Can you help me select a latex mattress? OMF, Sleep EZ or local option?

I’ve been doing some research on your site for a while now and finally joined as a member tonight. I’m purchasing my first mattress ever and I’m wondering if anyone can give any advice or suggestions based on my three possibilities below. I like the idea of customizing layers, but unsure if it’s necessary (but I’m also afraid of committing to a mattress that cannot be adjusted at all, except for toppers). I’m going to visit a store that offers Savvy Rest to try out some different options. Obviously, the local option is significantly less, but I want to make the best decision. Also, my husband liked the softest mattress available, and it felt nice, but I’m unsure if we should go for a medium and add a topper if needed (and I realized that I do not like firm mattresses). I appreciate any input anyone can provide. Thank you for such a great site!

Me: 5’5", 160#, fibromyalgia, hip and shoulder pain, mostly side sleeper but sometimes back
Him: 5’9", 230#, side sleeper
Queen mattress, to go on ikea slats

Original Mattress Factory - Serenity Latex. Unable to customize firmness. $1539 plus approx $40 for delivery. Double sided, 10 1/2" finished, Talalay, 12 year warranty.

Sleep Tite (local factory) - latex mattress, can customize firmness (husband liked soft, but I’m unsure how well it will hold up). $850, free delivery. 6" Dunlop, approx 9" finished. Warranty 20 years. One free exchange during first 90 days. The salesman was nice and informative.

Sleep EZ - Sean recommended a 10,000 with S/M/F for me and M/M/F for my husband. They are having a Labor Day 5% sale now (unsure if I can combine with mattress underground discount). Natural is $1663, organic $1895.

Hi falcor,

You are certainly looking at some good options and in terms of quality and value any one of them would make a good choice. While I can’t tell you which one would be the “best choice for you” … I can certainly share some thoughts about how to compare them.

Post #13 here has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress that can help you compare a mattress with other mattresses you are considering.

The first and most important part is how well a mattress matches your specific needs and preferences in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). For this part you are the only one that can assess this based on your testing or personal experience because nobody else can feel what you feel on a mattress (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). How well you sleep on a mattress is always the most important part of the “value” of any mattress purchase. In the case of the two local options you can test this in person. In the case of SleepEZ if you can test a similar mattress such as a Savvy Rest then along with your more detailed conversation with them you would have a good reference point for how it would feel for you with various combinations of layers.

The second most important part of the “value” of a mattress purchase is the quality and durability of the materials. I don’t know all the layers in the Sleep Tite mattress (you only mentioned the 6" core but not the rest of the materials) so I can’t make any meaningful comments about it but I can for the other two (and if you provide the rest of the specs for the Sleep Tite as well I can also make some comments about it as well).

Both the OMF mattress and the SleepEZ mattress use high quality materials and there are no weak links in terms of durability in either one. The OMF mattress is a latex polyfoam hybrid while SleepEZ is an all latex mattress so this will affect how they compare in terms of feel and performance. There is more about a latex/polyfoam hybrid vs an all latex mattress in post #2 here. The OMF has the advantage of being two sided which would add to its durability while the SleepEZ mattress is all latex and latex is more durable than polyfoam but the deeper layers would play a bigger role in durability for higher body weights that compress the materials under the top 3" of latex more. SleepEZ also has individual components that can be replaced if one of them softens or breaks down faster than the others (usually the comfort layers) or if your needs and preferences change over time while the OMF is a finished mattress where components can’t be replaced so you would need to replace the entire mattress when the time comes. There is more about the pros and cons of two sided mattresses and component mattresses relative to their useful life and the cost of ownership in post #2 here. Overall I would probably give the advantage in terms of durability (cost per year of ownership) to SleepEZ although durability wouldn’t be a significant issue with either one.

The last part of comparing the value of the mattresses you are considering is all the other parts and tradeoffs involved in your personal value equation. Of course this would include the cost and it would also include the options that are available to you both before a purchase as well as the options you have after a purchase to rearrange or exchange layers or the mattress itself or to return the mattress for those that offer a return policy which will all affect the “risk” involved in a mattress purchase. As you know from Shawn’s suggestions … SleepEZ also has the option to choose split layering so that each side of a mattress can be customized for each of you which may be important to you as well.

Again … if you can provide the missing details for the Sleep Tite mattress (see this article) I can also add some comments about it as well.

Once you are down to finalists that are choices between “good and good” and there are no clear winners between them then you are at a point where any one of them would be a good choice and the best way to make a final choice (see post #2 here) would be based on “best judgement” and all the objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

PS: [quote]
Sleep EZ - Sean recommended a 10,000 with S/M/F for me and M/M/F for my husband. They are having a Labor Day 5% sale now (unsure if I can combine with mattress underground discount). Natural is $1663, organic $1895.
[/quote]

I haven’t asked them but in most cases the MUG discount can’t be “stacked” with the discount from an occasional sale (see the note on top of this page).

