Buying a new mattress

I read the mattress guide and checked out a couple of stores in my area, specifically Urban Mattresses and Healthy Back. My price range currently is around $1000, my biggest overall factor is general comfort. I sleep on my stomach and I often feel tension in my lower back when sleeping. Sometimes I watch videos on my phone in bed and lay on my side… I usually don’t get hot when I sleep, durability is a plus. FYI this mattress will be mounted within a Murphy Bed which recommends a maximum of 12", the size is a full.

Urban Mattresses had two mattresses within my price range, the one that stood the most out to me was the Harbor Luxury Firm by Dunlopillo Harbor Luxury Firm by Dunlopillo. I felt a very slight tension when using this but it was the most comfortable there, it has been a few weeks since I tried this mattress so I am merely recalling.

At Healthy Back I tried a few mattresses and the one I enjoyed most was the Healthy Back Bliss Serenity Pure Latex Mattress http://www.healthyback.com/products/Healthy-back-improve-your-back-health/Healthy-back-bliss-serenity-pure-latex-mattress/813. I believe I had the best experience on this mattress, a little bit of tension but after a moment it was really nice. I believe it would need to be a tinge firmer, the man rated it as a 3/5 firmness. The mattress however is out of my price range.

Finally, I have been looking at the Ultimate Dreams Queen Eurotop Latex Mattress to fulfill my needs. Based on my current requirements would you recommend this mattress or any of Ultimate Dreams other mattresses and if so what firmness would you recommend?

Thanks

Hi happylumberjack,

There is some good information about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

If you can find out the information listed here about the Dunlopillo Harbor Luxury Firm and post it on the forum I’d certainly be happy to make some comments about the quality and durability of the materials and the mattress as a whole. There is also some information about the Dunlopillo Harbor Plush in this topic which would probably be very similar (except the luxury firm would probably have either firmer foam layers or thinner layers of softer foam) and I would be very cautious with this mattress because of the possibility that it contains some lower quality and less durable materials that could be a weak link in the mattress. It may also be difficult to find out the information you need to make an informed choice (see post # here).

The healthy Back Serenity is the same as the Pure Latex Bliss Pamper and you can see the specifications in post #2 here. It uses high quality materials (blended Talalay latex) and there are no lower quality materials or weak links in this mattress in terms of durability. Having said that … it would be very unlikely that you would be able to find a similar mattress that used 8" of Talalay latex inside your budget range. Some of the better online latex and latex hybrid options I’m aware of that are in lower budget ranges are listed in posts #3 and #4 here.

Dreamfoam is one of the members of this site which means that I think very highly of them and I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency.

While I do recommend the members here “as a group” … I don’t make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” or PPP or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial)or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

While I can’t speak to whether any mattress will be a good match for you in terms of “comfort” or PPP … the Ultimate Dreams Eurotop Latex Mattress uses 3" of blended Talalay latex on top of an 8" support core that is 2 lb density and has a quilted cover that includes 1.5" of softer polyfoam so as you can see in the quality/durability guidelines here there are no weak links in this mattress in terms of durability.

It also provides the option to exchange the 3" latex comfort layer for either a firmer or softer version for a small charge if your original choice isn’t the firmness that you prefer (see post #7 here) so you can make adjustments to the firmness of your mattress without having to return the whole mattress.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer (such as Dreamfoam) that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Phoenix

Thank you for the help Phoenix, I talked to Chuck from dream foam bedding and he set me up with the ultimate dreams eurotop latex, full size, and with a firmness of 5. I am eagerly awaiting the bed.

Hi happylumberjack,

Thanks for letting us know what you ended up deciding … and congratulations on your new mattress :).

I hope you also have the chance to share your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix