Celsion Talalay / wool topper and temperature regulation

[quote=“Phoenix” post=31935]Hi wbroshea,

The Talalay GL is the new name for Celsion and is just a different name. Here is a quote from the Sleep Like a Bear site …[/quote]

Yeah that’s what I thought too. That’s why I was confused.

If you change the size to eastern king for both the added cost for the one described as celsion goes to 795 and the rejuvenite is 650. So technically 145. Regardless I will send a message to sleeplikeabear and find out if there is a difference. Great way to save a little money if they are in fact the same product.

Also wanted to thank you for all of your contributions, not just with this thread. While this may be my first posts, it certainly isn’t the first time I have read and used the information in your posts. So thank you for all the help you have provided both me and to all the other users of this website.

Edit: Ok so I haven’t figured out how to split up quotes yet. Sorry for the confusing looking post. Edit 2: maybe that looks better.

Hi wbroshea,

I must have been too bleary eyed when I replied to you last night :slight_smile:

The Celsion without a cover is $795 and with a cover is $978.

The Rejuvenite comes with a cover and is $650

The return policy is slightly different (it’s an add on to the Rejuvenite).

The warranty is different as well (5 years vs 20 years).

So if both are ordered with a cover there would actually be an even bigger difference than you mentioned.

Phoenix

Just want to follow up, sleeplikeabear confirmed exactly what Phoenix said. 5 year vs 20 year warranty, added cost for return policy. But they also confirmed that the foam is the exact same foam. Reason for cheaper price is limited ild which allows mass production which lowers cost plus other mentioned factors (warranty/return policy). Personally I’m not sure the added cost would be worth it.

I have a message into to KTT, as Phoenix mentioned, but I imagine they will have to contact Latex International to find out if they can get it, so I don’t expect a response until the work week. Out of curiosity, is KTT a memeber here and do they offer any kind of discount to members of this website?

Hi wbroshea,

No … they aren’t a member (they don’t sell mattresses). The membership list is here.

Phoenix

Interesting, when they contacted me back with prices and they quoted me for mattresses. However upon closer inspection, it looks like they don’t sell a particular combo as a mattress rather you pick out your ilds and layers and then they sell it as a mattress at the same price as if you were buying individual layers.

Regardless, I have a question regarding my mattress selection. My wife and I tried the PLB beautiful and nature in a store this weekend. I liked the nature although it was on the firm side of my comfort range (too firm for the wife). My wife liked the beautiful, but it was on the soft side of her comfort range. (too soft for me). So naturally we wanted a model somewhere between these two mattresses as we believe we would both be happy. Our thought was to use the ILDs from the nature (21 and 28 vs 21 and 24 for the beautiful) and the thickness of the layers from the the beautiful (3’ for the top two layers vs 2" in the nature).

Any opinions on this. I am worried that this may not “firm” the mattress up enough being a small change in the ILD of the second layer. My wife definitely liked the sinking in feeling she got with the 6" of top layers. That’s why we thought of switching the layers to the nature and keeping the thickness of the beautiful vs using the beautiful layers with the nature thickness.

Hi wbroshea,

There isn’t any way for me to know how well this will work for either or both of you in terms of PPP but as you mentioned it would b a small increment firmer than the Beautiful and a fair bit softer then the Nature.

I would think it would be closer to the Beautiful than the Nature.

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=32086]
I would think it would be closer to the Beautiful than the Nature.

Phoenix[/quote]

What about keeping the 3" soft 21 celsion layer but only have 2 inches of 28 below? Think that would be more in middle? Or am I going about this wrong? Maybe the better question is if you were going to build a mattress to fit between the Nature and Beautiful, what would you do? Again I really appreciate you taking the time to talk through this with me.

