Can't Decide Between Dreamfoam Options

We’re finally going to replace my 10 year old Serta Independence mattress. Hooray! I’ve been very interested in Latex options. After seeking out more information about the highly-well-reviewed Dreamfoam mattresses on Amazon, I came across this awesomely informative site and hope that you fine people (or at least you Phoenix!) may provide the last bit of clarity I need to pull the trigger on this difficult decision of buying a mattress without experiencing it firsthand!

My apologies for the wall of text that follows. I tend to ramble at times, sorry!

I’m pretty easy to please when it comes to sleeping surfaces. I’m more partial to things on the firm side, but I’m fine with a little softness if it’s got support behind it. My partner on the other hand is very adamant about firmness and he very much wants something more firm. He actually likes sleeping on the floor!

So we went to Ikea last night to look at bed frames and slung ourselves up on a few mattresses while we were there. In a nutshell: partner absolutely didn’t like the all-latex Edsele because he sank into it. It wasn’t my favorite, either. The Fjorgard was acceptable and liked by both of us. This is the closest to the Dreamfoam 10" “ultimate plush” talalay laxtex over foam, I believe. Finally, we both actually liked the memory foam one we laid on a lot - I think it was the Finnvik, but I’m not 100% sure. I quickly dismissed memory foam, however, due to the fact that we both sleep pretty hot.

So, dreamfoam bedding. I’m attracted to these guys based on the numerous positive things I’ve seen here and on Amazon. Their products being 100% Made in the USA is a big plus for us. And it seems logical that it’s better that their products are vacuumed sealed only prior to shipping, instead of sitting in that state in a warehouse for months on end.

I had originally been looking at the $599 “ultra plush” model. I am almost sold on it. My only concern would be getting it and my partner feeling like he “sunk” into it. This would be a disaster. It’s not stated on the description, though I may have missed it… I’m curious if the latex in this mattress is all natural like the $799 option with dunlop latex.

So, the $799… I’m curious if the dunlop latex is going to make a difference in the “sinking” feeling and be perceived as more firm/supportive. From what I’ve read, I’m including to think this may be the case. But, I have to wonder… is that a $200 firmness difference?

Finally - after laying on that memory foam bed at Ikea last night… I’m wondering if the 13" Gel Memory Foam is our best option. We both liked the memory foam at Ikea a lot. But, as I said, I quickly said “No way, we can’t, we’ll get too hot”. We actually do have a 1.5" memory foam topper on our mattress right now, but I’ve not slept without it in so long, I can’t say how much heat it is adding if any at this point.

So… thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions?

Thank you so so much for taking the time to read and respond to queries above. I greatly appreciate it!

P.S. should it make any difference or spark any thoughts, we are located in Dallas, TX.

Hi 2Michaels,

You can see my thoughts about the Ikea mattresses in post #3 here.

The Fjorgard uses 80% synthetic Dunlop latex which is a lower quality type of latex which tens to be stiffer and less elastic and conforming. It is still a relatively good material but it’s not in the same quality range as Dunlop latex that has a higher natural latex content. Their memory foam is in the 3 lb range which is low quality and I would avoid it.

They are pretty good at helping their customers choose a firmness level that is appropriate. It’s always better to err on the side of firmness because you can always soften up a sleeping surface that is too firm but there is little you can do if the sleeping surface is too soft. I would also remember that the upper layers of a mattress have more to do with pressure relief and comfort than with support which is the job of the deeper layers so you can have a mattress with a few inches of pressure relieving materials and still have good support in the deeper layers of the mattress.

The latex they use is blended Talalay which is a very high quality material. The Ikea are all Dunlop … some of which are mostly natural and some are mostly synthetic. You can read a bit more about the different types of latex in this article and in post #6 here along with post #6 here.

Dunlop latex has a higher compression modulus which means that it is a denser foam than Talalay and tend to get firmer faster as you sink into it more (all foam gets firmer with deeper compression but at different rates). Because of this, Dunlop tends to feel firmer than Talalay in the same ILD (softness rating). All foam comes in a wide range of softness/firmness levels (ILD) though and this along with the compression modulus would determine how deeply you sink into it. The surface layers are also mostly about pressure relief and have a secondary support role of filling in the gaps in the sleeping profile. The deeper layers (not the ones on the top) are the ones that are about primary support and that “stop” the heavier parts of the body from sinking in too far. In other words every mattress has a certain level of softness firmness in the comfort layers and a certain level of siftness/firmness in the support layers and each of these plays a different but interconnected role You could have a thin supersoft layer on top for example and then very firm layers below them and the mattress will feel very firm because you will “go through” the softer comfort layers and feel more of the support layers below this. On the other hand if you used slightly firmer layers on top … it may actually feel softer because you wouldn’t go through the layer as easily and feel less of the firmer foam below it.

The choice between memory foam (or gel memory foam) and latex is really about personal preference between slower response materials and faster response materials. There is also a wide range of different memory foam mattress designs and a range of different types and qualities of memory foam which can feel very different from each other and will also be very different in terms of durability. The memory foam at Ikea is very low quality (3.1 lbs) and this would have a different “feel” than memory foam that had a higher density. You can read more about the different qualities of memory foam in post #9 here and in post #8 here. the memory foam in the Ultimate Dreams is much higher quality than the Ikea but it’s also a different design that will feel much softer. According both to Dreamfoam and customer feedback (including on the forum here and elsewhere) … it is on the softer end of the scale. Given your husbands preference for a firm feeling mattress … I would suspect that this may not be the best choice for you.

Hope this helps.

Phoenix

Thank you for taking the time. Much appreciated.

Yes, very helpful. I appreciate you pointing me to a number of links to learn more on specific topics.

I’ve sent a message in to dreamfoam bedding and will hopefully place an order after talking a couple things out with them.

Should I have any concern that their base foam is convoluted? You commented in another thread that convoluted foam is less durable.

Hi 2Michaels,

The convoluted base foam is firm and high density (2.35 lbs) and deeper in the mattress so it wouldn’t concern me no. Where convoluted foam can be an issue is with lower density and softer versions used in the upper layers of a mattress where they can become a weak link of the mattress.

Phoenix

Hi 2Michaels,

I almost missed this.

The better options I’m aware of in the Dallas area are listed in post #4 here.

Phoenix