Buying A Mattress in Another State on A Budget

Right now it looks like my best option is purchasing from a big-box retailer (either in-store or online), but many of the posts I’ve read on this site have scared me from that. So, I’d really appreciate suggestions for alternatives that can fit my somewhat unique situation! I’m moving from Atlanta to NYC and will need a new bed, which I’m trying to keep under $600-$700. I might only be in NYC for a few years. so durability isn’t a huge factor for me. I do have a history of many sleepless nights and horrible back/neck pain from different innerspring mattresses I’ve used over the last few years, but it seems like most latex/memoryfoam mattresses will be out of my price range; and the ones within my price range seem to be very firm. (I’m a side and back sleeper, so I prefer softer, plush mattresses when it comes to innersprings. I haven’t actually slept on memoryfoam or latex mattresses.)

Right now I’m looking at some of the Sealy plush Eurotop mattresses. I know these aren’t a great investment, but given my situation, should I just bite the bullet? Sorry I don’t have more specific information about the core/support layer I’m looking for. Even though I’ve read through many of the guides, I still feel like I’m just getting my feet wet.

Thanks for all of the incredibly useful information already on this site, and for any further help!

Hi wakeupgunning,

As you can see in the guidelines here … I wouldn’t recommend Sealy or any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the quality of the materials inside it to identify any weak links (which may affect your comfort or support much more quickly than a few years) or make meaningful comparisons to other mattresses that may use higher quality materials in a lower budget range. The guidelines would apply to any budget range.

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Atlanta area (if you wish to purchase your mattress before you move and take it with you) are listed in post #2 here.

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the New York City area are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix