Central VA (Richmond, VA) Area - Torn between Winndom, Cozy Pure and OMF

Hi, I’m new here~Just in dire need of a new mattress. I’ve been sleeping on the same mattress for over 13 years and it is nothing more than a sink hole. It is a cheap box spring mattress, maybe a Serta but not even sure.
I want to move on to the latex mattress. I thought about purchasing from Leesa or another internet company, but I have to have someone remove my old mattress and since those mattresses are shipped, I do not get old mattress removal.
Trying to be short, but I have researched Winndam, Cozy Pure and Original Mattress Factory. It appears OMF does not even let you exchange or return a mattress at all, so that should help me eliminate them.
Winndam doesn’t allow returns either, but they will “refluff or defluff” the mattress within a certain time period if it is too soft or hard. Cozy Pure will take returns but there is great cost involved with shipping the mattress back.
Anyone able to help out? I am of course just as concerned about comfort as well. I wake up feeling I haven’t slept at all, and most likely I haven’t. My back and body kills me in the morning. I need something soft and am concerned that latex may be too hard, but so many reviews on these mattresses appear they are the ‘best’ as far as quality and lasting a long time.
I’ve already read the Mattress section on this forum, which is why I have decided on latex (or memory foam if I have to). I just am not sure what the best place is to get it from.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!

Hi Scrappy70,

The best suggestion I can make would be to make sure you’ve read the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and know how and why to eliminate the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability, durability, and value.

Latex comes in a wide range of firmness levels from very soft to very firm so the firmness of any specific latex mattress would depend on the specifics of the latex layers in your mattress.

I would also be very cautious about using other people’s experiences or reviews on a mattress (either positive or negative) as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you and in many cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a group of people may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (see post #13 here).

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer (such as Cozy Pure) that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or even to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

[quote]Trying to be short, but I have researched Winndam, Cozy Pure and Original Mattress Factory. It appears OMF does not even let you exchange or return a mattress at all, so that should help me eliminate them.
Winndam doesn’t allow returns either, but they will “refluff or defluff” the mattress within a certain time period if it is too soft or hard. Cozy Pure will take returns but there is great cost involved with shipping the mattress back.[/quote]

I don’t know the specifics of the materials in the Winndom mattress you are considering (see this article) so I can’t make any meaningful comments about it but they generally use high quality materials in their mattresses that would have no “weak links” in the design.

Both OMF and Cozy pure use high quality materials in their mattresses and there are also no weak links in either of them in terms of durability but as you know Cozy Pure sells customizable all latex mattresses and OMF only has a single latex option which is a two sided latex/polyfoam hybrid so it would be an “all or nothing” choice.

I would keep in mind that the options you have after a purchase to return or exchange a mattress or individual layers or to fine tune a mattress are built in to the cost of a mattress and the majority of people that don’t use these policies are the ones who pay for the minority of people who do. Return/exchange policies are more important to some people than others depending on your confidence that a mattress is a good match for you in terms of PPP and that you will sleep well on it.

Just for reference … OMF does allow a one time exchange within the first year (you can see the details in post #4 here and on their warranty page here but of course they only have a single latex mattress so there wouldn’t be another latex mattress to exchange for.
ADMIN NOTE: Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: originalmattress.com/pdfs/2014_OrigMattFact_Warranty.pdf

As you mentioned … Winndom allows their customers to fine tune their mattress to make it softer or firmer which would add less to the cost of a mattress than a policy that allowed returning or exchanging an entire mattress.

Cozy Pure doesn’t allow returns on a mattress once you have used it but they do have different options available after a purchase to fine tune the comfort or support of the mattress after a purchase (see their page here). Once again these types of options add less to the cost of a mattress than a return or exchange policy.

[quote]I’ve already read the Mattress section on this forum, which is why I have decided on latex (or memory foam if I have to). I just am not sure what the best place is to get it from.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!! [/quote]

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area (although you may have already found the local forum list for your area).

The tutorial includes a link to a list of the members here (including Cozy Pure) that sell mattresses online (in the optional online step) that compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency and many of them make latex and latex hybrid mattresses that use different types and blends of latex that have a range of different designs, options, features, return and exchange policies, and prices that that would all be well worth considering.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix. My zip code is 23838, and location is Chesterfield, VA.

Hi Scrappy70,

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of (subject to the quality/value guidelines I linked in my last reply) are listed in post #5 here (I did a new search on the area to make sure that it was as up to date as possible).

Phoenix

Thank you Phoenix. I did review that post earlier. I guess I just have to choose and hope for the best. I did read somewhere that the OMF foam mattress started sagging and wearing down in a few years. Of course, everyone has an opinion so it is very hard to choose where to go.
If anyone has a Winndom or Cozy Pure, I would love to hear about it.

