cheap and confortable mattress setup for guesthouse

I am setting up a house to rent for the summer and am looking at getting 2 queen mattresses .

Im in Canada so i have fewer options where to buy than in USA.

These beds will be used by guests so there is no specific PPP requirements. i just need good all around choices and my budget is less than 600$ per mattress

need some feedback on these queen mattress options

Option 1 is Mattress with topper
IKEA MORGEDAL mattress $299 Matress comes in choice of Firm or MED/Firm Thickness: 7 1/8 " polyurethane foam

w/ topper

Topper option one: 5 lb COOL MEMORY FOAM MATTRESS TOPPER $269 for the 2" 339 for the 3"
Topper option two: 2" NATURAL TALALAY LATEX TOPPER $329 for the 2" choice of 20 ILD or 30 ILD

free shipping no tax sale at memoryfoamcomfort.ca Ends tomorrow so i have to act fast if i want to do this one

Option 2 is mattress without topper

IKEA MATRAND $399 Dunlop Latex over foam
IKEA MYRBACKA $599 Dunlop Latex over foam

Hi ronpaul,

Choosing a mattress for a guest bedroom or for temporary use that is used less frequently and doesn’t need to “match” a specific person is generally a little easier than choosing a mattress for a particular person where PPP and durability are both more important.

In very general terms a good strategy can be to buy a basic “medium firm” mattress (firmness ratings can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer but as long as it’s in the general range it would be fine) which many people would be fine with at least temporarily and then to add a topper so that your guests that prefer a softer mattress can add the topper. You would only need materials that are in the lower end of the quality/durability range in post #4 here because a guest mattress will last longer if it’s only being used occasionally than it would if it was being used every day. I would still avoid materials that are lower quality than the guidelines because even with temporary use there they can still soften or break down too quickly and there are many good options available in your budget range where the quality of the materials would be inside the guidelines.

[quote]Option 1 is Mattress with topper
IKEA MORGEDAL mattress $299 Matress comes in choice of Firm or MED/Firm Thickness: 7 1/8 " polyurethane foam

w/ topper

Topper option one: 5 lb COOL MEMORY FOAM MATTRESS TOPPER $269 for the 2" 339 for the 3"
Topper option two: 2" NATURAL TALALAY LATEX TOPPER $329 for the 2" choice of 20 ILD or 30 ILD[/quote]

The Morgedal uses 2.2 and 1.7 lb polyfoam which would certainly be suitable for a guest mattress. It also comes in a firm and medium firm version and I would probably tend to choose the medium firm version. As far as a topper I would probably lean towards the 2" softer latex so that you have a softer sleeping surface compared to sleeping on the mattress directly and a softer and more resilient material may be a better “match” for a larger percentage of people than memory foam because even though many people like the feel and slow response of memory foam … there are also many others that don’t and it tends to be more of a “love it or hate it” type of material than latex (although there are also people that don’t like the more resilient “feel” of latex).

[quote]Option 2 is mattress without topper

IKEA MATRAND $399 Dunlop Latex over foam[/quote]

This has about 5" of synthetic latex over 1.7 lb polyfoam and is also medium firm but it may be too firm for some of your guests so it would probably be a good match for a lower percentage of people than having a separate mattress/topper combination.

This has a thicker layer of synthetic (about 6") and a higher quality base foam (2.2 lbs) and also has a wool quilted cover so it would be more temperature regulating than a cover that used synthetic fibers. I would tend to lean towards this one vs the Matrand but it’s also a “medium firm” mattress so it wouldn’t have the same firmness options as a mattress/topper combination.

Overall, if I was in your shoes I would tend to lean towards the mattress/softer latex combination because of the more flexible firmness options it provides.

There may also be some other local options that are available to you and if you let me know your city or postal code I’d be happy to let you know about the better local options or possibilities I’m aware of.

The better online options I’m aware of that ship across Canada are also listed in post #21 here.

Phoenix

Thank you Phoenix

In your opinion is is there a weak link in the MORGEDAL mattress With 2" latex topper?

