Can a bunkie board replace slats?

Is it possible to use a bunkie board as a total replacement to a box spring and/or slat foundations?

A little background:
I just purchased an IKEA bed frame (the BRIMNES with 4 drawers underneath), which is a fairly high profile frame. I also just purchased a mattress (Beautiyrest Greenwood Firm in full size) and a low profile box spring (5 inches). This makes the bed a little too high, and it’s a bit inconvenient to climb on and off the bed.

I’d like to lower the bed by switching out my box spring and using a bunkie board instead. However, I am not sure if I need to use slats with the bunkie board – ideally I would like to use JUST the bunkie board to ensure the lowest profile possible. I am just worried about whether the bunkie board is strong enough to support the mattress on it’s own, without the slats. The bunkie board would just be resting on 2 side rails and a bar in the middle of the bed, like in the image below:

Any help is really appreciated.

Hi kerriohs,

There is more about the different types of support surfaces that are generally suitable for different types of mattresses in post #1 here.

If a mattress requires a box spring that has springs inside it (vs a foundation that doesn’t have any springs and has little to no flex) then a bunkie board wouldn’t be the best replacement because it doesn’t flex.

If you are using a bunkie board instead of a non flexing foundation then as long as the bunkie board is strong enough to support the mattress and the people sleeping on it and the support surface is suitable for your mattress then there is really no difference between using a bunkie board, a low profile foundation, a regular foundation, or a platform bed other than the height of your sleeping surface.

If your bunkie board has a solid support surface instead of a slatted support surface then it can limit the airflow under the mattress which can be a risk factor in some environments (see post #10 here) and I would tend to prefer a slatted support surface unless there is a compelling reason not to.

There is more about choosing a bunkie board in post #4 here and in post #4 here.

Phoenix