Buying a Latex bed without having ever trying one.

To start, I currently own an almost 10 year old Serta Vera Wang Queen memory foam mattress that I bought in 2005 or 2006. I have been decently happy with it, but would have done things differently if I was as educated then I as I am now. Since the purchase, I have gotten married, procreated etc., and the mattress now has a few low spots that tend to drag my wife and I towards each other when sleeping. The biggest reason we are looking to replace it though is to move up to a king size bed. After a Hotel stay in a King size bed last weekend, we both decided it was past time for a new, larger bed. My wife is a self confessed bed hog which means she wakes me up 3 to 4 times a night pushing me off the bed and I wake her up 3 to 4 times a night telling her to move.

We stopped into the mattress firm a couple of days ago just to get a feel for what she likes and what I like. She had the itch for couple of the Tempurpedics in the $4k range that the salesman was pushing hard. He had her saying things like well it will last 20 years, will be more comfortable for the next pregnancy we are planning and I quickly and politely said goodbye and that we needed to do some research etc. Lucky for me, my wife listens to me and trusts me when I tell her that we can get the same or better from an online retailer at half the cost.

We are both Side and Back sleepers, with the occasional stomach sleep thrown in every now and then. I am 5’11’’ 180-190 lbs, She is 5’5’’ 120 to 130 lbs. I am very close to pulling the trigger on the “SELECT-Conform Regalis Luxe” from Select foam. Link. The thing preventing me from pulling the trigger is I keep thinking about making the move to latex. I live in Houston and sleep very hot even in conventional beds. If I use more than a sheet covering me on my current memory foam mattress and the air is above 73, I wake up soaking wet. I know latex breathes much better and I really like the idea of getting 15 to 20 years out of my next $2 to $3k investment.

My only issue is that neither me or my wife have ever tried a latex mattress. Would it be stupid to pick any of the companies recommended on this site that make latex mattresses and to order what they recommend based on our sleeping habits. I am comforted by the ability to swap layers to achieve something that meets our needs. Am I likely to find latex uncomfortable if I like memory foam. I have read every thread on here I can find about the differences and am worried that I like viscosity/elasticity (pressure relief) of memory foam but suspect that latex might be better on my lower back pain, but so probably will be any quality, non worn out mattress. I really like the floating feeling of memory foam which is why latex makes me nervous. I can not seem to find anywhere in Houston to try out latex mattresses.

Thanks,

Cole

Hi bolecailey,

If you have tested a Tempuredic Rhapsody Luxe and it worked well for you then this would certainly make a good choice since it uses the same or higher quality materials and is designed to be a close approximation in terms of its feel and performance.

[quote]The thing preventing me from pulling the trigger is I keep thinking about making the move to latex. I live in Houston and sleep very hot even in conventional beds. If I use more than a sheet covering me on my current memory foam mattress and the air is above 73, I wake up soaking wet. I know latex breathes much better and I really like the idea of getting 15 to 20 years out of my next $2 to $3k investment.

My only issue is that neither me or my wife have ever tried a latex mattress. Would it be stupid to pick any of the companies recommended on this site that make latex mattresses and to order what they recommend based on our sleeping habits. I am comforted by the ability to swap layers to achieve something that meets our needs. Am I likely to find latex uncomfortable if I like memory foam.[/quote]

I think it would be good idea to test some latex mattresses before you consider buying one because like any material some people may love it and others may not like it at all. Latex can be just as pressure relieving and “comfortable” as memory foam but comfort is so subjective that what feels comfortable for one person may not be nearly as comfortable for the next.

You’ve probably read this but there is more about the differences between latex and memory foam in post #2 here and as you can see they are very different and are more opposites than similar in terms of how they “feel”.

Fortunately there are several good options available to test latex in the Houston area which are listed in post #2 here (including component latex mattresses that use both Talalay and Dunlop) so you will be able to get a much better sense of what different types of latex and latex mattresses feel like for you so you won’t have to make a “blind choice” if you decide to purchase one :).

Phoenix

Thanks for the input. You and this site have been very very very helpful. I guess we will have to head to one of the latex retailers to try them out.

Cole

Hi Cole,

We suggest that if you cant test a latex mattress before you purchase one, that you buy one in separate layers. This will allow you to customize the mattress and make it feel just the way you like. It will also give you the choice of combining memory foam in the layers if ever you need to fine tune your comfort level.

good luck in your search! :slight_smile:

I 100% agree with MFC on the suggestion to buy layered. I have two layered Mattresses (both Aloe Alexis from Brooklyn Bedding) and I changed at least 1 layer in each. Sometimes you just don’t really know what is best for you until you try it.
I’m hooked on foam (Latex mainly) but memory foam is also better than a standard mattress (for me) if it is firm enough…funny that I don’t like latex as firm as I like memory foam but that is my point – you must try it and you are likely to want to tweak it afterwards.
Good luck,
Jeff

We made it to New Living in the Houston Heights that carries the Savvy rest mattresses and some other more expensive brands of latex and we both loved it. We both liked the Tallow soft on top, medium dunlop, firm dunlop but will probably get all tallow layers. We plan to order a SleepEZ 10000, maybe the 13000 later this week. I plan to talk to the sales person and get their advice but I am leaning towards the 10000 because I just don’t think we need 4 layers. I feel kind of bad about not buying from the great sales associate at new living but I just can’t justify the extra $1500 to $2000 plus tax for the Savvy rest.

I actually make styrene, and propylene oxide that is the feedstock for the Bayer owned polyols unit that my company operates for them, so I am not anti petrochemical by any means. I Just want to make sure I am correct, providing I don’t care about 100% organic/natural, there is no real advantage to spending the extra cash on the organic line correct? Also, I searched and looked, is there a bedding/sheets section somewhere on this forum. I have spent more money finding the right sheets in the past and have to start over making the jump to king.

Cole

Hi bolecailey,

I’m glad to see you had a chance to test some talalay and Dunlop latex so you can feel the differences between them. With your weight you certainly won’t “need” 4 layers although some people may still prefer them either because of the additional layering combinations that are possible or because they notice a difference in how a thicker mattress “feels”. I know that Shawn is familiar with the Savvy Rest mattresses and they would be close approximations (their Talalay comes from the same company … Radium)

The Dunlop in both versions would be the same (100% natural Dunlop) so if you were choosing Dunlop there would be little point in choosing the Organic line outside of the differences in the cover. The Talalay in the natural line is blended (about 30% natural and 70% synthetic) and in the organic line the Talalay would be 100% natural rubber. There is more about the differences between blended and 100% natural Talalay in post #2 here but in terms of “safety” they both are tested for harmful substances and VOC’s to the same testing standard by Oeko-Tex Standard 100 Class 1 so there would be little to no difference between them.

There isn’t a separate bedding section but there is a reference post for sheets in post #7 here and the other posts and topics and sources of information it links to that should be helpful :slight_smile:

Phoenix