buying new mattress

Ive been reading some of the other members experiences and questions these past days trying to clear my ideas a bit, but im still not sure on what to buy. Mattresses are not that cheap and I hope to get something that lasts. I am looking for something organic and I am torn between wool and cotton mattresses. Any advice on which is more comfortable and affordable?

Hi Stephnell,

The first thing I would suggest is to clarify why you are looking for an organic mattress. There are many people who shop for organic mattresses when what they are really most concerned about is buying a “safe” mattress. Of course for others an organic certification is important to them for personal reasons. Post #2 here from yesterday may be well worth reading.

Comfort is always subjective and based on preference so it would depend on each person’s individual preferences and perceptions. The best way to decide whether any mattress is comfortable to you is based on your own personal testing and experience. Wool is a more resilient and “springy” natural fiber than cotton so it can feel softer and “packs down” less but it’s also more costly than cotton. Neither one will tend to be as soft as foam materials.

Phoenix

my main concern with organic mattresses comes due to bed experiences. It is true that I don’t have that much infos on organic ones but I did sleep for a few months on a Chinese mattress full of chemicals that I could smell from two rooms away and it was horrible. Im going to have a look at your post again before deciding. Thank you for your help

Hi Stephnell,

It sounds like your main concern may be “safe” rather than “organic” and if this is the case then you would have a much wider range of materials to choose from.

Phoenix