Burning sensation in finger from sleeping in mattress?

Dear Phoenix,

I"ve written several replies but it seems like you haven’t gotten notified of them, maybe because I replied to myself accidentally?
I am still hoping to figure out which topper would make the MGM work for me.

I’ll send you an update shortly with more details. Would you catch up and check my last three responses? And let me know how to make sure you get informed about my new replies?
Thanks so much,
Annika

Annika, I know you were asking for Phoenix to respond but in the meantime I figure I would just add a few comments that might help. Even though you are complaining about burning sensation that sounds like it may be an alignment issue (again assuming there isn’t some underlying medical conditions at play) especially when I hear someone say something like I needed a full body massage after sleeping (although it would be very helpful to know exactly where you were sore neck/back/hips/etc). My suggestion is to have someone take a photo at bed level with you on your side and then use a straight edge to make sure your spine is in fact straight when sleeping. You should be able to draw a straight line from the base of the neck to your tailbone and the top of the head should be in line with the spine as well. This will tell you where your problem areas likely are (see photo).

I don’t know what your BMI and height are so I can’t really make any recommendations on toppers or upper layers that might be helpful but adding more soft toppers to a bed won’t ever fix an alignment issue (toppers should be used for pressure relief). It sounds like you may have some neck issues at play too so pay careful attention to your neck angle in the photo (you may need to address your pillow height as a result). Check your alignment first and let us know how you make out and then I’m sure Phoenix will chime in as well on how best to proceed from there.

Thank you! Yes I am realizing when I speak about good alignment, I mean that I don’t have any lower back pain.
So am I correct to assume this:
Pressure on the arm is an issue of pressure relief, not alignment.
Tension in neck and shoulders down to midback is an issue of alignment of the upper body.
Or it could be due to twisting because of pressure… Mh
I will try to get those lines as you suggested.

I am 5’9" tall and weigh about 140lbs. So does my husband. He is very skinny. I have wide hips and it appears that I have wide shoulders for a woman too.

Here my notes on symptoms as far as I could track them back, and some questions on how to proceed:
MGMattress itself has a top layer of 3" latex (I think 22-24 ild):

• Gives me great alignment.
  • Needs more pressure relief → side sleeping tingling in hands and feet, too firm
  • Back sleeping shoulder tension, seems impossible to have right pillow

My husband sleeps well on it on his back and mediocre on his side, worse with the topper (see below).

Added 2" dunlop latex topper 14-18 ild. Density 55:

• Still some tingling in hands but less
  • Alignment good no lower back pain,
  • more shoulder and neck tension

Added 4" of same Dunlop latex topper:

• alignment still seems fine aka no lower back pain
  • Too soft to sit or lay on belly on (have a baby and can’t read books to her on the bed comfortably)
  • much body soreness

Added 2" Walmart mainstays gel infused memory foam topper (firmness 3.75/10):

• Fairly good pressure relief, could be more (3"?)
  • however changed alignment, leading to lower back pain, which makes it an even worse option
  • stinks, I want a natural material

Unfortunately I don’t remember well my symptoms on the avocado, since I haven’t tested it much and i couldn’t tell a consistent pattern:
Avocado mattress itself has a top layer of 2" dunlop latex (i think 22-24ild)

• I think I slept better on my back on it, usually firmer mattresses allow me to sleep well on belly and back
  • caused tingling too in hands and feet

Added 4" dunlop topper (14-19ild) to the avocado:

• I remember it felt good but i eventually had some symptoms that made me not want to sleep on it anymore, plus my husband not liking the avocado

In the past I tried an innerspring with a 24ILD topper and had midback/shoulder tension, but good alignment.

Questions:
1. What can I test to improve pressure relief without messing up alignment, to see if I can make the MGM work?
2. Or else: what would seem like a better fit/solution
3. How about other options like adding microcoils? Which type/height, where do I order those… (any “green” company?)? I’d preferably be looking for microcoils without memory foam.
4. Wondering if I could imitate something like the medcline pillow. I bought the solid avocado latex pillow but it doesn’t work for me. unfortunately i thought it was non refundable so I have that laying around, plus a pregnancy body pillow.

I struggle applying the picture to the curve of my spine.
I’ll attach pictures on the mattress on my left and on my right side and on the 2" Topper and 4"(folded double). What do you see?
Clearly it curves up at the shoulder, but does that mean too soft or too firm?
And what is the conclusion, other than that as is, the alignment with this mattress is not good.

I just added 3 more pictures, one on the floor (carpet) to see what too firm looks like, the other two on an old spring mattress that works ok for me, but in other sleep positions (with twisted spine).

Annika, thanks for the photos, very helpful to diagnose what’s going on with your situation. It’s very much what I expected in that you are very curvy with a relatively slim build. I can totally understand why you might have thought this was a pressure issue but when you look at the photos and draw the line down your spine as I suggested, you can see that it’s really an alignment issue (major neck and upper back issues). The fact you have wide hips and shoulders with a narrow waist means that you are basically in the “too firm” scenario that I posted above. This is also confirmed because you can also see how lying on the floor doesn’t really change much versus being on your bed. It also makes sense the numbness and tension in the neck and upper back because what normally happens is that since your hips and shoulder are the high spots the waist will bow towards the bed until it finds support.

Your shoulders are typically the widest point but having a very narrow waist exacerbates the issues tremendously. So what happens is since your waist isn’t supported well, your shoulders (and to some extent your hips) are bottoming out early and as a result instead of sinking into the bed the shoulders are being jammed back into the body (bowing out the shoulder blades) which results in a very unnatural position. In the case of people that are more curvy like you or I this can cause all sorts of issues like numbing, neck/upper back tension/pain, etc. Often people dealing with this will try to compensate for this issue by twisting the body to try to get the shoulder not to dig in so hard but this often just causes more pain, aches and soreness in the morning. You can clearly see from the photos you posted that your neck and spine are neither straight nor parallel with the bed and that’s your issue. You also have a very low BMI so adding those low ILD toppers helped in some cases (waist still wasn’t supported) but never really solved the issue because it didn’t really address the alignment problem you were dealing with.

So the next question is great, now what? A scenario like yours would definitely be a perfect case for someone likely needing zoned support. If you want to be comfortable sleeping then it’s very important that your hips and shoulders are allowed to travel into the bed while your waist is being properly supported (which clearly isn’t the case currently as your photos show). If you are determined to make your current mattress work then you will likely need to add quite a few toppers and modify them to make it comfortable for you. With a build like yours at the very least you should be using all talalay toppers (except maybe dunlop in zoned support) because they have alot more give to conform to your curves. Alternatively it would be alot cleaner to start with a bed that allows adjustable latex layers inside (either hybrid or full latex). You may still need to do some modifying to make it work for you (due to your shape and BMI) but one major benefit is it would also allow for it to be tailored on the other side for your husband as well. If you were building an all talalay latex bed then the layers would look something like 2" (14-15ILD) / 3" (22 ILD) / 3" (28 ILD) / 3" (32 ILD) to start. From there you’d need to verify your spine alignment and then make corrections as needed. Anyway, these are just suggestions but I hope this gives you some options for how to fix your issue.

Thank you for your assessment. I can clearly see now how it’s an alignment issue. I had thought it wasn’t because my lower back seemed at times well aligned.
I am still very confused how to tell the difference between too firm and too soft. This, I feel, is the first thing I need to fully understand, for any further evaluations to be effective. Can you help me see what you see?
I made an overview of the different spine fotos in the order from firm to soft. Could you assess those again and tell me if at any point something is too soft?
Can you tell me why the softest version I tried, with the soft topper doubled, won’t eliminate the issue?
The layering suggestion you made is pretty close to the MGM with one layer of the 2" topper, except for it’s dunlop latex. Also the MGM has a 5% firmer hip area (springs), the avocado had 12% firmer springs in the hip area.
Would it then make sense to try these two mattresses with laying with my hip below the firmer area?
My husband suggests the simplest solution, to just put a pillow in my waist.

Now what? I am not sure that latex will work for me… I have tried a lot already (some of which is layed out in former posts).
I do not want to try to make the MGM work if it’s not a good start, and I don’t want endless toppers on top (too much height difference with my husbands side), we can return it. I do wonder though if a non-solid base (flexible boards) could resolve the alignment issue.
Interestingly I felt super comfortable when trying a water bed (many years ago so not the most reliable assessment). I’ve been wondering why there aren’t water bed toppers, basically a 3" layer of encased water. That way it wouldn’t take as much electricity to keep the water at body temperature…

I wonder which company I should look at to see where to go from here.
Can you make some suggestions?

Annika, let me explain what I see from the photos (very helpful BTW) so you can hopefully solve your issue. It’s really not a question of being too firm or too soft, the issue is that I have serious doubts whether an combo of toppers (unless they are zoned) will fix your issue. When you look at the photos I always draw a straight line down the spine (for side sleeping position) in order to see if you are in the correct posture for sleeping. Forget about whether or not you may feel pressure on the hips/shoulder, just focus on alignment only. So if you take the tailbone as a neutral point in the photo and I told you you had to make adjustments to your posture to straighten out the line what would you do? In almost every case you would need to raise your waist the lower your shoulder to have a straight line again (same as if you were standing straight up, that will be the most comfortable posture for anyone).

You can see what I mean by how to correct the posture here:

Now that we know what you need to do physically to make the posture correct, how do we do this with a bed? Well, we need more firm support in the waist area and we need more give/travel in the shoulder to straighten it out properly. So in every combo you posted you can see the situation is exactly the same (to varying degrees). This is why in your case I would strongly suggest having a mattress where you can adjust the comfort layers yourself (ie the mattress is fully zippable). I’m not here to sell you one mattress brand over another or what to return/keep so I won’t make any recommendations there but my goal is to show you how to look for what you need and help you out how to create support/comfort and tailor that to your specific needs. I would also suggest in your specific case you should always be using talalay over dunlop because you have a lower BMI and you are quite curvy (which suits talalay’s characteristics much better). The only place you might be able to use dunlop for you would be in a zoned support layer for the waist and lower legs. Your hip and shoulder areas should be all talalay but you would need to try it to verify how it all feels together. You may prefer a full talalay support layer but you will almost assuredly need to use different firmnesses (zones) in certain areas to correct the posture. Using a flexible slat base can certainly help create the zones you want but I would suggest looking for a place to try in person to see if they can make if work for you. Water beds were known for being super comfortable because they naturally conform to any body shape but they have some obvious drawbacks as well. A waterbed weighs ALOT so it needs to be supported very well…any water topper with depth to it would likely completely overwhelm the bed underneath it so probably why they aren’t made (there are some tube waterbed deigns out there though). Air bed bases like I use can also help with curvy people but again their drawback is hammocking which needs to be addressed with zoning of the support layers). I would suggest any top (comfort) layer on any mattress you chose for you should be talalay only again because of BMI and body shape. Again these are only suggestions and hopefully they are helpful in your efforts to get something that works well for you.

I wanted to also mention that drawing the line down your spine using a marker while standing (line should follow the spine ridge) really helps to visualize what’s going on, great idea. When you lie on the bed it shows up very well against any straight lines you draw on the photos for posture. I figured I would add one trick, that if you use a sharpie to draw the line on your back you can just use isopropyl alcohol and it will wipe right off when you are all done (no scrubbing at all).

Dear Phoenix,

I’d love if you could chime in.
I am still unsure about returning the MGM. Mattrebuild suggests to start from a clean slate, rather than trying to make MGM work for me.
I feel like my lower back alignment is pretty well and so I am a little anxious returning the mattress and losing what I have gained thus far, even though that probably is what is needed. Do you see a way to improve the shoulder situation? Maybe with a 3" talalay topper 14-19 ILD rather than the 2"Dunlop?
Do you agree that zoning is the way to go, or have I not found the perfect support/comfort layer combination to combine wide shoulder give with skinny waist and wide hip support? This must be an issue that comes up quite frequent.

Basically I wonder what we can derive from my past experiments and alignment to what would be a solution and to at least start with more knowledge of what works.
Also I’d be happy about recommendations which companies to look at from here.

Annika

Hi Ana.

It was only today that I became aware of your call for help. We are doing daily triages and your posts did not show up on my board. So sorry for the delay… I was taking the “silence” as a god sign thinking that all is good with you now. I am glad to see the good progress you made (even if it does not seem so) and that you’ve had great guidance from Mattrebuild. Having worked so methodically we all gained e a better understanding of your sleeping landscape and IMO you are in a much better position now than before. As you are an 80% side sleeper with wide shoulders and hips, and a narrow waist, it looks like you’ve reached the end of what this mattress can do for you (with or without a topper) because of the width and weight differential of different body sections.

