Calling All Latex Experts, Need Help!!!

Long Story short we bought a natural Talalay Latex Mattress and have been sleeping on for about 2.5-3 weeks?? We purchased the mattress from a local retailer as a close out. We thought it was a medium build, firm/med/soft. The mattress alway felt on the stiffer side, we found out it is acutally 4" of extra firm/4" of firm and 1" of medium all zipped into a natural wool/cotton cover.

So we purchased a 1" topper of soft talalay latex right away to help soften it. The 1" piece does not have a cover, it is raw, so to speak:0) 1st night I slept on the mattress with the 1" topper ontop of the mattress and a sheet on top of that. I slept ok, but I sank right through the 1" onto the firm surface of the mattress, no worries. The main problem was I was super itchy when falling asleep and some through the night and work up with a semi soar throat and horrible sinus drainage, latex allergies?? Took the topper off, washed the sheets the next night or 2 some itching and sinus, but not as bad. Week later, with no topper nothing everything back to normal, no itching or sinus issues. Except the mattress is too firm!!!

Last night I tried a 2" piece of medium natural talalay topper once again, no cover, just a sheet. Same thing, super itchy body/eyes and this morning soar throat and sinus drainage!!! On the other hand the mattress was perfect firmness, so comfortable!!! Does any one else or has anyone else has similar reactions when sleeping on latex without a topper?? Will a cover do the trick or am a setting myself up for issues in the future.

Sorry for the long post:0)

Bryce

Hi Bryce720,

It’s good to hear that the 2" topper seems to be working well for you in terms of “comfort” firmness, and PPP (outside of your reaction of course).

Did you read my previous reply about your “symptoms” in post #2 here? Did you get tested for a latex allergy?

Latex can oxidize faster with exposure to air and ozone and ultraviolet light along with other substances that can damage it (see here) so it’s generally a good idea for latex to have a suitable dedicated cover to give it the best possible protection and to help maximize it’s useful lifetime. It can also help protect it with handling. There is more in post #3 here and post #3 here that will give you some sense of the effect of different types of covers on latex.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: primelineindustries.com/natural-rubber-chemcompchart.html

If you have a latex contact allergy (type IV or a contact dermatitis allergy) then a cover would most likely solve your issues as well but I would rule out a type I allergy first.

Phoenix

Hi Bryce720,

You may also want to try and place another thicker sheet over the latex topper before you place your sheet over it. This will give you a pretty good idea of how it will feel with a cover, and see if your allergy symptoms are still present…

good luck!

Thanks for the reply/help. I did read everything you suggested and am scheduled to get tested for a latex allergy?? I spoke with one latex bed retailer and he said he has had customers that call with issues similar if the latex is not enclosed?? I just wanted to post and see if anyone has had any similar issues?? Thanks again for all of the help:0)

Bryce

The Jag crossbody offers a plethora of space and pockets on the inside and outside to carry all your essentials. This crossbody is perfect for travel and everyday use. Lightweight with tons of interior and exterior pockets!

Sleek, low-profile design
Deep main zippered compartment
Tablet compatible up to 10"
Large front flap pocket with magnetic closure
Two external, one internal zippered pocket
External I.D. pocket
Adjustable cross body strap
Large back slip pocket
30 denier ripstop silicon coated paneling, and triple ripstop nylon
Recycled aluminum hardware
11" x 11" x 1"
12 oz.
5 liter capacity size

Pheonix, thanks so much for the reply. I did all the reading you suggested. I am scheduled for a latex allergy test? I just wanted to check in and see if anyone else has had a similar experience with latex that is not encased??

I did speak with one major online retailer of both latex toppers and mattresses and he said he has had a few customers that have had similar experiences with a unenclosed latex topper under the sheet that is remedied by enclosing the latex??

MFC Memory Foam Comfort,

I will try a thicker sheet over the latex and put my regular sheet on top of that. Thanks for the suggestion.

Bryce

Hi Bryce,

[quote]I just wanted to check in and see if anyone else has had a similar experience with latex that is not encased??

I did speak with one major online retailer of both latex toppers and mattresses and he said he has had a few customers that have had similar experiences with a unenclosed latex topper under the sheet that is remedied by enclosing the latex?? [/quote]

I’ve seen a number of people on the forum over the years that have had experiences and “symptoms” that are similar to yours but for the most part when they were tested they didn’t have a type I latex allergy (which is very uncommon but much more serious) and in most cases it is solved by covering the latex so that there isn’t any direct contact.

In a few cases the symptoms may linger because cutting latex can leave some dust on the layer that can get into the air but this would also be reduced and in most cases eliminated if the latex is covered.

Phoenix

Most important: go get your allergy test (as you mentioned you are doing). Don’t make a decision based upon the anecdotes of others, as in most cases, as Phoenix mentioned, they are not truly allergic Type I to latex. But you want to have a definitive answer from a medical professional. People can have reactions to residuals not thoroughly rinsed out from the latex after it is formed, or even from things as simple as new detergents used in cleaning your sheets. There are lots of variables, so you want to be sure. Next, cover your latex topper. UV and oxidation accelerate latex degradation, so you need to cover the item. Also, as was already brought up, if you are found to have a Type IV contact issue, this will provide a necessary barrier. It also helps keep latex particles out of the air. Hopefully you’ll come up with a solution with your doctor’s advice and the tips you’re receiving here on the forum. Who knows, maybe moving all of these things around has stirred up excess skin cells and the dust mites that are attracted to that and you’re having a reaction to that. This is why the allergy test is so important.

Thanks so much for all of the help guys, you rock!! So I thought I am going to unzip this darn thing and actually see what is in it. 1st observation this “latex” is yellow and has very big holes. The latex topper I have is white and has very small holes and or perforations?? The topper is very soft, supple and responsive. The mattress “latex” is stiff, not much responsiveness, almost feels dry?? After unzipping and unzipping, I had tons of little yellow flake/dust all over my hands, arms and bed frame?? This is supposed to be a Natural Talalay Latex Mattress?? Any ideas as to what I actually have?? If you need any more pics let me know??

Thanks

THIS IS A PICTURE OF THE BOTTOM RIGHT CORNER.

THIS IS A CLOSER PICTURE OF THE TOP OF THE MATTRESS

SIDE SHOT OF ALL OF THE LAYERS, It appears to be 5 layers?? 1", 4", 1", 4" and 1"??

From the photo, the product appears to be Talalay. Of course, the best resource for this is the store where you made your purchase. Here is a photo showing a basic difference between a piece of Dunlop (left) and Talalay.

There is normally a difference in colors of latex from closer to white to yellow. This can depend upon the material used and the level of oxidation. Also, you can find small particles of the latex when you remove the cover. Some of this can be left over from the process of cutting and sizing (sort of like sawdust when you cut a board), some can come from normal use, some can come from showing the product (you said this was a closeout, so maybe it was a former floor model).

The size and placement of the holes in your piece are a result of the design of the mold and this is done for curing the foam, as well as changing the feel (zoning) in certain areas.

Hi Bryce720,

There isn’t much I can add to Jeff’s comments and I would agree that your layers look like Talalay latex.

There is also more about the visual differences between different types and batches of latex in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Just wanted to keep everyone in the loop. I did blood work today, 2 different tests, IGE and IGG latex test. Should have the results tomorrow?? I let you know how they go???

Hi Bryce720,

I’m looking forward to finding out about your results.

Phoenix