Cheaper Parsons bed alternative w/ steel frame?

As an adult-ish type aged person, I’d like to finally get a bed with a headboard.

I like the simplicity of the Room & Board’s Parson’s bed, but at $900 that feels insane to me.
(Parsons Bed - Modern Bedroom Furniture - Room & Board)

Which steel frame company do you like that might have a frame with a simple headboard that I could use?

Me: 160lbs, girlfriend is lighter/smaller than me. Looking to support a 9-10" latex+foam combo bed, but would like to know that it’s strong.

There HAS to be something for like 1/3 the price of that Parson’s right? It’s mostly just a steel box frame!

Hi zerostyle!

I agree that this frame has nice simple lines and solid construction. It is made in Minnesota with US materials and handcrafted joinery which probably counts for the price tag coming off a bit high.

I don’t know how much research you did since you found our site but I’d start by checking out at least a few other headboard solutions. This video from the Mattress To Go looks at several solid and simple metal frames that usually have riveted brackets at least at one end to attach headboards (Some headboards are bolt-on and some use a hook type clip-on)

Quite right! The bedframe is an important part of the sleeping system and is the part that supports everything else (the foundation, the mattress, and the people on the mattress). In the case of a steel bedframe, I would make sure it has at least 1.5" angle iron and good center support to the floor (preferably with at least two legs for king sizes) and legs that don’t bend or collapse when you move the bed. Most of the major bedframe manufacturers make steel bedframes with brackets for headboards that will be fine but in general, I would avoid the cheapest versions which can be weaker and not as solid or well-constructed.

I’d also make sure that the distance between slats of any bedframe you may consider meets the requirements of the mattress manufacturer and that it does not void the warranty or adversely impact the long-term performance of your " 9-10" latex+foam combo bed "
This thread also has more about heavy duty bedframes that might be helpful.

https://www.knickerbockerbedframe.com/bed-architecture/ (they make one that is very strong called the monster bedframe)
https://www.bedframes.com/ (although many of Mantua’s frames are sold out right now)
There are many other good quality and strong frame suppliers and Hollywood , and Malouf Structures to mention just a few. Even lower budget frames that you may want to check out:
Zinus Trisha 7-inch platform bed with headboard for $125.
Vecelo seems to have some interesting products and appears to offer a number of metal frames with headboards that are also under $200.

There is more about the different types of foundations and platforms that are suitable for different types of mattresses in the foundation post here

Whatever you decide (and I am sure there are many other brands out there) be sure to read the specifications of the frame as to what it can handle as far as the weight capacity (include the weight of the mattress + sleepers) and distance between slats so you don’t end up with sagging issues later.

I hope this is helpful to you and I look forward to any updates or comments you might have.
Phoenix