In the photos of the MORGEDAL mattress on another thread the Firm version of the Mattress had 4.5" of 2.2 lb poly foam and 3 " of 1.7 lb poly foam

the med/firm version appears to have 4" of 2.2 lb poly foam

Also the Latex topper im looking at is Natural Latex Mattress & Organic Bed Topper | Soft. Medium. Firm | MFC

It does not come with a cover so it would just sit between the mattress protector and the mattress. is that ok or does the topper need its own cover?

also the bed foundation choices are luroy or lonset from IKEA is one better than the other?

The bed would be used 6 months of the year and it is rental like hotel or vacation rental so the guests will not be taking off and on the mattress topper it will just stay on

I live on PEI postal code C0A 1N0 so that is nowhere near a large city.

Hi ronpaul,

[quote]In your opinion is is there a weak link in the MORGEDAL mattress With 2" latex topper?

In the photos of the MORGEDAL mattress on another thread the Firm version of the Mattress had 4.5" of 2.2 lb poly foam and 3 " of 1.7 lb poly foam

the med/firm version appears to have 4" of 2.2 lb poly foam

Also the Latex topper im looking at is en.memoryfoamcomfort.ca/natural-latex-ma…s.html#latex_toppers[/quote]

You can see the quality/durability guidelines I would normally suggest in post #4 here but there wouldn’t be any obvious weak links in the combination no.

Based on the information here … the softer version may also use a convoluted bottom layer as well.

I would suggest a dedicated cover for a latex topper (see post #2 here).

The Lonset would most likely be stronger and also has the option to adjust the firmness of different sections of the base which can help “fine tune” a mattress in terms of PPP so overall I would say it would be “better” choice.

There isn’t a forum list for any of the PEI communities unfortunately but time permitting over the course of the next few days I’ll take a look in the area to see if there are any better options or possibilities show up with some research that appear to be worth considering.

The only “possibilities” that showed up with a very quick search in the Charlottetown and surrounding areas (subject to making sure that they will disclose the type and quality of the materials in their mattresses and meet the “value” guidelines here) and the manufacturers they carry that I would focus on include …

http://www.hamblysbrandsource.ca/hcwen Charlottetown, PE. Springwall, Concept ZZZ

http://www.macarthurappliances.ca/maaen/ Charlottetown, PE. Springwall mattresses.

http://sleepfactory.com/ Charlottetown, PE. Sleep Factory private label mattresses.

http://www.homefurniture.ca/en/index.htm Summerside, PE. Springwall

Phoenix

Thank you Phoenix great info here

I have been reading allot here the last few days and after talking with my wife we are going to go with the Mattress with a Topper but Insted of the MORGEDAL $299 matress i am leaning on the IKEA MATRAND $399 with 5" of dunlop laytex and 1.7 lb polyfoam. I think for $100 dollars more it may be worth it to upgrade to this. And the 2 " Talalay topper is $329

Matress $399
Topper $329

Hi ronpaul,

That certainly sounds like a good plan and it would give your guests a chance to choose between two different firmness levels.

Assuming that you decide to pull the trigger … congratulations on your new mattress/topper :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi

I went with one mattress with the topper and the other without

Pulled the trigger on one laytex topper. from memoryfoamcomfort.ca they have nice stuff and i have my eye on the shredded latex pillows if i have any cash left after i furnish this whole guest house

I didnt buy the mattresses yet they will be part of a larger order form Ikea along with other furnishings. The mattresses in my cart right now are
IKEA MATRAND $399 Dunlop Latex over foam (This one will get the latex Topper)
IKEA MYRBACKA $599 Dunlop Latex over foam (can add a topper later if needed)

on a side note i also bought one $500 set of Imorted(from China) Mulberry Silk sheets with duvet cover. We will see if it adds quality of the sleep or not. for $500 USD i hope so

Hi ronpaul,

You should have some happy guests!

I hope so too. Silk sheets can certainly be a great choice and have a wonderful “feel”. There is some discussion about them (and linen sheets) in this topic and in this topic.

I hope you have a chance to add your comments and feedback after you’ve slept on them.

Phoenix