Chemical-Free First Mattress for 3-Year-Old

Hello,

I’m so happy to have found this website! I am in the process of deciding on a full mattress for my son – we want to go completely natural and chemical-free, and organic if possible, however our budget is not unlimited…and our son is three, after all :slight_smile:

I’ve been to a local organic/natural mattress showroom in my area, and liked the SavvyRest Earthspring. At $1299 for a full (plus $500 for the foundation) it is a little more than I want to spend, but their October promotion helps make it more worthwhile. I like the more “traditional” feel of the mattress (I’m assuming this comes from the inner springs – I don’t like the memory foam type feel at all, nor sinking into my mattress. I’ve also seen some that are more like really thick futon mattresses, which I also don’t like). I also tried the Naturepedic, but it was a little firm for me.

I’m wondering what other options might exist out there for an economical organic and/or natural mattress that has the traditional mattress feel. Am I missing something? I would love to keep the cost lower than the $1800 for the SavvyRest, but really like the feel of that mattress.

Thank you!!!
Anderson

Hi eanderson,

Post #2 here includes some links to posts with lots more information about mattresses and children including some very good quality and high value natural choices which are significantly less than what you are looking at.

The foundation thread also has links to some good value foundations.
Hope this helps.

Phoenix

I just recently had a post about a mattress for my 4 year old. I bought the Ultimate Dreams latex mattress on Amazon.

After some debate I decided not to buy the more ‘natural’ version that they sell although that also seems like a great option and is much more chemical free from what I understand - as well as having a wool cover. Mine just arrived today, and I think that I am going to be super happy with it. There was no off-gassing that I could smell and it really feels substantial - like a good quality mattress that will last her a long time. Oh yeah…and comfortable! :slight_smile:

It is also considerably cheaper than the one that you are considering.

Dear Phoenix,

Thank you for the links! I’ve done more research and am now leaning toward a latex mattress, specifically the Sleep EZ Select Sleep 7000, but I do have a few lingering questions about some other models:

1. I decided the SavvyRest Earthspring was too expensive, but if I were to go with an innerspring mattress, it looks like Pure Echo from mygreenmattress.com and Naturepedic are two of the only options. I know the Naturepedic is quite firm – do you know if the Pure Echo is just as firm, and if the two are comparable in construction and quality? Also, I’m not finding a lot of info on either company’s shipping costs and return policies – do you know? This is where Sleep EZ seems to have a serious edge…

2. The Ultimate Dreams mattress – even the “natural” one, which is $200 more, still has 2.35 pound high density HR base foam in it. What is that, and is it all natural?

3. Are there any latex possibilities I may have missed on mattresses.net or mygreenmattress.com, or anywhere else, that would be comparable to the Select Sleep 7000 in quality, customizability and low shipping/return cost?

Thanks again!
eanderson

Hi eanderson,

The Pure Echo Line from MyGreenMattress uses a good quality innerspring along with cotton and wool for padding and an organic cotton ticking. Latex is also an option and they are great value for those who are looking for this type of mattress or are in this budget range. The shipping costs are listed in the link ($185) and it can be built two sided for an extra 20%. The links to their return policy and warranty are on the same page. I would talk to them about the “relative firmness level” because they would know much more than me how it would compare to other mattresses. It would also need a waterproof cover for a child. It is rated as a “medium” but this means different things to different people.

The Naturepedic uses different components including a different innerspring and doesn’t have wool (only cotton) and has a waterproof cover on one side (less breathable) for one model and a quilted cotton quilting ticking for the other which is also available in a two sided version. They are both significantly more that the Emily but I would probably talk with Tim at My Green Mattress to see if they were familiar with it and to see if they can give you some sense of how they may compare. I would personally prefer wool because of its benefits but this is a personal preference.

IMO … the Pure Echo is better “value” (My Green Mattress … like the other members here … have some of the best “value” in the country). Both use high quality but different components and materials and there are no harmful chemicals in either.

In terms of an all latex mattress … SleepEz has two choices for a 6" model (two 3" layers). One is the SleepEz 7000 and the other is their Special. Both use two 3" layers but the special doesn’t have the wool quilted cover and uses 100% natural dunlop in the core layers rather than having a choice between Talalay and Dunlop. Having two 3" cores provides the ability and flexibility to customize the layers which can be an advantage for some people.

Arizona Premium also offers a 6" solid core latex mattress with wool quilting but shipping and exchange options may be more limited.

Rocky Mountain mattress also has a 6" latex mattress with wool quilting here.

CozyPure also offers a slightly higher priced all latex mattress here.

In most cases … innerspring mattresses are not available as a component system (where you choose your own layers) and are shipped as a unit through regular truck freight (individual layers can be shipped through UPS in many cases) but it may also be worth talking with Bay Bed and Mattress who makes an innerspring mattress with customizable latex comfort layers which they can ship across the country.

All of these are good value choices although there are many differences between them and I would talk in person to any of these that you are interested in about any information that isn’t on their site or questions you may have (they all know more about their mattresses than I do :)). They are all very accommodating with questions about their products on the phone and may even suggest some further options.

The base foam in their mattresses and is a high quality polyurethane foam which is American made and most people would consider “safe” but polyurethane foam is not a natural material. It also contains 1.5" of polyurethane foam in the quilting layers. They are excellent value as well but polyurethane is not a natural material and this may be important for those who are looking for more natural or organic options. Latex also comes in different versions and you can read more about these in this article.

