Chicago Burbs Retailers?

I did a search and I found a thread about the place in LaGrange. I looked at their site, and it seems that their selection is limited. Are there any other recommended places in the Chicago burbs?

BTW, I was shopping the local stores today and the sales person actually asked me if I was secret shopping him because of the knowledge I learned here! I told him it wouldnā€™t be a secret if I said anything. Hilarious. Low pressure, but he still used some of the tricks before I left.

Thanks for the info, and any help you can provide.

Mike

Hi iimmiketoo,

My Green Mattress is the natural side of their business. They also have a sister site https://www.qualitysleepshop.com/ which has a wider variety of mattresses (they make a full range of mattress types). They are one of the members of this site which means I believe they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of quality and value. They would be my priority anywhere within about an hour of Chicago.

The only other factory direct manufacturer within about 50 miles or so that I would consider is Directory of Verlo Mattress Locations. Find a Verlo Mattress store in your town. which is a regional factory direct manufacturer with a number of stores in the Chicago region and makes a full range of mattresses which are better quality/value than most of their mainstream competitors.

There are some other options that may not be in the same quality/value range, have less selection, or involve a longer drive listed in post #4 here (in this same thread) but I personally wouldnā€™t stray too far from My Green Mattress/Quality Sleep if I was in the Chicago area.

Phoenix

Thank you. I will be heading there soon. Looks like just the place!

Hi immiketoo,

For the sake of completeness ā€¦ I should add a few more that are either further away or not in the same value range in the Chicago area but may be of interest for someone that was closer and is reading this thread. They are ā€¦

https://www.roomandboard.com/catalog/bedroom/randb-mattresses Retail direct outlet in Chicago. Their mattresses are made by Restwell in Minnesota but the quality/value is not in the same range as what Iā€™ve already listed in post #2.

https://www.northshorebedding.com/ in Northbrook, IL that carries Savvy Rest, OMI, SleepTek and Suite Sleep which are all high quality latex mattresses (including both Talalay and Dunlop) with good customizing options but are in a more premium price range.

Shop Affordable Home Furnishings & Home Goods - IKEA Bolingbrook and Schaumburg, IL. See post #3 here for more about their mattresses.

Retailer in Downers Grove (23), Orland Park (27), Schaumberg (31), Lincolnshire (31), Naperville (34), IL. and Greenfield, Brookfield, Menomonee Falls, WI. They carry mattresses made by Claire Bedding which is a wholesale mattress manufacturer in Escanabe, MI who are a Restonic licensee and also make their own line called Platinum Dreams which are very nice and include several 2 sided all latex mattresses and others. In my conversations with both Clare bedding and Pennymustard I have found them to be open and helpful about their mattresses and they are good people. Of course each of the pennymustard outlets may have different people but I would suspect that they would all be higher quality salespeople that are more knowledgeable than most.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint 1: pennymustard.com/ | Archived Footprint 2:clarebedding.com/dealers.asp

http://www.unpluggedfurniture.com/ Retailer in Chicago, Naperville, Bataqvia, Crystal Lake, IL. Also carry Restonic mattresses made by Clare Bedding.

Another member of our site which I also consider to be among the best of the best is within 100 miles and would make a great choice for those who were close enough to pay them a visit.

Beloit, WI and Rockford, IL
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: beloitmattress.com/

The Milwaukee area has one other manufacturer that I would consider if you are willing to drive into WI anyway and they are listed in post #2 here.

There is also a Denver Mattress in Rockford, IL. They are a regional factory direct manufacturer which makes a range of good quality and value mattresses including a mostly latex mattress/topper combination and a memory foam option but I wouldnā€™t consider any of the other brands they also carry.

ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: marrsalesmattress.com/index.htm
http://www.magicsleepmattress.com/ Factory direct manufacturer in Marseilles, IL. They focus more on wholesale than factory direct to consumers but they do have a showroom where they will sell direct to consumers. They tend to use polyfoam in the 1.2 to 1.8 lb range and their memory foam is mostly in the 4 lb range and while they are working towards introducing a latex line ā€¦ they currently only use latex in thin layers as part of some memory foam models. While they donā€™t ā€œvolunteerā€ density information as a matter of course (because they realize that most consumers donā€™t know the difference) ā€¦ they will disclose the specs of their foam to anyone who asks.

The earlier post #2 and this list includes everything that Iā€™m aware of and would consider within about 100 miles of Chicago.

Phoenix

Great site, thanks for all the info. Iā€™m looking to replace my Verlo bed that Iā€™ve had waaaaay to long. Iā€™m going to check out Quality on Monday.

Hi Shaunp,

As you probably know ā€¦ I think highly of Quality Sleep Shop and many of the members here that have purchased their mattress there do as well (see here for example).

