Can you construct your own sleep system?

I like an ultra plush hybrid type of mattress. I’ve lain on a number and like the extra springiness a layer of coils gives plus the sinking-in feeling of a layer of gel and/or good memory foam. A pillow top is nice too. The only ones I can find are the big name brands (Serta Elm Grove, Simmons Recharge Westbbury, Simmons Posturpedic Gold) and from lurking in this forum, I now know their materials are lower quality. And the experience of buying one in a big box store is about as much fun as a trip to the dentist. But I can’t seem to find a good ultra plush at a reasonable (about $1,00o price). There are too many one-size-fits-all or limited firmness solutions in the online world, even among the membership list of this website… Is it possible to get a good plain vanilla pocketed coil mattress and add your own topper(s) to make a more custom solution? I live just outside of New York City and any information on local bed stores would also be greatly appreciated?

Hi Jackstraw,

It’s certainly possible yes but it may be a somewhat risky option.

You can see my comments about choosing a firmer mattress first with the intention of adding a softer topper afterwards in post #2 here.

There is a list of many of what I call “simplified choice” mattresses in post #2 here and some of them include multiple firmness options (including softer versions). As you mentioned innerspring mattresses are less common in the online world than different types of foam mattresses (memory foam, polyfoam, latex foam) but there are a few options in post #6 here and the posts it links to that may be helpful.

Subject to confirming that any retailer or manufacturer on the list you wish to deal with is completely transparent about the materials and components in their mattresses (see this article) and to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets your criteria and the quality/value guidelines here … the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the New York City area are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Thank you for the quick reply and very helpful information… I will look this over and post more questions if and when I have them. This site has been invaluable.