Hi falcor,

Just to add to my last comments as well … the type of support system under a mattress can also affect how it feels and performs and can also affect the motion transfer of a mattress as well. OMF puts their mattresses on an “active” box spring (with springs inside it) so I would also ask them to put the mattress on one of their adjustable beds (in the flat position) so that it would be similar to a non flexing foundation so you can test any difference on a non flexing support system both in terms of how it feels and performs as well as with motion transfer.

Phoenix

Phoenix, thank you for the informative reply!

I spoke with Rusty at Sleep Tite again and have some more information. The mattress has approx 3/4" polyurethane foam on each side (10# 30 ILD) and a 1/4" fire barrier, which I realize does not quite add up to 9" finished. The cover is a polyester cotton blend. The latex is Dunlop, 96% natural, 4% synthetic, from A Lava & son.

I plan on checking out a Savvy Rest sometime next week. I’m overthinking this whole processbut afraid to make a bad decision. I need a new mattress desperately because I wake up sore every day. We don’t have a budget, but I don’t want to overpay. Also, I am sensitive to chemical odors (migraines, sinus problems), so perhaps the Sleep Tite is not a great choice for me; I was fine in their warehouse, but that isn’t the same as having your face up against something.

I need to test some more mattresses and check out OMF again, especially with your advice. Thanks!

Hi falcor,

The 9" may be an approximation but if there is a 6" core and an additional 1" on either side along with the thickness of the cover on each side it would be “close enough” to make a meaningful comment about it.

As you can see in the guidelines here … there would be no weak links in the mattress because the quilting layers are less than the guidelines I would suggest which is “no more than about an inch or so of lower quality/density or unknown materials in the comfort layers” so this along with the fact that it is two sided would make it a high quality and durable choice.

This I can’t answer for certain for any specific person because each person’s sensitivities and health concerns can be very different but the latex would certainly be safe (all the latex you are likely to encounter would be either Oeko-Tex or Eco-Institut certified for harmful substances and VOC’s) and if the polyfoam is made in North America and/or is CertiPur certified then “most people” wouldn’t have any issues or concerns with this either.

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding and you are certainly looking at some very good options.

Phoenix

Thanks, Phoenix! He did say something about it potentially being 9-10" finished. Would you have any concerns about it if it finished closer to 10"?

And as a rule, is it is better to have it slightly more firm mattress and add a topper if needed, or go with soft if comfortable? We both thought the soft (which was on an adjustable frame) was nice but don’t want to have durability issues due to weight. They offer a free comfort adjustment, but I’d like to get it right the first time. The edge of the bed (where customers sit on it to lie down) was more sunken than other areas of the mattress, but could this be due to it being soft and on an adjustable frame?

The dealer that offers Savvy Rest is by appointment only, so I’m unsure when we will have a chance to check them out. Overall, I still like the idea of layers, but not sure yet. I like the return policies of several online members. I like a couple flobeds options (original deluxe vs original vzone) and habitat furnishings’ 1 year return policy, but most of what I’ve read sounds like it may be less of a value. I truly value your opinion. Thank you for the advice.

Hi falcor,

Based on the information you provided … no I wouldn’t.

The most effective approach would be to choose a mattress that is the best match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) based on careful testing “as it is” (following the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial post) without anything else added to it. I would leave the uncertainty of adding a topper as a “backup plan” only if it was necessary and there were no better options available to you (see post #2 here). The only time I would tend to choose firmer rather than softer is if you really can’t tell the difference between the suitability of two mattresses (as they are) in which case I would lean towards the one that was slightly firmer although this would be less important if you have the option to make changes to a mattress after a purchase.

There are no weak links in any of the mattresses you are considering in terms of durability so I would focus more on suitability and then once you are down to your finalists making good comparisons based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

I’ve also been looking at Brooklyn Bedding’s bamboo bliss and total latex and Dreamfoam’s ultimate latex or eurotop. I know that only I can determine the value of a mattress (and I need to stop pulling in additional options), but my main goals are pressure/pain relief with a good product that will last. When I was younger, I could sleep on anything and now I’m afraid to buy something worse than my current (horrible, lumpy, over 20±years-old s-brand) mattress. I thought our bed was too hard, but think it is maybe too soft because my hips sink in too much.

Hi falcor,

There’s not much I can add to my previous comments about how to decide which mattress would be the best “match” or best “value” to you but I would use the information in post #13 here and the posts it links to as your main reference when you are comparing mattresses that are all choices between “good and good” and there are no clear winners between them.

Phoenix