t members yet as well). Of course it’s always a good idea to make some good comparisons based on the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

While a drive to Buis or Matt-To-Go would certainly be worthwhile if you are comfortable driving that far … some of the better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Ft Wayne / South Bend area are listed in post #4 here.

Phoenix

Thanks Guys.

I did stop into Furniture Row, which is actually a Denver Mattress store. I saw the Ichoice mattresses, but the sales help is typical of most furniture stores. In general, they we’re uninformed and wanted to push the major brands.

The link to Sleepback Therapy took me to a NiagraTherpy website. Their products seem to be geared towards the physically impaired.

issu.com seems to be an outdated link that took me to some unrelated advertisements. I think the following link will take you to a brochure of the products.

http://issuu.com/heritageamishfurniture/docs/heartland_mattress_2011revised

Elkhart Bedding may have some possibilities, but there website is not specific about materials.

Michiana Mattress is a link to Lippert Industries, an RV supplier.

The following site is for Custom Mattress Outlet in Fort Wayne. I will stop in and see what they have to offer. They do carry part of the Therapedic brand and have been around for 35 years.

http://www.goshenroadbeds.com/Home_Page.php

Hi lakebilly,

That’s unfortunate that this location was like that and that’s sometimes the case with some of the regional factory direct manufacturers where the employees at some locations are more informed and knowledgeable than others. In general most of their locations have some knowledgeable and helpful salespeople and they make some good quality/value options and are also completely transparent about what is inside them.

They make a line of modular mattresses (including latex) where you can choose the types of materials and components that you prefer inside them (innersprings, latex, polyfoam, memory foam etc) as well as others. They would be worth a phone call and/or a visit.

Thanks for the heads up. I’ve changed their link on the list.

Thanks for the heads up about the changed URL here as well. I’ve changed the link in the list to their online catalog here.

Most websites don’t list the detailed specifics of their mattresses so in most cases you would need to call them to see if they have the type of mattresses you would be interested in testing on their floor but they mostly carry one and two sided traditional innerspring mattresses.

Therapedic is a national licensee group (they are in the top 15 manufacturers) and some of their regional licensees are open and transparent about the materials they use inside their mattresses although in most areas they don’t make all latex mattresses. Custom Mattress Outlet seems to carry a wide range of their brands so they would be well worth including in your research and I’ve added them to the Fort Wayne list as well (assuming they are able to tell you the specifics of what is inside the mattresses they carry or call their Therapedic licensee if they don’t have the information readily available).

Thanks for the update(s) :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Lakebilly,

I also live in Ft. Wayne and trying to find the right latex bed for myself and can tell you Niagra Therpy is not just for the physically impaired. Jeff Hibler the president is very knowledgeable and helpful to get you whatever you need in the mattress industry.

Give them a try. Their showroom is on Coldwater north of I69.

Thanks Swrstock.

I will give Niagra a try as well. I think I’m mostly interested in an innerspring mattress. Do you know of any other place I should be looking at?

So far, I will be looking at the following:

NIagra
Custom Mattress Outlet (Goshen Road)

Thanks Shreadhead.

I’m very tempted to end my search and head straight to Buis. It’s a bit of a drive, but overall it might save me time.

Have heard nothing but good about them.

Hi lakebilly,

I did a little extra research in the area and added a couple of “possibilities” to the Fort Wayne area.

Other than that … the lists I linked include all the better options and possibilities I’m aware of.

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=34498]Hi lakebilly,

I did a little extra research in the area and added a couple of “possibilities” to the Fort Wayne area.

Other than that … the lists I linked include all the better options and possibilities I’m aware of.

Phoenix[/quote]

Thanks Phoenix. I forgot about Corona Bedding. I will check them out as well.

Also, an FYI, Custom Mattress Outlet used to make their own beds as well and should be very knowledgeable tool. They are a family run business and a tradition in Ft. Wayne. They have been unexpectedly closed for the last several days, but I will stop in once they reopen. I’ll keep you posted.

Also, do you have any knowledge about the XL series of beds in the following link:

http://www.goshenroadbeds.com/XL_Extended_Life.html

Thanks for the help.

Any thoughts on the mattresses in the link below, specifically the Refresh at the upper right?

Symbol is listed as ‘Some Possibiltiy’ in the top 16 list.

This place is local but I had pretty much discounted them based on some of the posts in the forum regarding Symbol. The fact that this particular mattress has the more expensive pocket coils caught my eye. It also has 1.8 lb foam in one of the layers.

http://mattressmanfortwayne.com/our-selection/

Hi lakebilly,

Outside of testing a mattress for PPP … the most important part of choosing a mattress is knowing the quality of the construction and the materials inside it so if you can provide the specs for both of the mattresses you are considering I’d be happy to make some comments about them (see this article for the specs you would need to know).

[quote]Also, do you have any knowledge about the XL series of beds in the following link:

www.goshenroadbeds.com/XL_Extended_Life.html[/quote]

The King Koil XL mattresses tend to use higher quality/density materials than the rest of their lineup because they are designed for higher weights. You can see some of my thoughts about one of them in post #12 here but you would need to know the specific details of the model you are considering to make sure that it doesn’t have any weak links and to make meaningful comparisons with other mattresses.

[quote]Any thoughts on the mattresses in the link below, specifically the Refresh at the upper right?

Symbol is listed as ‘Some Possibiltiy’ in the top 16 list.

This place is local but I had pretty much discounted them based on some of the posts in the forum regarding Symbol. The fact that this particular mattress has the more expensive pocket coils caught my eye. It also has 1.8 lb foam in one of the layers.

mattressmanfortwayne.com/our-selection/[/quote]

The “some possibility” means that there is “some possibility” that you will be able to find out the quality/density of the materials inside it … not that there is “some possibility” that any of their specific mattresses would be a good quality or value choice. If your retailer can provide the specs you need about all the layers in the mattress (and in particular the density of the top two memory foam layers) and you can post them on the forum I’d be happy to make some comments about it and help you identify any potential weak link in the mattress. I would avoid any mattress where this information isn’t available to you.

Phoenix