Charles P. Rogers Upholstered Platform deck

Does anyone have any first hand experience with a Charles P. Rogers bed frame? Specifically, I’m interested in their upholstered platform deck that they use in lieu of wooden slats, for support of the mattress. I’d be using it with a latex mattress. I see some discussion of their line of mattresses, but I’m not interested in their mattress line. I see several platform beds of theirs that look nice, but they all seem to have the same upholstered platform that provides the support for the mattress. I can’t tell if it’s a solid piece, ventilated, or whether it would provide the same support as 2.5" apart spaced wooden slats. I don’t see much, if any, discussion, on this topic, but am starting this topic on this site, in hopes that someone has first hand experience. Thanks!

Hi gus1gus1,

I don’t have any specific experience with the Charles P. Rogers platform beds … I can make some comments about solid surface platform beds in general.

A solid surface platform will certainly provide a solid non flexing support surface under your mattress (assuming it has good center support) but it can reduce or eliminate ventilation or airflow and with foam mattresses and in combination with other risk factors this can increase the chance of developing mold and mildew issues and the occurrence of dust mites. There is more about this in post #10 here.

While this by itself doesn’t mean that you will develop mold or mildew … it is one of the risk factors.

Phoenix

We have the queen size Charles P. Rogers platform and it’s been very good. We use it with a memory foam mattress. The upholstered panels are in four pieces, rectangles that fit in to the base and there are two metal legs in the center of the platform underneath, in addition to the four legs on the corners that are built in to the frame. Once my husband found one of the metal legs had moved out of position and he didn’t like that. It may have happened with the vacuum sweeper, I don’t know, but he just repositioned it and it was fine.

We bought it because it seemed to be even better than having the slats since it was a such a solid base. Then again, the issues about airflow and dust mites seem valid as well. We haven’t had any mold or mildew issues, but dust mites….maybe!

I know this is a late response, but I just wanted to warn other consumers that Charles P. Rogers has really sketchy customer service. When we ordered our solide platform bed, they mailed the platforms separately, even though we only received one tracking number. Also, when we got them, the platforms didn’t fit. they overlapped onto the frame (and consequently scratched it), so we guessed that we accidentally received king instead of queen sized platforms. When I called and e-mailed pictures of this, they sent out new platforms that took another week to come out. I also asked in the e-mail that they take the wrong platforms away (we don’t have much room), and they basically ignored my question, saying they didn’t need them.

Also, while doing extensive research on this bed, I read quite a few reviews saying that these platforms were solid wood, but they are plywood. This may affect their longevity.

So if you order from them, just hope that they don’t mess up your order.

Hi meghang11,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience.

I’m not clear why you consider their customer service to be “sketchy”. It’s certainly possible that any business can make a mistake and I understand that they can be frustrating but they seem to have corrected their mistake and shipped you the correct size platforms within a week.

It’s also not surprising that they don’t want the old platforms back since they wouldn’t resell them so you could either find an alternative use for them, give them away, or throw them away.

I also wouldn’t consider reviews to be a particularly reliable source of information (and a manufacturer certainly isn’t responsible for the answers to questions in reviews unless they answer them themselves) and I would always ask questions about the materials in a bed directly to the manufacturer themselves.

Of course everyone that orders a product always hopes that the business they are ordering from won’t mess up an order but no business is perfect and mistakes can happen with any business from time to time and how a retailer or manufacturer deals with the mistakes they make is more important than the mistake itself.

Phoenix