Buying a new Matress in Melbourne, Australia

Hi John J,

I’m certainly no expert on the Australian market although this thread may be of some help and some very quick research at the time seemed to indicate that there were some promising local manufacturers in Australia and Melbourne in particular.

Translated into North American terms (to use the same specs as the website and posts here), the Timeless Elegance is layered as follows (from bottom to top)…

9 zone pocket spring. I didn’t see any specs on this in terms of wire gauge or coil density but with most mattresses that are above the lower budget ranges the innersprings are probably OK. 9 zone seems like overkill to me though and a little gimmicky.

Foam box surround 31 - 320 translates to 1.94 lbs/ft3 density and 72 ILDd. This is a very firm innerspring edge support foam.

2 heavy duty needle felt pads … these insulators are to firm up the pocket coils and keep the foam from sinking into the gaps in the innerspring and getting lumpy.

30 mm 29-200 high density foam is 1.18 inches of 1.81 lb polyoam with an ILD of 45. Average quality for a support foam.

2 x 18 mm 23-130 high density foam is 1.42 inches of 1.44 lb polyoam (I wouldn’t consider this to be high density at all) with an ILD 29 (medium) which is lower density than normal for a deeper layer.

Gussett is the enclosure for the pillowtop

25 mm latex pad. This is 1" of latex but they don’t specify the type of latex or the ILD … although it would likely be soft.

25 mm 36-80 infinity pad. If this is polyoam (likely) then it is 1" of 2.25 lb/ft3 density and 18 ILD (soft). If this is polyfoam then it’s better quality.

30 mm 52-40 memory foam. 1.18 inches of 3.25 lb memory foam 9 ILD (low quality)

48 mm 25-60 supersoft foam quilting. 1.89" of 1.56 lb polyfoam 13.5 ILD (very soft and lower density for a comfort layer although better than most major manufacturers)

I don’t know the price of this or Australian pricing in general but given the thickness and the lower density of the foams I would consider this to be a lower budget mattress even though the foams used are better quality than the major brands. I’d also want to know where their foams are manufactured.

The Simmons Classic medium doesn’t provide any specs but most of the foam in it is probably even lower quality and I don’t recommend major brands because I don’t think they have good quality or value. The Reacta foam used in the quilting for example is apparently .9 lbs/ft3 which IMO is junk.

I personally wouldn’t really consider either of these unless I was in a lower budget range.

Phoenix