It seems like you are very well tuned in to your body as you’ve been able to clearly identify and describe what you are experiencing on each different mattress/topper setup. The photos and overview you uploaded are demonstrating alignment issues (nice to see the little one chiming in. to help mom:)) and I agree with Mattrebuild that the “clean slate” approach with zoning in mind is probably the best way to move forward.

In your case zoning systems could be very useful and well worth considering. Zoning, in general, is suitable for people that have more difficulty finding a mattress with the right “balance” between comfort/pressure relief (under the shoulders especially) and support/alignment (under the hips/pelvis especially) or who have more challenging circumstances or sensitivities, body types that are more difficult to “match” to a mattress, more complex medical issues, or who have a history of having more difficulty in finding a mattress that works well for them. There is more about zoning in
this article and in
post #11 here and the additional posts it links to but the only way to know whether any specific mattress (zoned or otherwise) will be a good match for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP will be based on careful testing or your own personal experience.

Zoning would be necessary because of the difference in weight, thickness/thinness, and surface area of three main areas of the body that are the most difficult to accommodate. The first of these is the hip/pelvic area which carries the greatest amount of weight and has the greatest density, no matter what type of body you have, and often has a wider profile (especially in women). The second is the waist/lumbar area which is often lighter and thinner and has a lower density. The third is the shoulder/chest area. When sleeping on the side the shoulders have a narrower/less surface area and will sink in more easily until they reach the torso which is often wider than the hips but lighter and lower density. Dealing with these 3 areas in all the different sleeping positions and differences in body profiles and the difficulties associated with balancing them in terms of pressure relief and alignment is the reason that zoning is sometimes used in more unusual profiles or extreme body weights. It is appropriate and can be very helpful when a progressive or differential method of construction cannot accommodate the circumstances. You have done ample experimenting and have not been able to accommodate your unique needs.

Some of the theory behind zoning schemes with more zones (which have to be matched to the individual sleeper)… a firmer section under the recessed area of the lumbar can also be useful so you can have a softer shoulder section, a firmer pelvic section, and a section under the recessed part of the lumbar curve or waist that is a little firmer yet under the inward curve of the lumbar (on the back) or the waist (on the side). These would be a “standard” zoning scheme that would generally fit the most people. A firmer section under the knees to help keep them from bending sideways (on the side) or keep them slightly bent (on the back) can also be helpful. In general terms the recessed spaces of the body can benefit from firmer materials and the protruding pressure points can benefit from a softer material. Other less critical areas that can benefit from zoning would be some of the other recessed gaps or wider areas in the body profile such as the space between the buttocks and the thighs, the thighs, the neck and cervical spine, and under the heels which for some people can be a pressure point. With more and narrower zones the odds become higher that some people may not line up with the zones as well (see post #18 here ).

We do have a zoning expert Flowbeds that you could reach out to for guidance on their own dedicated forum. FloBeds offers a zoned option in varying firmness levels.
This is one of the Flobeds configurations that I think would be good for you

Also, have you reached out to My Green Mattress to explain what you’ve been experiencing on the mattress, your experiments, and asked for anything they may advise? They are extremely knowledgeable and would certainly recognize when they reach the end of what the mattress can offer for a particular body type.

There are other members that offer zoned constructions but I don’t know how well these can fit someone with such wide differences between the 3 main body areas (shoulders waist and hips).
The Hybrid Slumber System by Luma is also zoned.
Beloit also offers zoned options.

Given your unique comfort and support needs, it’s important that you have a detailed conversation with each vendor prior to your purchase. The companies above are Trusted Members of The Mattress Underground and are knowledgeable and experienced online manufacturers that can help with making the best comfort/support choice if they are given your stats and information about your body types, sleeping styles, general preferences, and history, some general information about mattresses you have tested and done well with, and any other specific information or circumstances that could affect your choice of a mattress.

I am very interested in your next steps and hopeful that you are now on the right track for finding a unique mattress solution that matches your specific needs.

Phoenix

Dear Phoenix,

Thank you for your response. It would be great if we can figure out the glitch of what you didn’t get informed of my messages… let me know if there’s anything I can do on my end about that.

