Casper Questions

I’m strongly considering buying a king size Casper mattress and I’ve found this forum extremely valuable. A few questions:

1. I have read that after only a few months, the comfort layer of a latex can start to form ruts, and permanent body impressions. Based on the latex used in the Casper, is this likely to occur? Their website says its 3.3 density Dunlop latex foam but I’m not sure if that’s good for durability? I was considering the Leesa until I read about the lower quality 3lb memory foam density as being a weak link, where Casper seems to be a higher consistency of quality throughout the mattress.

2. Some people have suggested Casper will come out with a new and improved mattress (e.g. more latex in the comfort area of the mattress) based on early adopter feedback, meaning those who purchased the product first could be left with a sub-par product. Does anyone see this happening?

3. Based on the quality of the foams used in the Casper, how long can I reasonably expect it to last? I weigh about 175 pounds and am 6 feet tall. My girlfriend weighs about 100 pounds.

Hi gbill2004,

I’m not sure where you read this but it certainly isn’t accurate. Latex in general is the most durable of all the foam materials (polyfoam, memory foam, latex foam) and foam softening or impressions are less likely to occur with latex than with other types of foam.

You can see some comments about Casper and the quality/density of the materials they use relative to some of the other “simplified choice” mattresses in post #2 here. It would certainly make a durable choice for most people unless you are in a higher than average weight range (more than the lower 200’s or so) but the weakest link in the mattress is likely to be the 4 lb memory foam not the latex.

There really isn’t any way for consumers to know this until and unless it happens. I certainly wouldn’t call their mattress “sub par” although in terms of the quality/durability of the materials it also isn’t on top of the “simplified choice” group either.

While there isn’t any way to quantify how long any mattress will maintain the comfort and support that would be suitable for any particular person because there are too many variables involved … there is more information in the foam quality/density guidelines here that will give you an idea of what I would consider to be a reasonable expectation for the durability and useful life of a mattress based on the type and quality/durability of the materials inside it. Since the Casper meets the minimum guidelines I would suggest for those that aren’t in higher weight ranges (more than the lower 200’s or so) … something in the range of 7 or more years would be a reasonable expectation.

Phoenix

Thank you Phoenix!

What are your thoughts on the Old Bed Guy? He seems to not have much good to say about the Casper and foam mattresses in general. Are his points valid? He seems to really like spring mattresses and thinks foam mattresses are toxic and will lead to cancer.

Hi gbill2004,

He also has some very negative opinions about this site as well. You can see some of my thoughts about the Old Bed Guy in this topic but some of the information on his site is completely inaccurate, some of it is partly inaccurate, some of it is valid, some of it is contradictory and some of it is deceptive.

To some degree he seems to be stuck in a time warp and he certainly isn’t up to date on some of the materials and mattress designs that that have become popular over the course of the last couple of decades. All foam materials certainly aren’t “toxic” and what he says about foam mattresses contradicts the experience of millions of people who have been sleeping very well on foam mattresses of various types over the course of many years.

Phoenix