Hi wbroshea,

Yes that’s what I would probably do to if I wanted to “move” it closer to the middle of the range in between the two IMO although I can’t speak to how well this would “match” your individual needs and preferences in terms of PPP (there are too many unknowns and variables involved to be able to know this for someone else … see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=32108]

Yes that’s what I would probably do to if I wanted to “move” it closer to the middle of the range in between the two IMO although I can’t speak to how well this would “match” your individual needs and preferences in terms of PPP (there are too many unknowns and variables involved to be able to know this for someone else … see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

Phoenix[/quote]

So KTT can get the celsion. Here is what I am thinking about for my Eastern King mattress: 3" 21 ILD Celsion on top, 2" 28 ILD Talatech second layer, 6" 36 ILD Talatech for the core. Instead of just buying a 2" 28ILD layer, I am going to purchase the 3" 28 ILD Talatech and have them give me a 2" and 1" layer. This way I can test the 2" first and if we need it we will have the extra one to add in there. They have quoted a price of 1560 for the layers and 306 for the shipping. Any opinions on price? Seems pretty good especially with the Celsion layer, but shipping sure is expensive. Of course these mattresses are heavy but it still stinks. :wink:

Also this does not include the cover. Any options on covers, especially if I go with the 11" mattress. I can find plenty of 10 and 12 mattress covers but I dont see anything in between. May have to be a custom order? If that’s the case it may be cheaper to add an inch of extra firm Talatech to the bottom (like the old PLBs did) just to make it a standard size. Not sure what would be more expensive an inch of Talatech or the extra cost associated with customizing an enclosure. Opinions welcome.

Hi wbroshea,

It seems very reasonable to me.

Post #4 here has several sources for covers that may be worth talking to. I don’t know which of them could provide an 11" cover but your idea of adding an extra inch would also work well if all you can find is 12". You could also use an inch of very firm polyfoam like version 1 of the PLB.

Phoenix

Made my purchase the other day. Expected to ship on Tuesday. Maybe get it by next weekend. Went with the 21 ILD celsion 3", 2" 28 ild talatech, 1" 28 ild talatech (just to test to make sure we like the layering) and 6" 36 ild taltech as the core. Thanks for all your help. I’ll be sure to report back once we have tried it out.

Hi wbroshea,

I’m looking forward to your feedback.

Did you get a cover as well or are you waiting with that until you know the configuration you prefer?

Phoenix

I am going to wait on getting the cover. Can’t decide if we want a quilted cover with extra padding or the minimum padding to get us as close to latex as possible.

Also KTT said that if we choose to not use the extra inch of 28 ild then we can exchange it for an extra firm to use as the base. This would make us a 12" mattress and there are lots of options for a 12" mattress cover. Of course I assume there will be some charge, but I imagine it would be cheaper to exchange than buying a new piece of firm foam. We really wanted to test the extra layer despite believing we probably won’t use it. However, as said earlier, the exchange will still get us a twelve inch mattress so we get into the much wider variety of mattress covers, plus no customizing charge. With all of that factored in, we felt it made sense to purchase an extra inch of latex that we might not need/use.

I will be sure to give immediate impressions when I receive it, plus I will try my best to remember to give my impressions after a few months.

PS I made sure they knew where I had found out about them and they acknowledges that they had received a lot of traffic from this site. By the way, they were great with all my questions and very patient with me going back and forth with what I wanted to do.

Hi wbroshea,

I think this all sounds like a good plan and I agree that any shipping for an exchange would be less than a new layer so that sounds like a good idea as well.

Thanks again for the feedback :slight_smile:

Phoenix

So I have slept on the mattress (just the foam with a sheet over it) for only a few nights so I don’t have a lot of specific input other than it is a night and day difference in how well I sleep, so glad we made the purchase. I did have a question though.

After trying for a few nights, I do think my preference would be to have the 3" 21 ILD celsion over 2" 28 ILD talalay over 6" of 36 ILD Talalay. This means I would exchange the 1" layer of 28 ILD talalay for KTT’s firmest talalay layer in 1" to go on the bottom. My question is however, should I purchase my cover before I exchange? I have read, on this site actually, that the cover, depending on its properties, will actually firm the layers and I’m worried it will significantly change the feel of the mattress. Any opinions? What covers are more firming and what type are less firming?

Second question, anybody use adjustable bases? I was thinking about one and have been able to find 3 manufacturers, Leggett and Platt, ergomotion, and Reverie. Any others I should be looking at? Any recommendations for a model or a manufacturer, and of course where to get a good deal.

Hi wbroshea,

I think that this would be a good idea yes. You can read more about the effects of different types of covers and quilting materials in post #12 here and the posts it links to.

Many people use adjustable bases yes (and I’m one of them :)). There is more about choosing an adjustable base in post #3 here and the adjustable bed thread it links to and it also includes some sources that you can use as a “value” reference as well.

Phoenix

Another question about covers. I am looking at getting this cover: Our Manufacturer Memberships :: The Mattress Underground. We like it because it appears to be of high quality and is not quilted. Seems difficult to find non quilted covers. I have two questions.

1. Are there any other comparable non-quilted covers out there? I have looked at the list Phoenix posted for covers but thought this one looked (sadly pictures are all I have to go by) higher quality than the other non quilted covers. Also does anyone have any experience with these covers?

2. I want an adjustable bed, my wife isn’t sold on them because of the cost. We have agreed to slow down, save money and then purchase the adjustable bases down the road (year or two). My personal opinion is that we should just buy twin xl covers now, push them together to minimize the gap so that we don’t have to repurchase covers when we get the adjustable bases. My wife wants to just get the King cover because it is cheaper vs buying two twin xls, she is worried about the gap, and thinks I will forget about the adjustable base and never actually get one. So my long winded question boils down to how bad would the gap really be when comparing two twin xl’s pushed together using the above non quilted cover vs using a king cover, but not gluing the latex together to make one king piece so that I can use them as a split king with adjustable base at a later date. Hope that makes sense.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the base I want (not that it probably matters). I am looking at the reverie 7s. It has the features I want, and most importantly the looks my wife would live with. :slight_smile: Any reasons why I shouldn’t like that model?

Hi wbroshea,

I think the cover you are looking at would make a good choice. The SleepEz stretch cover you can see here may also be worthwhile considering. I know there are also other options in the component post but I haven’t looked at them in detail or asked about the specifics from the suppliers.

You wouldn’t need to repurchase two separate covers when you get an adjustable bed unless you want to operate each side of the adjustable separately (rather than connecting them together) in which case you would need two separate mattresses with separate covers. The tradeoff would be that you would feel the gap in between two separate mattresses much more than if you had split layers inside the same tight fitting cover. I would probably first decide on the importance of independent movement on each side if you do end up buying an adjustable base and then purchase the most appropriate cover accordingly.

There are options available that can cover up or even out the gap so you feel it less or not at all (see post #8 here) but then once again you wouldn’t be able to operate each side separately.

You’ve probably read this but post #3 here and the adjustable bed thread it links to has more information about adjustable beds and some sources you can use as a “value reference”. There would be no reason not to buy it that I can think of if it has the features and design you like at the best price. All the adjustables have the same basic function and beyond that it’s really a matter of comparing them based on the features that are most important to you vs the price you are paying. Competitors with a similar design would include the Ergomotion E Series and the Leggett & Platt Designer series.

Phoenix

Interesting. I couldn’t find that one on their website unless it is just the 4-way stretch knit, but it doesn’t look the same based on the pictures. I like it though.

Unfortunately I think independent control would be of high importance as I would likely use it much more than the wife. Plus based on the pictures of the Reverie 7s shows the top of the mattress has the bars that hold the mattress in place on both corners. So wouldn’t the two twin xls for a king with this model require a split Twin xl unless the pieces that hold the mattress in place are removable, maybe they are would actually make sense.

Hi wbroshea,

The picture of the stretch cover on their site isn’t current and it’s often the case that a website may not include all the options that a retailer or manufacturer has available.

If either one of you needs independent operation of your own side then the split may be worth the tradeoff of having a split or gap in between that you could feel.

It can be used in either configuration (with either a connected king or a split twin XL) and the corner retainer bars are removable (a connected king would still have only 4 bars on the corners).

Phoenix