Charles P. Rogers

Yesterday, my wife and myself went to Charles P. Rogers to try out their beds. We tried several of their beds and we narrowed it down to the one we both felt very comfortable on, which was the Estate 9000. If was a combination of feeling plush and supportive.

Here are the specs for the bed from their website:

Estate 9000 Luxury Plush
Simply the best sleep surface in town. Extra layers of plush latex and cooling gel-infused memory foam for weightless comfort.
15-1/2" thick
Active Power Core™ spring unit
Comfort padding is double thick extra firm Pure Talalay Latex with added soft layer of Pure Talalay Latex and a layer of genuine latex gel.
340 gram circular knit with 25 mm hypo-allergenic quilt padding, Woven fabric border and gusset with handles on all 4 sides

Estate™ Latex Mattress
Why are these mattresses different and unique?

Because our care, experience and quality will help you realize your true sleep potential.
Simply put, the way we put our top quality materials together makes a better mattress.
The innovative designs and our investment in specialty equipment provides an ability to do things other manufacturers can't easily duplicate.
You get the best materials available. If we can't find something good enough, we create it ourselves.
You can buy with confidence. Estate™ Latex mattresses are made at our East Rutherford, NJ factory. Our quality control is 100%.
Every mattress is carefully built and thoroughly checked by proud people who truly care.

Powercore™ Spring Mattress Units
The exclusive Powercore™ Mattress Unit is the secret behind achieving a new level of comfort and true relaxation.

This is a new, better spring system. The individual spring design and placement, attachment, proper insulation between rows of coils and careful control of finished sizing make for a super durable and unusually comfortable spring unit.
A Powercore™ Unit would provide a good nights sleep without an ounce of additional padding, but of course we add progressive layers of premium quality Talalay latex.
Designed for use with latex foam, all coils that make up a Powercore™ unit are proprietary winds of ultra- high tensile strength extremely flexible steel wire.
Our wire's tensile strength is 20% more than wire used by the leading U.S. mass manufacturer. The coils are pre-loaded for strength and compressed into individual technical fabric pockets.
To provide better reaction and response to body pressure points throughout the unit, the coils feature more turns, more wire and more flexibility than any previous design.
The assembly and attachment of the springs into a complete innerspring unit is done by a CNC computer controlled robotic agglomerating machine.
The very specifics of our Powercore Plus™ unit are trade secrets (coil designs, assembly techniques etc.) that required us to develop our own machinery to keep this knowledge "in house".
We welcome visitors, with appointments, on a tour of our East Rutherford factory where these are made to see the machines and craftsmen in operation.

Talalay Latex Comfort Padding
The comfort padding are layers of pure, American made Talalay latex.

The Talalay latex process creates a more consistant padding material than latex using the Dunlop method.
Latex foam is naturally cool, non-toxic, anti-bacterial and allergen resistant.
Latex is a resilient support material and less prone to body impressions than petroleum based foams.
The border is built right into our mattress with a carefully fashioned foam encasement.
These arrangement are done to create mattresses with a traditionally firm, yet responsive feel.
Underneath the upholstery, our Powercore™ Unit unobtrusively provides instant adjustment and progressive support for the user without external controls.

Environmental Facts

Absolutely no solvents are used in the construction and assembly of our Estate™ Latex mattresses.
The steel for the innersprings is mostly post-industrial recycled and is 100% recyclable.
Our mattresses are Fire Retardant, designed and tested to meet CSPC standard 1633 without any use of chemical treatments,
All foams used are US or Canadian made and meet very strict manufacturing standards for HAP and VOC emissions.
Our foams are made without the use of PBDE, CFC's, mercury, lead or prohibited phthalates or other harmful substances.
While no mattress is completely emissions free, ours should be as low as any in the marketplace.
Customers can check foam manufacturer websites such as Carpenter (http://www.carpenter.com/), Hickory    (http://www.hickorysprings.com/2008/Foam.html) and Latex International (http://www.latexfoam.com/) for more foam specific     information.

A big plus in buying a bed from them is that they give you 90 days to try it out. If you don’t like the bed within 90 days, just give them a call and they will pick up the bed and refund your total purchase price, including shipping.

Any opinions about the quality of this bed would be appreciated.

Hi 2manybeds,

There is more about Charles P. Rogers in this thread which would be well worth reading. Outside of carefully and obectively testing a mattress for PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) using the testing guidelines … a mattress is only as good as its construction and the quality of the layers and components inside it. Once you have this information you can identify any weak links in the mattress and make meaningful comparisons to other mattresses. Without knowing this you would be making a blind purchase and there is really no way to know the quality/durability of a mattress. The information you need to assess a mattress is in post #4 here and if you can find out and list the layers and components of any of their mattresses you are considering I’d be happy to make some comments about the quality of the materials or help you identify any weak links in the mattress.

Phoenix

Hi - I purchased the new Cool Ultra from Charles P Rogers last week. I’m not ready to review it yet - my body is adjusting, and for me that’s not a quick process - but I also liked the Estate 9000 a lot, I’ve just had some bad experiences with latex so I opted for the memory foam.