So Me Green Mattress had offered the topper but didn’t seem to have anymore suggestions /solutions beyond that. I did think that the alignment was good so I hadn’t presented the issue correctly, and yesterday talked to someone else. I think the only way the natural escape mgm could serve me would be if I were to do some serious mattress surgery: replacing the shoulder area of 22-24 Dunlop with a softer talalay. The reason why I would want to do that is because my lumbar region has had no back pain on it, which is rare for me in a side sleeping position. Other ideas would be to add a 3" talalay topper, however I’m unsure if that would work well, because adding softness seems to create more other issues. Another idea would be a slatted base, which mgm has not suggested… mh
I thought about if the grace mattress of the quality sleep shop which is associated with mgm and has the same coil system plus microcoils on top could be a start. Unfortunately it has memoryfoam, which i could then either just live with since i believe it’s not in the top area, or again would have to do surgery. Would microcoils be a better option for my issues?
It does feel weird to cut open a mattress that’s not zippable/made for that.
Flobed has been my next solution I’ve been looking at, basically I’m wondering now about hybrids with coils versus all latex, and just feeling the attachment to the mgm zone coil system which seems to work so well for my lumbar region. The avocado btw gives my tingling in my hands as well unless i have 4" of topper on it, which makes me think that 3" on the mgm would be enough, this their coils plus 6" of latex
So much for now would love to hear what you think and will respond again more later

I know this is addressed to Phoenix but I had a few comments which you may find helpful. First, I think you are beginning to understand why a mattress does/doesn’t work for someone (especially spine alignment in this case), this is key to solving your own issues. Second, it sounds like you also are beginning to understand what needs to be done to a mattress to make it work if indeed you believe the fit is close enough to try and achieve what you want from it (obviously there are limits to this, just look at my own build thread and you’ll see what I mean). Lastly, if you look at your photos again, I have tried to fit straight lines to your spine in each case.

Here’s where I drew the additional lines for you to see: https://i.imgur.com/cn2xdfi.png

What you’ll see if that the MGM photo (with no topper at all) shows that your lower back is the most straight and parallel with the bed. This explains perfectly why you “feel” that one gives you no lower back pain at all (I wanted to point out there is some science behind what your feeling). You can also clearly see why in the other photos just adding more soft toppers does not fix the problem and in fact it makes things worse. To see where this mattress has an issue conforming to your weight and body shape all you need to do is look at the angle of the line that follows your upper spine. Just like you pointed out the dunlop comfort layers don’t allow the give needed for your shoulder to protrude into the mattress properly. In order to make the MGM bed work you would need to somehow also straighten out the upper portion of your spine (effectively your shoulders would need to be able to sink into the bed several inches to be able to accomplish this). Making this happen would likely require exactly as you suggested to modify the comfort layers to create a zone to accommodate your shoulders. Obviously this would require cutting open a brand new mattress and modifying it which is why both Phoenix and I had suggested maybe going with a design where the cover was already zippable (making any further changes very easy for you to do). I understand why you might be worried that since you are close with this mattress you don’t want to give that up but sometimes you need to assess how much work it is to take something that’s close and make it perfect versus designing your own in DIY fashion. A DIY hybrid latex bed is perfectly doable since you already know what the layer specs look like inside the MGM. You also mentioned flexible slat style bases (swiss bed) and those may work too (I highly suggest trying one in store if possible) but again whatever you chose may need some amount of tuning to make it work perfectly for you. Anyway I’m not here to sway you towards DIY vs manufactured, but hopefully this helps you understand the thought process you need to be able to accomplish your goal.

Dear Mattrebuild,
I very much appreciate your perspective, thank you.
I looked at zoned mattresses and started looking at Coil systems. I wonder if I can find the mgm coil system anywhere. It appears that most companies, if not all, use the QE patented system and it appears that that has the 17gauge 14gauge (in the Center) setup, and I’m not understanding why the center third is firmer when 17 gauge is actually softer. I started to make an overview of mattresses that interest me and i would be open to diy, I have actually made a baby crib mattress myself already (that we’re not using anymore due to sleeping on the same mattress, but it turned out great), and i love diy projects.
Could you advise me on the coil system and if/where to find that same one that mgm uses? I’ll attach my chart although it’s not finished yet. I do wonder if a pure latex setup can get me as close as i already am with this setup. We’re living rural near la crosse Wisconsin so I’m not sure where to Test lay, albeit i have tested mattresses in stores for the past 5-6 years.
Also with diy i imagine there’s quite some sending layed layers back so I’m not sure if an option like flobed would be a better fit. If i knew exactly what i need, diy would certainly be a top choice.
As a first step, what do you think about the fact that the coil system of 14.5 gauge in center and 15.5 for upper and lower body section is what works for me and how to start with that as my clean slate?
Annika

Dear Mattrebuild,

attached my chart with the options I’m currently looking at.

