Can I make my own mattress?

I need a mattress for my boat. It needs to be all foam, no springs and it’s a very unusual size and shape. I’m considering buying 3" of latex, 5" of polyfoam, gluing them together, cutting them to the wild shape needed with an electric knife and hiring someone to make the cover. Am I nuts or is this possible and practical?

Hi jdarmes,

If you are attracted to the idea of designing and building your own mattress out of separate components and a separate cover then the first place I would start is by reading option 3 in post #15 here and the posts it links to (and option #1 and #2 as well) so that you have more realistic expectations and that you are comfortable with the learning curve, uncertainty, trial and error, or in some cases the higher costs that may be involved in the DIY process. While it can certainly be a rewarding project … the best approach to a DIY mattress is a “spirit of adventure” where what you learn and the satisfaction that comes from the process itself is more important than any cost savings you may realize (which may or may not happen).

If you decide to take on the challenge then I would either use the specs (if they are available) of a mattress that you have tested and confirmed are a good match for you in terms of PPP as a reference point or use a “bottom up” approach (see post #2 here).

Your approach is certainly “doable” but there are also some manufacturers that specialize in boat mattresses with complex shapes that may also be worth considering or talking with as well (or they may be able to provide you with just the cover). Some of these are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix