Buying mattress in Ottawa, ON

Hello Phoenix,
I have come across this site and it is truly full of quality information. After reading some of the articles on your website, I completely redirected my attention to specifics of the mattress and reevaluated my criteria. I would greatly appreciate if you can give me some input with respect to materials for mattresses. Recently I visited the local store 7th Heaven Futon in Ottawa (futon7.com) and after trying few mattresses, found some that fit our comfort criteria.
-The most comfortable one was definitely the Latex classic firm (3 in natural Talalay latex, 5 in soy based foam, wool quilted envelope.
-Second option was Latex comfort (4 layers cotton, 6 in natural latex, 2 layers wool - they also have another cheaper option with 4.5 in natural latex instead of 6 in).
-Third option was Supreme foam style - 4 layers cotton, 5 in soy based foam, 2.5 lbs, 2 layers wool 38 tufts.
-We also tried all latex Neptune 9 (9 in natural latex, wool quilted envelope) and we found it too bouncy/soft.
-I also tried all latex mattress in IKEA and I would consider it as far as comfort goes.
Would you have any suggestions as far as material goes?
My wife and I are looking to purchase king size mattress and both of us prefer firm. We are relatively tall (6’3",220 lbs and 5’9", 150 lbs).
If you know of other stores in the area that have quality products, please let us know.
Thanks,
Cheers

Hi Moyash,

The first place to start your research is post #1 here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choices … including more information about most of the many materials used in mattresses.

Latex, wool, and cotton are high quality durable materials but I would want to know the density of the polyfoam (what they call “soy based foam”) in the mattresses you are considering. I would also keep in mind that natural fibers will compress and become firmer over time … cotton more than wool.

There is more about the Ikea latex mattresses in post #3 here.

Some of the better options I’m aware of in the Ottawa area are listed in this thread although 7th Heaven Futon also seems to have some good quality options as well.

Phoenix

Hi,

Not sure of your price range, but Obasan in Ottawa has some great latex options.

Thanks Phoenix.
6 inch, soy based foam of my first choice mattress is 2.5 lbs- support layer. Comfort layer is 3 inch natural (talalay) latex . This mattress is just about right firmness, and it is in my price range. My only concern is durability of materials (foam part in particular) since I am not really knowledge about it.
Thanks for your help!

Thanks Lisa,
Obasan sells great mattresses , but it’s unfortunately well above my price range.

Hi Moyash,

The support layer is not normally the weak link of a mattress and the materials in the comfort layers are a much more important factor in the durability and useful life of a mattress. Having said that I would normally look for 1.8 lb or higher polyfoam as a support layer (1.5 lb in a lower budget range with good quality comfort layers) and 2.5 lb polyfoam is a very high quality and durable material and of course latex is as well.

Phoenix