There may also be some local options or manufacturers in your area that also have similar mattresses and if you let me know your city or zip I’d be happy to let you know about any I’m aware of.

Phoenix

Would love to know of anything local – I’m in South Florida, specifically Ft Lauderdale but close enough to Miami and West Palm.

Thanks again!

Hi eanderson,

Post #2 here includes the manufacturers in the area (Palm Beach to Miami).

Ikea also has a Latex mattress that is mostly natural Dunlop that may be worth considering although it can’t be customized and is fairly firm…

Phoenix

Isn’t Emily a crib mattress only?

Hi eanderson,

I think my head was a little foggy last night (working my way through a cold).

I meant to say the “Pure Echo” is better value (now corrected).

Their sister site Quality sleep Shop does make an Emily mattress in larger sizes but it’s not the same mattress as the Emily crib.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

I visited Comfort Custom Bedding today in Fort Lauderdale. Don was very helpful and let us try out a few different mattress configurations – they were not finished mattresses, but the components laid out on a foundation. These are the two we are considering:

1. Two layers of 3" blended talalay plus a layer of wool quilted to organic cotton zippered cover – $1395 for a full, including foundation and delivery. In this case the Sleep EZ 7000 seems like a better deal at $1254 (thanks to 5% MU discount, plus they use all natural latex and throw in free pillows).

2. 4" pocket coils (with latex on all four sides between the coils and the cover) and 3" blended talalay comfort layer, plus a layer of wool quilted to organic cotton zippered cover – $800 for a full, including foundation and delivery. This seems like a very good deal and I was hoping you could confirm! The Pure Echo would cost almost the same thanks to $185 in shipping, and does not include any latex at all, and Naturepedic is way more.

Also, I’ve been reading about blended vs all natural talalay, but am finding mostly info on comfort and durability – I’d really like to understand better the composition of the synthetic latex that is blended in, since we are trying to stay away from chemicals.

As always, thanks for your help!

EAnderson

Hi eanderson,

You are at the place where all your choices are good ones and the choices are really a matter of preferences and smaller differences in “value” and which choice best fits your “value equation” which is the best place to be :slight_smile:

Yes … this seems like very good value to me as well.

Blended latex is a mix of SBR (Styrene Butadiene) and NR (natural rubber from the Hevea Brasiliensis tree). The Styrene and Butadiene that are used to produce SBR are usually synthesized from petrochemical sources although there are other sources as well. Natural rubber is mostly Isoprene which has a slightly different chemical composition from SBR.

Both types are considered to be very safe and in the case of Talalay both are Oeko-Tex standard 100 class 1 certified (safe for close contact with babies). Most Dunlop latex has the same or a similar certification. You can see what they test for here.

There is more detailed information about the differences between NR and SBR in post #2 here (which has some fairly technical information and links) and in post #2 here.

Hopefully this should give you about as much “chemical” information as you would want :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I just spoke with EJ Schrader, a company in West Palm Beach that got great reviews on this site, and Diane said that 3" latex layers will easily shift, even with a snug cover, and that I should only go with a 6" core only. She said that all latex originally comes as a 6" piece, and is cut down to 3" as a marketing gimmick to sell customizable layers. This seems to contradict everything I’ve read so far. She also said a 4" pocketed coil wouldn’t provide enough support – she said 6" minimum was needed (plus the 3" latex comfort layer). Would love your thoughts :slight_smile:

Thanks again,
EAnderson

Hi eanderson,

Each manufacturer tends to have their own design theory that works for them and which they build their mattresses around. Sometimes though … they come to believe that other types of designs are somehow “flawed” instead of realizing that their own design theory is just a preference that they are more comfortable with. There is of course some basis and truth to their opinions but they exaggerate it’s importance and lose the context or the rest of the story.

They are correct that most (but not all) latex starts as a single thicker layer most commonly around 6". 3" layers though are a valid and useful option IMO which allows for layering combinations that aren’t possible with a single 6" layer and with a zip cover if they do shift (latex is very “sticky” so this doesn’t really happen in normal use) it is easy to open the cover and “shift” it back. Both are valid designs. They can also be glued together for those who wish to but this would reduce the options and benefits that come with unglued layers. To tell someone that the ability to exchange a single layer that helped them get to their “ideal” configuration or that a layering combination that works perfectly for them is somehow buying into a marketing gimmick is somewhat misleading and self serving. They are losing sight of the goal and the many “tradeoffs” involved in every design by only pointing out one piece of the puzzle to the exclusion of the rest and exaggerating its importance. I would have no problem if they stated their thoughts as a preference but to state it as a black and white “better/worse” doesn’t really do anyone any favors.

A 4" pocket coil is certainly smaller than the norm and would more typically be used in a futon but again it is for a 3 year old who weighs much less than an adult will probably need to change the mattress by the time she reaches puberty because her needs will change. If a mattress provides pressure relief and support (spinal alignment) and the components that do so are durable enough for the specific use … then who is to say that the means of accomplishing it are somehow “wrong”. Imagine someone sleeping on a mattress that they loved that provided them with everything they needed and wanted and then someone trying to convince them that somehow it was somehow a “bad design” when for them it was exactly right. My bigger concern with a mattress with pocket coils would be that it could be too soft for a young child. It should probably be a little firmer than you are comfortable with.

Phoenix