Annika

Hi Anna.
To avoid confusion I’ll first reply to your questions from yesterday in post #24 and later today I’ll check your posts from today and include any other considerations in my next response to you.
Thank you for your willingness to help Ana. It wasn’t a glitch… it was a skip over which is easy to do with our small team which is wearing many hats. We are working on a more efficient way to keep track of everything but unfortunately to set in motion something like that takes time and some trial and error too.

I totally understand your misgivings and the desire to keep the MGM that proved to serve you well in terms of the alignment of the lower-mid back section when sleeping on your side.

Ok, let’s take it one by one and eliminate any dead ends.…
It seems that Avocado fell off your contender’s list as in whatever topper combo you tried still gives you tingling to hands and feet which indicates that you need a transition layer as well to help with both primary and secondary support. Not worth making that mattress work… plus your" husband not liking the avocado"

FloBeds
I am glad that you still have FloBeds on your list as they have many years of experience of designs and zoning that works for different types of sleepers.

My Green Mattress (MGM)
may still work but you would need to contact MGM and explain that you have an “hour-glass” body profile with side sleeping and are working your way through making it work with a topper and ask them if they would consider giving you an extension.

MGM/Topper combo considerations:

[indent]1. Adding a 3" Talalay in soft (14-19 ILD) as you suggested…. It seems that your gut feeling is at play here and you seem to be quite in tune with your body so I’d listen to that. Also, your experiments thus far seem to support this combo. I would make sure to choose a topper that can be returned just in case things don’t work as well as you would hope.
2. Another option that you could consider is getting 4" a zoned Talalay with firm under your waist and medium under the pelvis. Again, returning it options considerations. This is supported by your experiment with the 4" Dunlop topper where alignment was still good bu but you experienced some body soreness.
3. Keep in mind that nothing is 100% sure to work as all layers work together and a change that seems small at first may compound its effects with other qualities that were just on the[/indent]

MGM mattress surgery considerations:

[indent]• Ask MGM if the top 3" layer is glued on any of its sides. The process of releasing the top layer may prove more difficult than expected.
• An open mattress with a child around may present some problems. Also, a closed cover is important as protection against oxidation/UV exposure for the latex. If all else turns out well in terms of comfort/support you can purchase a zippered mattress encasement/cover and replace the original one.
• Must be comfortable with the trial and error that comes along with this endeavor.
• Use the 3" Talalay in soft (14-19 ILD) that you previously purchased in the process of trying to make the mattress work for MGM without the surgery
• Decide on the zone size (width as one cut you can’t uncut). If you cut the layer opening smaller you can always enlarge it and use another larger slice of the 3" topper. You’d have a limited number of trials.
• As all layers work together you may still bottom out to the firmer layer below and experience some milder version of shoulder pressure points.
• Cutting the latex with any precision may prove a bit difficult[/indent]

Grace from QSS considerations
I’d be cautious about having memory foam with small children even if the foams are certified and have lower levels of VOC. Your child seems to spend a great deal of time with you on this bed.
Also, it may not be worth living with a foam you don’t like to begin with. Again, I’d trust your intuition here witch already tells you NO.

Microcoils topper

[indent]• While microcoils are a high-quality and durable material they are a much more limited choice for a topper and I also haven’t seen one that has a return policy either.
• The microcoil material technology is still developing but has not achieved the support/pressure-relief capabilities of latex.
• Would have a “springier” feel. You can read more about microcoils in this article and in post #8 here and post #2 here .
• You’d still need some type of foam on top of them as the cover may not be enough to prevent the sleeper feeling of the coil underneath.
• How they perform in each specific design that uses them will depend on the other materials that are over and underneath the microcells. They are certainly well worth considering as a comfort layer option for those who have tested it and like it.
• Microcoils have a different response curve (more linear) than latex (which has a more banana-shaped response curve) They work well for those who prefer their feel and resilience or whose testing shows that they do better with this type of response vs foam.[/indent]

DIY I just scanned briefly through the added posts from today and I just noticed that you are still considering DIY
A DIY is certainly an option and can get a bit complex but it is usually a rewarding option if approached in the spirit of adventure. You’d be able to tweak and adjust the mattress to your liking, and can do a side-by-side split if your husband would prefer a different feel or firmness. There are also seasoned experts and resources on TMU to help, if you chose to go that route.
Here are some slicked experts that can offer personalized guidance on how to do this whether you buy from them or not.

Deborah at DIY Natural bedding
Ken at Arizona Premium mattress company is very skilled at helping consumers with their DIY
Shawn and Rodger at Latex Mattress company and its sister company SleepEZ can help with building a DIY as well.

Let me know which of these paths you are still considering and any new additions
Phoenix

@Mattrebuild Great input. Thanks for keeping the ball rolling here…it seems like you are in the EST timezone shift. :wink:

[quote=“Ana” post=87174]Dear Mattrebuild,
I very much appreciate your perspective, thank you.
I looked at zoned mattresses and started looking at Coil systems. I wonder if I can find the mgm coil system anywhere. It appears that most companies, if not all, use the QE patented system and it appears that that has the 17gauge 14gauge (in the Center) setup, and I’m not understanding why the center third is firmer when 17 gauge is actually softer. I started to make an overview of mattresses that interest me and i would be open to diy, I have actually made a baby crib mattress myself already (that we’re not using anymore due to sleeping on the same mattress, but it turned out great), and i love diy projects.
Could you advise me on the coil system and if/where to find that same one that mgm uses? I’ll attach my chart although it’s not finished yet. I do wonder if a pure latex setup can get me as close as i already am with this setup. We’re living rural near la crosse Wisconsin so I’m not sure where to Test lay, albeit i have tested mattresses in stores for the past 5-6 years.
Also with diy i imagine there’s quite some sending layed layers back so I’m not sure if an option like flobed would be a better fit. If i knew exactly what i need, diy would certainly be a top choice.
As a first step, what do you think about the fact that the coil system of 14.5 gauge in center and 15.5 for upper and lower body section is what works for me and how to start with that as my clean slate?
Annika[/quote]

Annika, not sure where you are with this right now but I wouldn’t focus too much on coils/counts/gauges because it can get very confusing (mathematically) to try and sort it all out. It’s easier to talk to the manufacturer if they are willing to provide the info. There are only a few major spring manufacturers out there and many of them use the Leggett & Platt system (not sure which one MGM uses or if it’s available, see below). As Phoenix suggested I would stay away from cutting up the MGM and trying to modify it because the mattress components all work together. When you alter that it can have big affects on how it feels and performs after and you may be disappointed with the result. I don’t think buying it just for the springs would make much sense either from a cost efficiency perspective but obviously it is an option too.

You can see the MGM springs compared to the L&P combi zone here:
https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/concerns-about-zoned-coils

If you like all latex and want to try that route then from a simplicity standpoint it’s hard to beat Flobeds if you wanted a turnkey zoned option. They will work with you to tune the bed to your needs but they don’t sell any hybrid options at this time. Then if you were wanting hybrid and going with DIY then I would probably choose the the non-zoned QE Bolsa springs from L&P to start (talk with Ken from APM about what he suggests too) and then build up your latex talalay comfort/support layers to tailor it to your needs based on alignment and comfort. If you still don’t get what you want in alignment then you can then move to zoning your setup (similar to a Flobeds Vzone) to help get you through the finish line on your project.

Thank you so much, both, Phoenix and Mattrebuild!

I just want to let you know that we’re taking a two week vacation to see family and I’ll have some time on different mattresses and time to contact flobed and finalize some plans. Thus there’s not as much time pressure right now. Mattrebuild I’m also hoping to read your thread soon to understand what your process was and what you were referring to.

Hi Ana,

Thanks for the update and heads-up. We certainly look forward to your return and any other insights you might have from your vacation.

Have a great time with your family!
Phoenix

Ok so I decided to return the MyGreenMattress Natural Escape and order a twin xl Flobed medium base (32 and 28ILD talalay) and medium vzone (medium at hip, firm at lumbar and soft or plush at shoulders). It should arrive mid-march. My husband will just use an old mattress we still have.
It’s above my budget but I just really want to finally sleep well, and didn’t want to deal with any more trial and error, buying and returning…
On vacation I slept horribly and had tingling in hands and feet, so I tried sleeping on the floor and then went back onto the mattresses.
Thank you everyone for the help.