chemical free

Will we start seeing more chemical free mattresses in retail stores in the near future?

Hi Villani2,

That would probably depend on how you define ā€œchemical freeā€ but by most peopleā€™s definitions there are already many chemical free options in the market although they are in more specialized areas of the industry and not so much in mainstream stores. I think that the ā€œchemical freeā€ market is a relatively small niche in the market and they tend to be in much more premium budget ranges that cater to the much smaller number of consumers where that is a major part of their personal value equation so itā€™s unlikely that you will see a much greater emphasis on them in mainstream stores. The relatively small ā€œchemical freeā€ segment and the more specialized retailers and manufacturers that specialize in this type of mattress is probably growing though.

The market segment that focuses on ā€œchemical freeā€ sometimes includes a lot of misinformation and in some cases some ā€œmarketing spinā€ about the ā€œdangersā€ of chemicals when chemicals are not as much of an issue as ā€œsafetyā€. Organic latex is a very ā€œsafeā€ material for example but includes a small percentage of chemicals that are used to manufacture it and even water is a chemical substance.

I think that you will probably see an increased emphasis on ā€œsafeā€ materials and components more than ā€œchemical freeā€ materials and components and possibly an increasing emphasis on testing and safety certifications in the industry as a whole.

Post #2 here and the other posts and sources of information it links to has more information about natural, organic, safe, and ā€œgreenā€ materials that can help each person answer the question of "how safe is safe enough for me.

Phoenix