Buying a mattress from Toronto/GTA

Hey everybody,
I’m not sure if anyone will see this but i thought i will put it here anyway just incase. Basically i’ve been looking for a new mattress for a long time and i’ve spent so much time in retailers and showrooms and these online forums and the pirces are just ridiculous. I’m seeing people mention thousands of dollars for a mattress!

I just wanted to let everyone know that i found this store in Mississauga its right by the 401 and i think they were called sleep masters canada and they are just brilliant. i bought a queen medium firm mattress and boxspring for $750 and it is just perfect. At first i wondered if there was something up with it since its soo much cheaper than everywhere else but no its just that they are not ripping people off like some of these other places.

So yeah if you need a new mattress and you don’t want to spend thousands of dollars go to this place because their mattresses are actually top quality and they come with 15 years warranty. Well mine did anyway.

Hi alituran,

Thanks for the update.

Hopefully you were able to confirm the type and quality/durability of the materials inside the mattress you purchased (see this article) so that you can confirm the quality and durability of the materials and components in the mattress you purchased (words like “top quality” have little meaning without knowing the specifics of the mattress).

I would also be somewhat cautious about a retailer that is selling the same mattresses that are made by the same manufacturer for significantly less than anyone else because this would be somewhat of a red flag. As you probably know from your reading here a warranty will also have very little to nothing to do with the durability or useful life of a mattress or how long it will be before you may need to buy a new one.

As I also mentioned in my other reply … the price of a mattress is only one of many variables that can affect the “value” of a mattress purchase and the price may also have little to do with how well you sleep on a mattress (which is the most important part of value) but in most cities there are good quality/value mattresses that are available and would be well worth considering for both lower and higher budget ranges. A higher priced mattress certainly wouldn’t necessarily mean that a mattress was a “rip off”. In very general terms (and all else being equal), mattresses that contain higher quality or more specialized materials and components or mattresses that contain more padding (and of course larger sizes) will tend to cost more than mattresses that contain lower quality materials and components or that use polyfoam as the main padding material or that use less padding in the overall design (or are a smaller size).

Dreamstar is one of the smaller independent manufacturers in the Toronto area that make some good quality/value mattresses and a store that sells them and that is also transparent about the materials and components inside the mattresses they sell would certainly be worth including in any Toronto research.

It would be great if you could list the specs of the mattress you purchased on the forum (see this article) for the benefit of other forum members that may be in the same area.

Assuming that you are confident that your mattress is a good match for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP and that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress that could affect the durability or useful life of the mattress and that it also meets all the other parts of your personal value equation that are important to you …, congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

PS: Since you have no prior history on the forum and have made several posts about the same mattress and the same store … I would also make sure you read the rules of the forum because you also need to disclose whether you have any direct or indirect relationship with either Sleep Masters Canada or with Dreamstar.

Hi Phoenix,

I wish I could invite you to my place so you could come and try my mattress yourself. I don’t know much about mattresses and what goes inside them so I am forced to go by feel rather than specs.

I also don’t recall mentioning that a retailer sold a mattress of the same manufacturer for much less than another retailer. What I meant when I said ‘At first i wondered if there was something up with it since its soo much cheaper than everywhere else but no its just that they are not ripping people off like some of these other places’ is that this place sold their mattresses for much less than all the big brand names and big stores like brick and sleep country. My wife is more of a big name person and so we visited these places first.

Also I never mentioned that a higher priced mattress is a rip off. A higher priced mattress can indeed be an amazing mattress but im not sure what higher priced means for you because higher priced for me is anything between 1000-1500 dollars. please will you go to sleep country and have a look at some of their prices? My wife and I saw a mattress there for over $2500 and apparently it was 30% off haha. I’m sorry Phoenix but you simply cannot explain that to me. Oh an by the way that was a queen so I can only imagine what the king for that one would have been.

Finally, you mentioned that I may have a relationship with sleep masters Canada or Dreamstar. I hadn’t even heard of sleep masters or Dreamstar before I purchased my mattress. However, I definitely will recommend them to any of my friends and family that need a new mattress because the simple fact is that I was served extremely well and my mattress feels very good on my back. I’ve had this mattress for almost a month now and I have zero complaints.

Almost forgot that you asked for specs. I don’t have any specs for my mattress nor am I interested in them but since you asked for them I promise I will get the guys at sleep masters to email me the specs for my mattress and post it here as soon as I receive them.

Kind regards,
Ali Turan.

Hi alituran,

There would be no reason to so this because a mattress that is “perfect” for me may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (or vice versa). Each person can have very different needs and preferences in a mattress.

There isn’t a “formula” that can be used to assess or “calculate” the value of a mattress because there are so many different variables and criteria involved that can affect the “value” of a mattress that can each be more or less important to some people and not to others who may have completely different criteria or definitions of “value”. The “value” of a mattress purchase is also relative to how a mattress compares to the other finalists you are considering or to other mattresses that are available to you in your area (or online if you are also considering online options). There are many reasons that a mattress that may be “good value” for one person or in one area of the country may not be good value for someone else that has very different needs and preferences or that lives in a different area.

There is more about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

If you have read the tutorial you would know that there would be no point to going into Sleep Country because there are the types of stores that I generally suggest avoiding for many reasons including that they don’t sell good quality/value mattresses (see the guidelines here).

You can also see some very general comments about mattresses in different budget ranges in this article.

The first part of your email is very uncommon but it is the same as the twitter username for the founder and CEO of Dreamstar mattress so given the content of your posts it’s hard to believe that you aren’t the same person or at least that you don’t have a relationship with them

You have also posted about the same companies at other websites as well (although some of them have been deleted because they don’t “meet their review criteria”) and your posts there were more than a year ago.

As the moderator of the forum when I am in doubt I tend to err on the side of caution when it comes to advertising or promotion (and regardless of whether you have a relationship with them your posts are too “promotional”) and since you have had the chance to mention them several times there would be no reason for you to post about them again and any further posts about the same companies will be deleted.

Phoenix