If you’ve read the other thread you’ll know this but to repeat: while they don’t publicize all the details of their mattress’ construction, they’ll tell you everything you need to know if you ask, or call the factory if there’s something they don’t know. (In fact, I’m pretty sure there’s a mock-up of the Estate 9000 in the basement of the 17th Street Manhattan show room that’ll show you the thicknesses and ILDs of the latex used.)

Also, if you want some interesting reading, here’s a blog by a former mattress industry guy who happens to be a big fan of the company. Not to encourage you one way or the other, but his articles are interesting. www.oldbedguy.com

Good luck!

Hi mg517,

The ILD’s of the layers aren’t important to know (ILD is a “comfort spec” and your testing will tell you much more about whether a mattress is firm or soft enough for you in terms of PPP than ILD specs) but the density of all the polyfoam or memory foam layers is what you would need to know the quality and durability of the foam layers.

If you were able to find this out (see post #4 here for the information you would need to assess a mattress in terms of quality and durability and to identify any “weak links” in the mattress). It would be great if you can post them here for future reference for others that may be looking at Charles P. Rogers.

Hopefully you were able to find out the “quality specs” of the mattress but if you didn’t and you are comfortable with your purchase and any risks involved in choosing a mattress where you don’t know the quality of the materials then congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Phoenix, by talking to my salesman, I was able to get the ILD numbers for 2 of the 3 comfort layers of the Estate 9000, which are made of Talalay Latex. The bottom layer is 32 and the middle layer is 24. He was unable to provide me with the ILD number for the top comfort layer, which is made of a layer of genuine latex gel. I’m waiting for a call back from him tomorrow to find out the thickness of each comfort layer.

Also, mg517, the bed that we tried out was on their main level. We probably spent around 20 minutes on it, and we both liked it a lot. It wasn’t as plush as the 3 Kingsdown mattresses that fell apart on us, but I can live with that if that quality of this bed is excellent.

Thanks for your help.

Hi 2manybeds,

ILD is a “comfort spec” and isn’t necessary to know when someone is testing a mattress locally (your body will tell you what you need to know about PPP). With latex … the type and blend of the latex would be what you need (and in this case it would probably be blended Talalay latex which is a good quality material) and with memory foam and polyfoam the density of the foam would be the information you would need to assess its quality/durability.

Phoenix

I’m interested in the Charles P. Rogers beds…but having a hard time understanding how they are any “better” or “worse” than Christeli or even Dreamfoam bedding which uses 4lb memory foam.

the CPR beds do LOOK nicer though…atleast to me. The St. Regis is what I"m interestedin at the moment due to the price and I like a firmness to my mattress. But the Powercores are interestign too. Bring some reviews please guys.

Hey MG517 did you get to try the St Regis? What did you think of it if you did?

Hi EZ4HZ,

The Dreamfoam mattresses and the Christeli mattresses you are probably looking at are memory foam mattresses (memory foam over a polyfoam support core) and the Charles P Rogers mattresses are innerspring mattresses (different types of foam and padding over a pocket coil) so they are completely different types of mattresses that use different materials and components. Comparing them would be like asking whether an apple is better than an orange and each person will have their own preferences. The choice between different types of mattresses is always a preference choice and would depend on which type of mattresses your testing indicates you tend to prefer.

Having said that … there is more about the most important parts of the value of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful comparisons even between different types of mattresses.

The most important part of “value” is how well a mattress matches your unique needs and preferences in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) which will determine how well you will sleep on the mattress.

Outside of PPP … the next most important part of the “value” of a mattress purchase is the quality and durability of the materials inside the mattress. This will tell you how long you are likely to sleep well on a mattress relative to another one before you cross the thresholds from sleeping well to sleeping OK to “tolerating” a mattress to finally deciding to replace it. Since you can’t “feel” the quality of the materials in a mattress (lower quality and less durable materials can feel the same as higher quality and more durable materials when they are new … they just won’t last as long), the only way to know whether a mattress has any obvious weak links in terms of durability is to find out the specifics of all the materials and components in the mattress (see this article).

If Charles P Rogers will provide you with this information then you would have what you need to make an informed choice about their mattresses and to make more meaningful comparisons to other mattresses. Unfortunately they told me that they don’t provide this information to their customers (see post #34 here and the rest of the topic) and without this you would be making a blind purchase in terms of knowing the quality and durability of the materials in the mattress and you wouldn’t be able to make meaningful comparisons with other mattresses.

If in spite of what they told me they are willing to provide you with this information then you can compare it to the guidelines here or if you post it on the forum then I’d be happy to make some comments about the quality of the materials inside it and help you identify any potential weak links in the mattress.

The process of comparing mattress really comes down to testing for suitability (PPP), checking for the quality of the materials (durability), and comparing with your other finalists based on all your preferences and on the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Its only possible to do this with a retailer or manufacturer that is transparent and open about the quality of all the materials in their mattresses … particularly the comfort layers which are generally the weakest link of a mattress.

Phoenix