Carpenter Serene Foam

So I’m in the process of exploring my options for a DIY mattress build and I came across this product, Serene Foam. I came across it at Habitat Furnishing, where they offer a Serene Foam topper with their pocket coil mattress.
ADMIN NOTE: Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint:habitatfurnishings.com/regal-tranquility-mattress/#buyregaltranquility.

According to Carpenter this is the next step up from memory foam since it has “open cell” technology so heat doesn’t build up and it responds the same even in cold temperatures. But from the videos and limited amount of info I can find, it doesn’t seem to quite have the slow recovery conforming ability of traditional memory foam - it looks like it has a fair amount of bounce. The density is 2.5lbs, which if I am understanding the article on poly foam mattress comfort layers correctly means it qualifies as high resilience and should be a good quality product. Overall, the majority of info I’ve been able to find has been promotional material vs actual discussion/analysis so I’m curious how it really performs.

Habitat is recommending using this as a topper on top of their finished latex/pocket coil mattress, which has 2 inches of wool in the cover. It seems like it would be more ideal to have the foam under the cover so the wool could sit on top and fully perform as a temperature regulating/moisture wicking layer.

My original goal was to DIY a latex/pocket coil mattress. I’ve been looking into memory foam and memory foam alternatives as a way to fine tune the feel. Overall I like the bounce and buoyancy of pocket coils and talalay latex but based on my in person testing my ideal mattress would include a small amount of other layers to slightly deaden the bounciness and provide a small amount of slower recovery/conforming ability. So right now my tentative plan is to incorporate pocket coils, talalay latex, and either some 4-5lb memory foam or some polyfoam into a 15inch mattress cover. I expect to do some fine tuning as I go and experimentation with ordering of layers.

Right now I’m curious if anyone has any more info/analysis about this “Serene Foam” or any related products. I’ve found a few mattresses online that incorporate it but none are available to test in my area.

Hi PrincessAndThePocketCoil,

Serene foam is one of the "newer’ generation of high-performance polyfoams, which are of a higher density and good at pressure point relief, but do not have any of the viscous properties (it is not a memory foam). It is also not a latex foam. Carpenter introduced Serene in 2015 and re-launched it in 2016. It is generally a higher density (2.5 lbs as an example) and it is CertiPUR-US certified. This generally would be a good quality and durable plush material. It is not technically a high-resilience foam, as that would require a 2.5 density or above, along with a compression modulus of 2.4 or above.

High performance polyfoams such as this are becoming a bit more popular, some to offer the conformation and point elasticity found in memory foam, but to be more open-cell and breathable, faster in recovery, and not so temperature dependent. Others are designed to be closer to latex in their characteristics. And then some are simply designed to be more durable versions of low-density polyfoams.

These foams are usually located in the uppermost layers of a mattress to take advantage of their point elasticity, and are sometimes offered as a topper. The overall feel of any mattress is of course dependent upon all of the layers within a mattress, and the “deeper down” these foams are placed within a mattress (even beneath a thicker covering), the less noticeable their softness will be.

High performance polyfoam or memory foam certainly can provide some “tempering” of the buoyancy of latex. If you like the resiliency and responsiveness of latex, but just don’t want it to feel “too bouncy”, you can locate the memory or polyfoam beneath the latex upper layer. If you like the durability that latex provides and the good conforming support, but think that it’s too “lively”, you can place the latex beneath an upper layer of memory or polyfoam. The nice thing with a component DIY system is that you can rearrange layers and experiment at home. :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Thank you for the info, Phoenix! Your reply to my previous question and the wealth of info on the site have been extremely helpful in my understanding of mattresses and their components. Unfortunately I am a bit limited in options in my area (Rochester, NY). But the info on here has given me the confidence to at least attempt a DIY build. And yes, I am going about this conscious of the fact DIYing is difficult and should be attempted with some spirit of adventure. :wink:

I think I will steer clear of the Serene Foam for now since it’s a bit too much of an unknown, although I’m very keen to hear more about new developments in polyfoam!

This has been exactly my thought process, I’m glad to hear I’m at least on the right track! As of now, my tentative plan is as follows (top to bottom):

• Cover: Bamboo/wool zippered mattress cover from mattresses.net in max 15" depth
  • 2" Celsion Talalay ILD 21 (buoyancy, contouring, temperature regulation). The ILD 15 is very tempting because I do really enjoy plushness but I have concerns about long term support and durability.
  • 2" Aerus Plus 5lb memory foam (contouring, deadening the overall bounciness of talalay/pocket coil, motion isolation)
  • 1" Celsion Talalay ILD 27, or perhaps just regular blended Talatech ILD 28 (transition layer, buoyancy)
  • 8.5" Combi Zone Pocket Coil by Leggett and Platt (contouring, deep support)
  • 1" Dunlop ILD 44 (support, stabilizing, longevity)

I know it’s impossible for you to predict anything about what mattress might work for anyone’s exact PPP, but I am curious if you notice any egregious weak spots or issues with this plan. Quick stats: I am 5’2", 150 lbs, side/back sleeper. Boyfriend is 6’1", 190 lbs, side/back sleeper. My goal based on results of my in person testing is to build a mattress that has firm/bouncy deep support graduating up to a plush Euro-top feel, with the buoyancy/contouring/bounce of Talalay in comfort layers slightly tempered by the slower response and motion isolation of memory foam.

Indeed! I look forward to the adventure. :slight_smile:

Hi PrincessAndThePocketCoil,

I’m very happy to hear that!

That’s great, as so many attempt to design their own mattress with no real understanding of how the componentry will eventually “mesh” together to create overall comfort, so a tempering of expectations is always realistic.

Not everyone is familiar with some of these “newer” polyfoams, so that’s understandable. Latexco fom is another such item. Development is constant and always changing in the polyfoam landscape.

That’s a reasonable concern regarding plushness shared by many component suppliers.

This would be a good quality material. And it would help reduce the overall buoyancy a bit of the upper latex layer.

Being deeper within the mattress, the Celsion would have very little impact. You’d probably be fine with a latex without any phase change material added to it here. The buoyancy will also be tempered a bit by the memory foam layer above it.

FYI, Talatech is a registered trademark of Latex Foam International Holdings, Inc., and used by Talalay Global for their latex products. As the vast majority of the Talalay they product is blended, it is most commonly associated with their blended Talalay latex. However, it can also be associated with their Talalay using phase change materials, and their natural Talalay. You can find it denoted as Talatech Classic (the blended), Talatech Celsion (with the phase change material) and Talatech Natural (their NR Talalay).

This would be a good support unit. Leggett and Platt also offers zoned innerspring units with the Quantum Edge springs for extra edge reinforcement that you may wish to consider.

That would be a reasonable base layer.

It appears that you are considering some very good quality materials. Good luck with the adventure!

Phoenix

Costco.ca sells a Serene foam product that seems to be well priced. The reviews are very good too, we will try one for the spare bedroom.

https://www.costco.ca/.product.1117466.html

I’m curious how serene foam performs, feel, temperature regulation & durability so if you get it please post your findings. Thanks☺

If we do decide on buying one I will post a review. There are many reviews on the Costco link I provided in the original post.