Can I "build" a mattress out of latex toppers? Stupid question, I'm sure.

Lol. So I’ve been looking (without much luck) for an all-latex mattress. I haven’t been able to find a local supplier that I’m happy with, and the only one that will ship to me (Canada) that I’ve found… I think is a scam artist. But then I found a place that’s selling 3" talalay toppers for $374 each in any of several ILD options (4, 19, 24, 28, 32 and 36). Now that has me saying, “hmmm”

What am I missing here? My local store wants $2640 for a queen consisting of 3 layer (5" + 3" + 2"). Can I not buy 3 or even 4 toppers of various ILD to suit, be WAY cheaper overall… and just sort of “build” my mattress?

I know there must be a good reason I can’t do that. What is it? Thanks.

Hi bcsteve,

You can see some of my thoughts about building your own mattress in post #15 here and post #2 here.

The latex that is in a topper is the same as the latex that is in a mattress so if you choose suitable toppers then all you would need is a cover.

There’s no problem buying the layers and the cover if you have good sources … the challenge is making sure that you are buying from a reputable source and having the knowledge and experience to choose the right layers that fit your specific needs and preferences. It may be a high risk proposition because most people don’t have the knowledge and experience to be their own mattress designer but some people are up to the challenge of a more risky purchase. Others are more comfortable and happy with buying something that they can actually test and have the confidence that it will work well for them. Each person has their own risk tolerance and personal value equation. No matter what you end up purchasing or its cost or “value” … if it turns out to be unsuitable for you to sleep on then it would have little value to you and your recourse after a purchase if you need to return layers or components may be the most important part of your purchase.

To put things in perspective … when you look back on a mattress purchase a decade from now you will remember much more about the quality of your sleep over that time than you will about what you paid for the mattress although the purchase price is of course still important.

I think you’ve seen this but post #21 here has some options for sources that ship to Canada.

Phoenix