Charles P. Rogers

Phoenix, Thanks for your detailed reply. I’m going to spend some time this weekend combing through all of the posts and links that you suggest and I’ll let you know what we end up deciding!

best, TV

Hi TV,

That would be great :slight_smile:

Phoenix

TV, was just curious what you decided since I’m looking at the Charles Rogers too?

Hi BeachMac,

I would be very cautious about using other people’s experiences or reviews on a mattress (either positive or negative) as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you and in many cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (see post #13 here).

Phoenix

I am also interested in the Powercore estate mattress line. I called and asked about the beds and learned the coils used are 1 gauge thinner (13 gauge) but have more twists than normal and are tightly packed. The latex layer in the 5000 model is 2" of 32 ILD Talalay, the 7000 adds a 1" layer of 24 ILD Talalay, and the 9000 adds another 1"" of 24 ILD gel infused Talalay for 4 inches of latex total…

Since I am not in a position to try out these mattresses, I hoping that the 7000 with the 1 inch of software latex will take the edge off the “back sleeper best buy” model 5000. I sleep on back and side, and am concerned that the 9000 with 2 inches of softer latex might cause a 200 lb guy like me to sink in too far at the hips (>1.5 inches) Any thoughts on if this is enough latex over the mattress coils to indicate a quality build?

Hi Xyth,

The thickness of the foam on top of the coils has little to nothing to do with the quality or durability of the mattress … only whether it would be a suitable “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). There are no lower quality materials or “weak links” in any of the mattresses you are considering.

In very general terms side sleepers tend to need a thicker/softer comfort layer than back sleepers and stomach sleepers tend to need the thinnest comfort layers of all but these are only very generic guidelines and when it gets down to the specifics that would work well for any particular person then only your own testing or personal experience can tell you whether any mattress is a suitable “match” for your body type and sleeping style.

You are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components would be the best “match” for you in terms of PPP or how a mattress will “feel” based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful testing or personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or even to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

An online choice is always a higher risk purchase because you won’t know whether it’s a good match for you in terms of PPP until you sleep on it. There is also more about the different ways to choose a mattress (either locally or online) that is the most suitable “match” for your specific needs and preferences and that can help with how to identify and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for that are involved in each of them in post #2 here.

When you are making an online purchase that you haven’t tried in person then the options you have after a purchase to exchange or return the mattress or make changes in individual layers to fine tune the comfort and support of the mattress (and the costs involved) is the most effective way to reduce the risks involved and for most people would become a much more important part of the “value” of your purchase so I would make sure you are comfortable with the options they provide after a purchase “just in case”.

I would also keep in mind that you can always add additional softness and pressure relief to a mattress by adding a topper but it’s much more difficult to firm up a mattress that is too soft because this would normally require removing and replacing the layers or components in the mattress that are either too thick or too soft.

The tutorial post includes several links to some of the better online options I’m aware of (in the optional online step) and if you let me know your city or zip code I’d also be happy to let you know about the better options or possibilities I’m aware of that are close to you as well.

Phoenix

After much research, I just bought a Charles P. Rogers St. Regis and the tag indicates it was made in the USA along with the manufacturing date (10/28/2015).

I’ve only slept on it one night so far.

Hi mosburger,

It’s good to see that they are manufacturing their St Regis mattresses in the US now. Even earlier this year they were still being made in China or the Phillipines.

Did you happen to find out the information listed here about the type and quality of the materials and components in the mattress? If you did (and knowing the quality and durability of the materials in a mattress is one of the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase) it would be great if you could post the specs on the forum since there have been some forum members that have considered the St Regis over the years (and some that have purchased it) but none of them were able to confirm whether there were any lower quality materials or “weak links” in the mattress that could compromise the durability and useful life of the mattress.

Phoenix

Charles P Rogers completely failed us. After reading the consumer reports review, and many others online, my wife and I ordered a nano 2 from Charles P Rogers at over $2,800, and a set of sheets to go with the new mattress. We even agreed to pay the extra $140 shipping fee. After a month had passed we were contacted by a shipper in Billings, MT, over 300 miles from my house. He informed me the mattress was damaged and he was concerned I would not accept it. He sent me photos which I forwarded to CPR. CPR offered me a mattress cover If I would accept the damaged item, which we refused. Next they said they would have a new mattress shipped within the next 3 weeks. Needless to say after a month we never saw a mattress or the sheets. At this point, we have paid interest on a credit card for a product we never received, and a week after canceling our order we are still waiting for a refund. Stay away from charles p rogers and buy locally.

Hi dmjessup,

I’m sorry to hear about your experiences with Charles P Rogers but I appreciate that you took the time to share them on the forum.

While your experience would be somewhat uncommon … that certainly wouldn’t make it any less frustrating and I hope you have the chance to let us know once you’ve received your refund.

