Can a mattress be damaged stood upright?

Well I ran to some shops on Sunday afternoon but didnt have enough time to really look around, still unsure what I want. I like medium form, memory foam with springs.

My limit is £250 max. Not a lot in mattress terms but all I can afford (I’m in the UK by way).

Now, I had the idea that I could tuen my mattress round, it’s a double and for the last 4 years it’s mostly been me :whistle: So not having a girlfriend gets even cheaper!

I turned my mattress upside dow, and slept in the same place, meaning it was the side that has hardly had anyone on, will this be like new in effect?

Also, can a mattress be damaged if it is stored stood on its side? I went travelling for 1 month in summer 2015, but the mattress was stored for 4 months or so on its side, no doubt with a small bend in it, could this damage a mattress? Also what about every morning, getting up and turning mattress up? I live in a small apartment and have to put mattress away every day, right now I am just leabing it doen. It is a spring mattress, no memory foam.

I still need a firmer mattress, as my back feels tight and slightly enflamed?

Good to hear your thoughts.

Mattress springs themselves will generally be all right stored on their sides or standing. When spring units are shipped from the innerspring manufacturers to the mattress manufacturers, they are compressed almost completely for ease of transport, so they can go through quite a bit before being damaged. (See attached photo).

If your mattress innerspring unit has a border rod, there is a chance that you can bend that over time, depending upon the angle and stress placed upon it.

I would be more concerned about the shifting of the foam layers. Many manufacturers don’t secure the deeper foam layers well, if at all, to the innerspring unit. It is easy for them to shift as time goes on if the mattress is placed in a non-horizontal position. Some edge reinforcement systems may also be damaged if they are of low quality of assembly. The most susceptible to this shifting tends to be the Marshall spring units, especially the less expensive ones.

Hi fixmenow,

I think MattressToGo has covered any relevant information about storing your mattress on its side.

Unfortunately I don’t have any specific knowledge about the UK market but there are have been a number of forum members from the UK that have posted here and the information in post #25 here and post #5 here (and the links that they include) should be helpful and provide you with all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choice.

This would depend on whether your mattress is one sided or two sided.

If your mattress is two sided and has the same design from top to bottom and from bottom to top it can certainly benefit from flipping and rotating on a regular basis (see post #2 here) which would add additional life to the mattress and slow down and even out any foam softening and breakdown on each side of the mattress (see post #3 here).

If your mattress is one sided then the bottom isn’t meant to sleep on and would typically have a relatively thin and firm layer of foam under the innerspring and may use a non skid fabric that is meant to keep the mattress from sliding and would probably be less suitable and comfortable for sleeping on as well. If the top of the mattress is beginning to soften or break down and you are no longer sleeping well on the mattress then in some cases you may be able to extend the useful life of the mattress to some degree (instead of replacing it) by flipping it upside down and adding a softer topper to provide any additional comfort and pressure relief that you may need.

Phoenix

I think it is dousble sided as it fees comfty and the ‘bottom’ looks like the top.

Hi fixmenow,

If the bottom is the same as the top then it would be two sided so you can sleep on any side you wish to without needing a topper.

Phoenix