Can a bad (scarcely set) bed base distort a bonnell based mattress?

Hi all.,

I would really appreciate your help on this matter, since I cannot find the information on my particular question online. So I have bought the bonnell based mattress in this category of products (not exactly this one; in my country there are few of them in the product line so mine is more expensive) Products - Discover Our Full Range Of Furniture And Homeware - IKEA .

I need a mattress for year, year and a half so I wanted to avoid bigger investment. The potential problem I am facing is my bed base which is really scarcely made: the gap between the slides is around 10 cm. By the looks of it I would say that his was made by some carpenter or so (I am renting the place so I don’t know). It is a pretty thick wood, but I am wondering can the gaps between the slides distort my mattress and should I go shopping for bed base to?

Thank you a lot

Depending upon the Bonnell spring being used the 4" gap could be a little wider than preferred. 3" would be better. Personally, if I were in your situation with the parameters you described, I would place a thinner sheet of plywood on top of the slat network. This would be less expensive that purchasing a foundation and would be a simple solution. I know the base wouldn’t be as breathable but for your timeframe it would be a simple fix. You may get some other ideas from other forum members as well.

Hi Zlaja,

I would say “ditto” to Jeff’s comments and suggestion about the plywood.

Phoenix

Thanks, I will try to find a big plywood then! Until I do, should I put the mattress on the floor or on the existing bed base?

Thank you!

Zlaja

Hi Zlaja,

I don’t know the specifics of your mattress or your bed base but for the few days that it will take you to buy some plywood I would probably put your mattress on the floor just out of caution.

Phoenix

Thank you both. I ended up buying new slats since they were so cheap (20 dollars) and are officially recommended for my mattress.

Hi Zlaja,

Replacing the slats or adding to the slats you have so that you have a support system with more surface area and less distance between the slats certainly makes sense as well and would also be more breathable than a solid surface support system (see post #10 here).

Thanks for letting us know what you ended up deciding.

Phoenix