Buying a mattress in Hong Kong

Hi everybody,

Recently I moved to Hong Kong and I noticed here how non-transparent the mattress brands here; most of them seem to be overpriced nor do they hold a flame to North American mattress brands.

I’m looking to purchase a Brooklyn Bedding #BestMattressEver with medium firmness. I have reached out to their customer service and found out that they do not ship to Hong Kong directly, however through postal forwarding services such as myUS.com the shipping would be around half the price of the mattress itself - which is still cheaper than here!

I am however taking the risk that the medium firmness might not be for me, though through my research this mattress seems the most ideal. Would anyone know of any mattresses that could be shipped internationally, or any alternative postal forwarding sites to Asia?

Thanks

Hi takesh1k0vacs,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum!

The focus of this forum is on North America, so I’m sorry but I do not have any information on postal forwarding services to Hong Kong. But perhaps there are other site members here who have lived in that part of the world who might be familiar with such services.

As for the Best Mattress Ever, you certainly are considering an item that uses good quality materials (as you may be aware, they ae a site member here, which means that I think highly of them). I would also be sure to contact them before placing an order to see if there are any differences in their return/exchange/warranty program with what you’re proposing to do.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thanks boss for your gratuitously informative and awesome site!

Here in Hong Kong we have brands like Airland, Seahorse, Emma’s or De Rucci. Not sure if you guys have heard of those, they are overpriced, have opaque specs as well as pushy salespeople. This is a totally different market.

What do you think of the TITANFLEX™ FOAM as opposed to more traditional latex comfort layers? Could humidity play a factor in durability of these beds and should there be ways of alleviating it?

Hi takesh1k0vacs,

I’m sorry that you’re having difficulty finding transparent retailers in your area. I know that can be frustrating.

If you do go out shopping locally again, always try to you find out the information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

TItanFlex has been discussed a bit here on the forum, and you can do a search on TitanFlex (just click on the link) to see where it has been discussed.

TitanFlex is a polyfoam (4 lb in this application) that is highly resilient and is supposed to contain quite a few of the comfort characteristics of latex. It has a similar pressure distribution to latex with a bit of a softer “end-feel” and higher compression and is very breathable. It is a resilient (springy) material that has a feel “similar” to latex, but not quite as buoyant. It certainly is a good quality material.

Regarding humidity, yes, higher humidity can shorten the life of foams, and also it creates an environment more hospitable to dust mites and mold/mildew.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

I proxied the mattress via MyUS and I’ve gotta say it’s a miraculous thing! Feels like i’ve added at least an hour of sleep to how I’ve been sleeping this past year.

The only issue I’ve had with it so far is the heat retention - naturally I tend to be a warmer person and have found it can be uncomfortable at times. I’m considering purchasing something like the DreamFoam Bedding 2" Gel Swirl Memory Foam Topper; I’m keen for a more cooling sleeping environment solution.

Hi takesh1k0vacs,

I’m glad you were able to find a way to get a Best Mattress Ever shipped to Hong Kong!

Regarding temperature, I don’t know if you’ve seen this article, but there is more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here that can help you choose the types of materials and components that are most likely to keep you in a comfortable temperature range.

In very general terms … the materials, layers, and components of a sleeping system that are closer to your skin will have a bigger effect on airflow, moisture transport, and temperature regulation than materials, layers, and components that are further away from your skin and softer mattresses or foam toppers will tend to be more “insulating” and for some people can sleep warmer than firmer versions of the same material.

All foams insulate to a degree, and adding a memory foam topper, regardless of the additives, will tend to “insulate” you a bit more and can actually allow for less exposure for heat exchange (see this article), so this wouldn’t be my first choice as a method of creating a “cooler” sleeping environment. I would look at some of the other things discussed in the link I provided earlier in this post first.

Phoenix

I’m sorry to hear you’ve had such bad experiences with finding a mattress in HK. However it seems non-sensical to have a mattress forwarded here, that tends to be extremely expensive and there is no way you can try it before you purchase. Have you tried searching for other mattress brands available in HK? We recently purchased one from Hush Home (https://www.hushhome.com/products/mattresshushhome.com) and their prices were very reasonable. I’d say more than a third cheaper than a Sealy’s and very well made (Their R&D are base in San Francisco so I’m guessing they’re an American brand if thats what you’re going for). They’re definitely worth a try.

Hi lily28,

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing with us mattress options all the way from Hong Kong. Hush is a new startup BIB Asian mattress. Its founder and COO, Rick Chen, launched HushHome in Feb 2018, and is marketed as a more afffordable bed in HK office and as stated in this article the mattress is sold through online, hotel partners and, pop up locations. While they list their foams as CertiPur-US and their cotton/fabrics as Oeko-Tex Standard 100 they do not provide their foam sources nor do they list foam densities which would be a much more reliable indicator of appropriateness or how long the mattress will last. As the mattress is ultimately as good as the quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer. I’d advise anyone considering this mattress to find out the information listed here to compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here (especially in the upper layers of the mattress … see this article)

Phoenix