can memory foam even do anything for somebody my weight ?

so i’m testing out a 19 ILD talalay topper in 2" thickness and i only really feel it making a difference when i have a whole bunch of mattress pads on top of it - then you can actually feel the talalay pushing back ( using the mattress pads as a sort of a sail to capture the pressure of the latex and convert it into meaningful force ). without anything on top of the talalay it is just uselessly plush.

i know i’m fat but is 230 lbs really that much ? besides, fat people are the ones who spend the most money on mattresses because 120 pound high school kids can sleep on the floor without too much trouble.

so why is all memory foam out there around 12 - 14 ILD ? i think the only ones who coudl benefit from that low an ILD topper are the very 120 pound high school kids who have no need for any toppers.

what am i missing here ?

g1981c,

Experience for one thing. Not many people would suggest 19 ILD Talalay for someone of your weight.

This post from earlier today with more about comparing memory foam to latex (which really isn’t possible based on ILD) may also be helpful.

Phoenix