Buying a mattress in Norcross, GA

Hi. I’m a new user of your website and I’ve learned a lot about mattress buying from it. I appreciate your service and, hopefully, I’ll make a better buying decision than our last purchase. My wife and I recently visited with friends and slept on an Original Mattress Factory Orthopedic Premier Pillow Top for 3 nights. We came away knowing that we had to replace our current mattress, which is a three-zone type of construction. As I’ve learned from the website, probably not the best choice for us and certainly limiting in that we can’t flip it. So I read up on your website and headed to the OMF showroom, since that seemed like the place we’d end up. The salesman did a good job of letting me try the various orthopedic models and I did so using a “side-sleeper” trial as my wife and I are both side sleepers. I also tried the latex mattresses. I should note that whatever mattress we purchase, it will go on a platform bed. It has a sturdy frame and center support with a 3/4" chip core top for the mattress to sit on. We will have to decide if we purchase something like the bed rug to go underneath the mattress after we’ve made the purchase.

So here’s my question. After my comfort test, the orthopedic pillow top still comes out on top. But I know that I should stay away from mattresses with more than an inch of polyfoam in the comfort layer. You have mentioned that OMF has a higher density of polyfoam than other manufacturers but wondered if this would make enough difference to offset the greater than 1" layer in the premier pillow top? I tried to test the orthopedic regular pillow top since it has less of the polyfoam in it, but the comfort wasn’t there like the premier, especially in my shoulder area. I didn’t try the memory foam mattress because my wife doesn’t like the warmth of those mattresses. And the latex mattress didn’t feel as comfortable to me as my back seemed to “sag” a little too much. My wife and I still have the visit to check how our spines align with this mattress. Would appreciate any suggestions you have.

Hi 1jmpshot,

There are some other choices in the general Atlanta area in post #2 here that may be better choices if you are looking at the OMF innerspring/polyfoam mattresses.

While OMF tends towards better value in any particular price range … they are not your only better option in the area and I would not consider buying a mattress where I didn’t know the density of the polyfoam in the comfort layers … and this would especially be true with a thicker pillowtop.

With a thinner comfort layer … lower density foam (say 1.5 lb) would hold up fairly well in a two sided mattress (although there are also many other variables involved in durability as well) but when this layer is thicker like in a pillowtop … the softening that will happen can make a much bigger difference and would be much riskier.

So I would check to find out the thickness and density of the polyfoam and I would be cautious if it was 1.5 lbs or less in a pillowtop and make some careful comparisons to other mattresses that are available to you that use higher density foam. If it was 1.8 lb or better … then I would breath a little easier (although this is still not in the durability range of latex). Of course all of this is also budget dependent because better quality/durability polyfoam is also more costly.

You are in an area that you can make some good value comparisons once you have the details of the layering in the OMF pillowtop.

Phoenix

Hi 1jmpshot,

I was looking for this because the first part of post #326 and all of post #329 here may also be of interest to you if you are considering the OMF pillowtop.

Phoenix

Thank you for your response. I plan to call OMF back to determine the density and inches of polyform in their two pillow tops that I’m interested in. I also plan to make a call to another local manufacturer you listed for the Atlanta area, Tucker Mattress, and quiz them on their mattresses. I also plan to take a longer test of the latex mattresses offered by OMF and possibly Tucker Mattress depending upon my telephone conversation with them.

Hi 1jmpshot,

Post #32 here may be of interest to you (it includes the foam densities they use in general). I have always been impressed with the quality of the information and the transparency that OMF provides about the materials in their mattresses.

Phoenix