Phoenix

:sick:
I purchased a Charles P. Rogers BILTMORE MATTRESS in January of 2015. (No longer made)

I bought it because my previous mattress was made by this company and last 25+ years. It was a tight top, flipable, queen that was absolutely fantastic.

For the first 9 to 10 months this new mattress was great! Loved IT. Then it started to develop a divot in the center. I’m a two-way sleeper. I start on my back then roll to my right. This divot is right in the center and goes down approx 1.5" to 1.75" when I wake up. This creates a slope of about 20-degrees for me to role out of in the morning.

This mattress came with a 10-year pro-rated warranty…

“:• If a body impression exceeds more than 1.5” on an otherwise not
worn out mattress we will replace within 10 years of delivery.
Mattress must be clean, not torn and unstained. We will inspect prior
to pick-up. Use of mattress protector or encasement strongly
recommended. Mattress covered with one of our protective products
automatically qualifies without inspection. 1 year full/10 year pro-rated
coverage"

When I called about the warranty service they offered “You will receive a credit of $78.67 to use towards your replacement mattress.”… That is hardly the prorated amount due based on their warranty. Further they suggested that I buy the St. Regis Mattress to replace it.

The idiocy of this is I save more money my the St. Regis directly from their web site when the shipping is free (not the 195.00 they want to charge).

At this point I am contemplating what action(s) I may take against them, but as it stands now, I will NOT be buying a new mattress from them again.

Hi Linker314,

I’m sorry to hear about your experience with your Charles P Rogers mattress.

Did they come out to do a warranty inspection and measure the depth of the impression (when there is nobody on the mattress)? Did they tell you your warranty claim was approved?

Phoenix

They never came out to do an inspection. After speaking with them I recieved the following email:

“Our sincere apologies regarding the delay in response. Thank you for sending the images to specify the issue in this matter. Please find attached warranty information for your Biltmore Queen Mattress. As stated you are covered under our pro-rated warranty, we will replace the mattress at a prorated charge plus transportation costs.
Your order was delivered in January 2015 making the use of the mattress 1 year and 2 months. You will receive a credit of $78.67 to use towards your replacement mattress. Please note, we no longer produce the Biltmore Queen Mattress. We advise the St. Regis Mattress in its place or you could speak with your salesman William to find the best choice for you. Based on the current promotion, you will also receive 20% off exclusive of transportation. Freight costs are $195.00. Please advise on your thoughts, we look forward to hearing back soon. You could also reach us via phone (800)272-7726, we are on the phones until 8pm.”

So, let that that $78.67 + receive 20% off exclusive of transportation and see what it gets. A new St. Regis mattress bought today from their web-site would be $879.20 + FREE SHIPPING! In other words, buy a new mattress WITHOUT their pro-rated warranty and discount on shipping would be cheaper then using it and get me a new mattress.

I am not a happy camper.

Hi Linker314,

Do you have a copy of your warranty that describes how the prorated portion of the warranty works (it looks like it was included in your email)? If you do it would be great if you could post it on the forum. The credit they are offering you seems to be very low (I know you know that).

If I was in your shoes I would call and ask them how they calculated the credit they offered you if it doesn’t seem to agree with the terms of your warranty.

I think their free shipping may have been a special promotion because according to their page here their current shipping charge for a mattress would be $145 but I’m not clear why their email said that shipping would be $195.

Once again … I would definitely call and talk to them to find out the reason for the credit and any other discrepancies.

Phoenix

Attached are screen prints of the email and wed-site just done.

Hi Linker314,

Thanks for the attachments. I didn’t see a link to the free shipping. Could you also add a copy of the warranty terms for your old mattress?

Phoenix

Here is the warranty.

Hi Linker314,

According to their warranty in the second year (which is when the prorating begins) you should be paying 10% of the cost of your mattress for a replacement which means that you should be receiving 90% of the cost of your mattress as a credit.

I would definitely call them because it seems more likely that the amount they quoted you would be the amount you would be paying (excluding transportation or delivery charges) rather than the amount of your credit.

Phoenix

An update from Charles P. Rogers:

“I am just following up as per my prior email in regards to your Biltmore Queen Mattress. As stated you are covered under our pro-rated warranty and we will replace your mattress at a prorated charge. It seems I have misinformed you regarding your credit, and I do apologize. Since you only used your mattress for 1 year and 2 months, you will receive a credit of $728.19 to use towards your replacement mattress.”

This is one hell of a change from the $195.00 they offered last week.

Hi Linker314,

Thanks for the update … I appreciate it.

It certainly looked like the person that answered your original email made a mistake and reversed the 10% reduction off the full price as your credit instead of the 90% of the original price that would apply in your second year of ownership.

I’m glad to hear that you followed up with them and that they corrected their mistake.

Phoenix