Thanks!

Hi Scrappy70,

Outside of an actual defect in the materials that would be unlikely because of the quality and durability of the materials they use. I would also keep in mind that their current Serenity latex mattress hasn’t even been available for 2 years yet.

I certainly wouldn’t just “hope for the best” and I would use the guidelines in post #13 here to help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses based on your confidence that a mattress will be a good match for you in terms of PPP, the quality and durability of the materials inside it, and on all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

When you are down to finalists that are all choices between “good and good” and none of them have any lower quality materials or “weak links” in their design and if there are no clear winners between them then you are in the fortunate position that any of them would likely be a suitable choice and post #2 here can help you make a final choice based on your local testing or mattresses you have slept well on, your more detailed conversations with each of them, your confidence about PPP and the suitability of each one, their prices, your preferences, the options you have after a purchase to fine tune the mattress or exchange or return the mattress or individual layers, any additional extras that are part of each purchase, and on “informed best judgement” based on all the other objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

Just as I am about to push the “PURCHASE” button with Cozy Pure, I decided to take one more look at other Latex mattresses. Then I ran across the Arizona Mattress company. Way cheaper in cost.

Any advice on the difference in these 2 mattress companies (as far as the organic latex mattress?) I am having a hard time paying the huge price for CozyPure. I definitely want organic, all natural, but it seems there are many other companies on the internet that are the same.

Please HELP!!

Hi Scrappy,

I’m assuming that you are comparing the organic Dunlop latex mattress here at Arizona Premium with the Organic Comfort line of mattresses here at Cozy Pure.

The link in my previous reply includes more about the three most important parts of the value of a mattress purchase that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses.

The most important part of the value of any mattress purchase is PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) which is all about how well you will sleep on a mattress.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart (which would include both of them) and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences or even to other mattresses that they are familiar with than anyone else.

Some of the design differences between them includes …

ARIZONA PREMIUM:
You have the choice of three different firmness levels in the 6" support core (soft, medium, and firm) and the comfort layer is a soft 2" organic Dunlop layer. The support core is a monozone layer. The cover is organic cotton quilted to wool. I’m not sure if the wool quilting is on one or both sides of the mattress (you will need to check with them when you talk with them on the phone).

Cozy Pure:
All their Organic Comfort Zone mattress use a 5 zoned organic Dunlop support core instead of a unizone support core and then you have the option of building different layers on top of it depending on the mattress and comfort level that you choose. Their 7" mattress includes just the 6" 5 zoned core, their 9" mattress includes a 2" comfort layer of convoluted organic Dunlop, their 10" mattress includes a 3" layer of soft, medium, or firm organic Dunlop, and then their 12" mattress includes the both the 3" layer and the 2" convoluted Dunlop layer. Their cover is organic cotton quilted to wool and is quilted on both sides of the mattress. Their body zone cover is also zoned in different areas of the sleeping surface as well.

Outside of PPP, the next most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. In this case since both of them are using the same organic Dunlop materials they would be very closely comparable in terms of durability.

Finally the last part of the “value” of a mattress purchase is all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you including the cost of each of them, the options you have available after a purchase, any additional benefits that comes with the mattress purchase, and of course the price of the mattress.

Arizona Premium charges extra for shipping while shipping is included in the Cozy Pure price so overall with shipping included Arizona Premium would be a slightly lower cost (if you are comparing the 8" mattress with the 8" mattress) while Cozy Pure has more custom layering options available in their mattress designs and includes some more specialized components (the zoned support core, the body zone cover and quilting, and the convoluted 2" comfort layer).

They each have different options available after a purchase as well so I would make sure you also talk with them about the customization options that are available to you after a purchase in your phone conversations with each of them.

They also each have different additional benefits or “bonuses” that come with a mattress purchase as well so I would also make sure you talk with them about these in your phone conversations as well.

Overall you are looking at two great quality/value options that are both members of the site which means I believe that they both compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency.

When you are down to finalists that are all choices between “good and good” (which you are) and none of them have any lower quality materials or “weak links” in their design (which they don’t) and if there are no clear winners between them then you are in the fortunate position that either of them would likely be a good choice and post #2 here can help you make a final choice based on your local testing or mattresses you have slept well on, your more detailed conversations with each of them, your confidence about PPP and the suitability of each one, their prices, your preferences, the options you have after a purchase to fine tune the mattress or exchange or return the mattress or individual layers, any additional extras that are part of each purchase, and on “informed best judgement” based on all the other objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix