Can you create the feel of innersprings with a foam core?

Hi bghouse.

Glad to be of assistance!

This should not be very difficult to put together and if you get the same type of Dunlop (SBR, NR, or blended) it has the chance to approximate quite closely the feel of your old RV mattress. If you chose to buy it again from Mattress Makers most likely are aware that is one of the Trusted members of our site and I am sure they’ll be pleased to assist you once again with a new RV or custom mattress. They have the Coronado lineup that matches exactly what you are looking to get. Mattress Makers are now selling online, roll packs their mattress or layers, and ship it compressed anywhere in the US. Just make sure to mention The Mattress Underground to get your discount.

There should not be any problem with compromising the latex especially if it is rolled (folding may result in the forming of creases and the layer may not come back to the original state if kept compressed for too long) Generally latex is very resilient and springs back to its original shape but I would aim to open it within 30 days. Talalay latex is very durable and will hold up very well to compression over even much longer periods of time than a month so while there may be a slight reduction in firmness (which would also be the case with shorter-term compression as well) I would have no concerns in terms of durability or the integrity of the latex

There would be little if any practical difference between two 3" comfort layers vs a single 6" core layer if they were all the same type and blend of latex and the same ILD (in this case 30) and were inside a tight-fitting cover. Two 3" layers would respond a little more independently and because the elasticity of the top 3" wouldn’t be connected and “pulling back” on the bottom 3" when it compresses and “in theory” it may act a little bit softer but in practical and real-life terms most people wouldn’t notice any difference in terms of performance or firmness.

Also in “theory only” … two 3" layers that were exactly the same ILD as a single 6" layer could be less durable over the course of a long lifetime because they will act more independently and abrade each other slightly but I don’t think that any difference would be significant or even measurable in “real life” terms and the other factors that affect durability (see post #4 here ) such as the firmness of the layers would play a much bigger role. It certainly wouldn’t be a concern of mine.

Phoenix