Burning sensation in finger from sleeping in mattress?

[quote=“Ana” post=87174]Dear Mattrebuild,
I very much appreciate your perspective, thank you.
I looked at zoned mattresses and started looking at Coil systems. I wonder if I can find the mgm coil system anywhere. It appears that most companies, if not all, use the QE patented system and it appears that that has the 17gauge 14gauge (in the Center) setup, and I’m not understanding why the center third is firmer when 17 gauge is actually softer. I started to make an overview of mattresses that interest me and i would be open to diy, I have actually made a baby crib mattress myself already (that we’re not using anymore due to sleeping on the same mattress, but it turned out great), and i love diy projects.
Could you advise me on the coil system and if/where to find that same one that mgm uses? I’ll attach my chart although it’s not finished yet. I do wonder if a pure latex setup can get me as close as i already am with this setup. We’re living rural near la crosse Wisconsin so I’m not sure where to Test lay, albeit i have tested mattresses in stores for the past 5-6 years.
Also with diy i imagine there’s quite some sending layed layers back so I’m not sure if an option like flobed would be a better fit. If i knew exactly what i need, diy would certainly be a top choice.
As a first step, what do you think about the fact that the coil system of 14.5 gauge in center and 15.5 for upper and lower body section is what works for me and how to start with that as my clean slate?
Annika[/quote]

Annika, not sure where you are with this right now but I wouldn’t focus too much on coils/counts/gauges because it can get very confusing (mathematically) to try and sort it all out. It’s easier to talk to the manufacturer if they are willing to provide the info. There are only a few major spring manufacturers out there and many of them use the Leggett & Platt system (not sure which one MGM uses or if it’s available, see below). As Phoenix suggested I would stay away from cutting up the MGM and trying to modify it because the mattress components all work together. When you alter that it can have big affects on how it feels and performs after and you may be disappointed with the result. I don’t think buying it just for the springs would make much sense either from a cost efficiency perspective but obviously it is an option too.

You can see the MGM springs compared to the L&P combi zone here:
https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/concerns-about-zoned-coils

If you like all latex and want to try that route then from a simplicity standpoint it’s hard to beat Flobeds if you wanted a turnkey zoned option. They will work with you to tune the bed to your needs but they don’t sell any hybrid options at this time. Then if you were wanting hybrid and going with DIY then I would probably choose the the non-zoned QE Bolsa springs from L&P to start (talk with Ken from APM about what he suggests too) and then build up your latex talalay comfort/support layers to tailor it to your needs based on alignment and comfort. If you still don’t get what you want in alignment then you can then move to zoning your setup (similar to a Flobeds Vzone) to help get you through the finish line on your project.