Buying a new mattress

Hi, I was looking to buy a mattress from an independent retailer and would really appreciate the help of the knowledgeable people of this forum. I am on a budget and the mattress I am being offered is at a price of approximately $650.

The mattress uses coils are made by texaspocketsprings.com and are heat welded and glued together. The coils are 13.5 gauge high tensile steel, There are 950 coils in a Queen and the springs are 6 inches. The foam layer is one inch of 2.5 lb density polyurethane foam, with a quilted cover is 1.5 inches of 1.5 lb density polyurethane foam.

I was a little concerned that the comfort layers have only one inch of 2.5 lb density foam and 1.5 inches of 1.5 lb density foam. Would this be a reasonable amount of layering above the pocket springs or would it not be enough? I would greatly appreciate any input.

Hi akulkapoor,

There is more about the 3 most important parts of “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price or course and the options you have available after a purchase).

I would keep in mind that the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or if you can’t test a mattress in person then your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). In other words … you are really the only one that can assess whether the comfort layers are thick enough for you.

Outside of PPP though … the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress and I can certainly help with this. This is the part of your research that you can’t “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label (or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new) so I would always make sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would affect the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

Based on the specs of the mattress that you listed … the materials and components meet the quality/durability guidelines that I would suggest so there are no weak links in the mattress in terms of durability and if the mattress is a good “match” for you in terms of PPP and compares well to the other mattresses you are considering based on all the other parts of your personal value equation that are important to you then it would certainly be well worth considering.

Phoenix