Celsion Talalay / wool topper and temperature regulation

Another question about covers. I am looking at getting this cover: Our Manufacturer Memberships :: The Mattress Underground. We like it because it appears to be of high quality and is not quilted. Seems difficult to find non quilted covers. I have two questions.

1. Are there any other comparable non-quilted covers out there? I have looked at the list Phoenix posted for covers but thought this one looked (sadly pictures are all I have to go by) higher quality than the other non quilted covers. Also does anyone have any experience with these covers?

2. I want an adjustable bed, my wife isn’t sold on them because of the cost. We have agreed to slow down, save money and then purchase the adjustable bases down the road (year or two). My personal opinion is that we should just buy twin xl covers now, push them together to minimize the gap so that we don’t have to repurchase covers when we get the adjustable bases. My wife wants to just get the King cover because it is cheaper vs buying two twin xls, she is worried about the gap, and thinks I will forget about the adjustable base and never actually get one. So my long winded question boils down to how bad would the gap really be when comparing two twin xl’s pushed together using the above non quilted cover vs using a king cover, but not gluing the latex together to make one king piece so that I can use them as a split king with adjustable base at a later date. Hope that makes sense.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the base I want (not that it probably matters). I am looking at the reverie 7s. It has the features I want, and most importantly the looks my wife would live with. :slight_smile: Any reasons why I shouldn’t like that model?

Hi wbroshea,

I think the cover you are looking at would make a good choice. The SleepEz stretch cover you can see here may also be worthwhile considering. I know there are also other options in the component post but I haven’t looked at them in detail or asked about the specifics from the suppliers.

You wouldn’t need to repurchase two separate covers when you get an adjustable bed unless you want to operate each side of the adjustable separately (rather than connecting them together) in which case you would need two separate mattresses with separate covers. The tradeoff would be that you would feel the gap in between two separate mattresses much more than if you had split layers inside the same tight fitting cover. I would probably first decide on the importance of independent movement on each side if you do end up buying an adjustable base and then purchase the most appropriate cover accordingly.

There are options available that can cover up or even out the gap so you feel it less or not at all (see post #8 here) but then once again you wouldn’t be able to operate each side separately.

You’ve probably read this but post #3 here and the adjustable bed thread it links to has more information about adjustable beds and some sources you can use as a “value reference”. There would be no reason not to buy it that I can think of if it has the features and design you like at the best price. All the adjustables have the same basic function and beyond that it’s really a matter of comparing them based on the features that are most important to you vs the price you are paying. Competitors with a similar design would include the Ergomotion E Series and the Leggett & Platt Designer series.

Phoenix

Interesting. I couldn’t find that one on their website unless it is just the 4-way stretch knit, but it doesn’t look the same based on the pictures. I like it though.

Unfortunately I think independent control would be of high importance as I would likely use it much more than the wife. Plus based on the pictures of the Reverie 7s shows the top of the mattress has the bars that hold the mattress in place on both corners. So wouldn’t the two twin xls for a king with this model require a split Twin xl unless the pieces that hold the mattress in place are removable, maybe they are would actually make sense.

Hi wbroshea,

The picture of the stretch cover on their site isn’t current and it’s often the case that a website may not include all the options that a retailer or manufacturer has available.

If either one of you needs independent operation of your own side then the split may be worth the tradeoff of having a split or gap in between that you could feel.

It can be used in either configuration (with either a connected king or a split twin XL) and the corner retainer bars are removable (a connected king would still have only 4 bars on the corners).

Phoenix