Cheaper alternative to Naturally Organic Oyasumi Dream Mattress?

Hi, I’m a petite female (5’3, about 95lbs) side sleeper and I’d like a layered latex mattress similar in feel to the Oyasumi Dream 10" mattress, without the $4k price tag.

I was told by the sales associate that their mattresses feel softer because the type of casing doesn’t compress the latex as much & because the layers are individually wrapped. The Dream is 2 4" layers & one soft 2" layer of Dunlop latex. In the store I liked the F/M/S configuration. I was told I could go softer and do M/M/S but the SA told me I might not even feel the difference in the bottom layer because of my size, is that true? I tried the thinner mattresses and didn’t like them.

What other mattresses would give me the same feel as this one with a better value?

Hi Serene1,

The reason a mattress would generally feel softer than another mattress would primarily be from the firmness/softness of the foams inside it. There are latex mattresses that would feel softer than the Oyasumi Dream you tested and others that will feel firmer. There is more about the reasons for wrapping the individual layers inside a mattress in post #2 here (and softness isn’t really one of them) and there is more about wool quilted covers vs unquilted knit covers that are more stretchy in post #6 here. In a mattress that uses a soft layer of foam in the comfort layers the quilting will tend to make the mattress feel a little firmer not a little softer.

[quote]Hi, I’m a petite female (5’3, about 95lbs) side sleeper and I’d like a layered latex mattress similar in feel to the Oyasumi Dream 10" mattress, without the $4k price tag.

What other mattresses would give me the same feel as this one with a better value? [/quote]

There is more about the different ways that one mattress can “match” another one in post #9 here but unless two mattresses have almost exactly the same design with the same type and blend of latex, the same layer thicknesses and firmness, and a functionally similar cover there really isn’t any way to know how closely two mattresses will approximate each other for any particular person outside of your own personal testing or experience.

“Feel” is also very subjective and I would also suggest avoiding using using a specific mattress as your “target” or reference point because it may not be the best possible match for you in the first place compared to other mattresses that you haven’t tried and you could end up excluding many other mattresses that may be different but could be a better choice in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). Human memory for softness, firmness, and “feel” is also very unreliable and short term and a mattress that may feel similar to what you “remember” another mattress feels like may end up being very different than how they would compare if you were to test them side by side in real time. Instead of using a specific mattress as a reference point I would rate every mattress you consider against a common set of criteria (rather than against another mattress) using the testing guidelines in the tutorial post and based on which one is the best “match” for you in terms of PPP and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

It would be fine to make the Oyasumi Dream one of your “finalists” but I wouldn’t make any mattress the standard that you use to assess every other mattress you are considering because it’s unlikely that you will find another mattress with exactly the same design so using the Oyasumi Dream as your target means that you would be excluding many other mattresses that use the same quality materials (100% natural Dunlop latex) and may be just as suitable for you in terms of PPP but would have a different combination of layers and a different design. Post #13 here also has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase that can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses.

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you now about the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

The mattress shopping tutorial also includes a link to a list of the members here that sell mattresses online (in the optional online step) that compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency. Many of them also make latex and latex hybrid mattresses (including component latex mattresses with individual layers) that use different types and blends of latex that have a range of different designs, options, features, return and exchange policies, and prices that you can use as a reference point for comparing “value” based on the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

Thank you for your response Phoenix! I live in NYC and do not drive, so I can’t go anywhere out of state. I’ve been to Scott Jordan and tried the Berkeley Ergo latex & coil mattresses, too firm and I could feel the pressure on my shoulders laying on the mattresses. I don’t remember the exact specs, but I did try a SavvyRest all latex with soft Talalay over Dunlop, and I didn’t really like the springy feel of the Talalay. However, neither of the salespeople spoke to me about alignment and I don’t have anyone to mattress shop with me, so it’s hard for me to judge on my own what is objectively best vs what feels nice b/c it’s what I’m used to. So far, I’d be open to an all Dunlop mattress or even coil & latex if I could find something with more pressure relief.

The salesperson at The Clean Bedroom told me that since I’m small, on a 10" in mattress, I wouldn’t feel a difference in the bottom layer if I tried F/M/S vs M/M/S? Is that true?

Hi serene1,

This will depend to some degree on your sensitivity and where you are in the range between “princess and the pea” and “I can sleep on anything”. In general terms the upper layers (the top 3" - 6") of a mattress will contribute most of what you feel when you first lie on a mattress or when you are going to sleep at night but the deeper layers can also play a role in what you feel when you wake up in the morning (either with or without discomfort or pain in your lower back especially that can come from sleeping out of alignment).

With lighter weights that don’t sink into a mattress as deeply the deepest layers will have a less noticeable effect on what you feel or how you sleep than they would for those who are in heavier weight ranges so there would be many people in your weight range that wouldn’t notice any significant difference between a 10" mattress where the bottom 4" was firm and a mattress where the bottom 4" was medium although there would still be some people that may notice a difference … especially based on how they feel when they wake up in the morning.

If two different mattresses are very similar or the same to you then I would tend to choose the firmer of the two.

There is also more about primary or “deep” support and secondary or “surface” support and their relationship to firmness and pressure relief and the “roles” of different layers in a mattress in post #2 here and in post #4 here that may also be helpful in clarifying the difference between “support” and “pressure relief” and “feel”.

Phoenix