Iā€™m looking forward to your feedback after your visit :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I pass through Chicago weekly from Indiana to Wisconsin. I happened upon this site as I look for a mattress I can truly ā€œloveā€ (made a mistake a few months ago, now trying to correct it). I am considering Saatva, but also now because of this site will be looking at ā€˜quality sleep shopā€™ which was recommendedā€¦ if you know of any place around Madison Wisconsin Iā€™d appreciate that input as well. Great site we appreciate all the good info

Hi bhindiana,

You can see some thoughts and feedback about Saatva in post #1 here and the rest of the topic and a forum search on Saatva (you can just click the link) will bring up more comments and feedback about them as well. In very general terms for most people it would be a ā€œbetter than averageā€ quality/value choice compared to most of the mainstream mattresses made by the major manufacturers but it wouldnā€™t be in the same ā€œquality/valueā€ range as many of the other options that most of the members here would know about as a result of the information on the site.

As you know they are one of the members here which means that I think very highly of them and I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency.

The better options or possibilities Iā€™m aware of in the Madison, WI area (subject to the quality/value guidelines here) are listed in post #5 here.

Phoenix

THANKS SO MUCH !! I just researched Beloit Bedding Companyā€¦ very interesting products to look into. thanks for providing some alternatives to the major brands that just seem to fall short all the time. Im very anxious to look into these two places and move forward with a mattress I can truly ā€œliveā€ with. this time iā€™ll take my time and not get stuck with an average product that I cant wait to unloadā€¦ Man am I glad I stumbled across this siteā€¦ !!!

Hi bhindiana,

As you know Beloit is also a member of this site and I think very highly of them as well. Between the knowledge, experience, and guidance of both of them it would be very difficult to go wrong :slight_smile:

Iā€™m glad you found us as well and Iā€™m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding.

Phoenix

I visited both Beloit Mattress company and Quality sleep in laGrange ILā€¦ this past week in my travels. I have to tell you that BOTH are top shelf places and were extremely helpful as well as knowledgeable as I shopped with them. Looking at the quality of the materials, listening to them explain, and most importantly FEELING the quality of the beds they have is truly a cut above going to a major retailer. Plus both were very reasonably priced for the quality given as well. The minute I unload my current mattress one of these fine places will be getting my orderā€¦ thanks again for the direction, I feel like I have finally found what im looking forā€¦

Hi bhindiana,

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback ā€¦ I appreciate it :).

I think that you have certainly narrowed your choices down to two great options so you should have no trouble making a great quality/value choice when you get rid of your old mattress and itā€™s time to replace it.

Phoenix

Phoenix, what are your thoughts on Mattress toppers? I unloaded the mattress in question that was causing me fits. I went back to my basic mattress (veryfirm). Before I bite the bullet and invest in a new mattress im thinking I may try a nice topper to see if I can get the one I have to a ā€œmediumā€ firm feeling. Looking online it seems there are some nice latex toppers out there, as well as gel too that may work. I donā€™t like to ā€œsink inā€ so im cautious about straight memory foam unless im just behind the times. I appreciate any inputā€¦ thanks.

Hi bhindiana,

If you have a mattress that is still in good condition and doesnā€™t have any soft spots or visible impressions and the only issue with the mattress is that itā€™s too firm then a topper can be a very good way to add any additional softness and pressure relief to a mattress that you may need.

If you do decide to go in this direction then post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to can help you use your sleeping experience as a reference point and guideline for choosing the type, thickness, and firmness for a topper that has the least possible risk and the best chance for success and also includes a link to a list of some of the better sources for toppers Iā€™m aware of as well.

The choice between different types of foam materials is more of a budget and preference choice than a ā€œbetter/worseā€ choice (assuming that you are only considering good quality/density versions of memory foam and not the lower quality/density versions). Some people prefer the more ā€œin the mattressā€ feeling of slow response materials such as memory foam and others prefer the more ā€œon the mattressā€ feel of other types of more resilient materials. There is more about how memory foam and latex compare in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Phoenix, Iā€™m now on my 3rd mattress from Quality Sleep Shop in LaGrange, IL. I Cant say enough good things about this company, the people, and the quality of the products. I have one of the Emily Pillow-tops, and two of the Katherine Latex beds as I am systematically replacing all the mattresses in my house as well as work apartment. . They ship nationwide and I cant imagine ever looking elsewhere for simply the best beds made for the price, period. Thanks so much for recommending them to me, they have exceeded all expectations on every point for me. I am truly appreciative.

Hi bhindiana,

Thanks for taking the time to share an update with your comments and feedback ā€¦ and congratulations on all three of your new mattresses :slight_smile:

As you know you have made some great quality/value choices and itā€™s good to hear that your research worked out so well for you!

Phoenix

Is Beloit mattress company better than La Grange options?
Thank you
Beth

Both have quality mattresses. i chose LaGrange for the beds, and also the service. (not that Beloit didnt have great service). i suggest you visit them both to look at options. My favorite mattress is at Lagrange called the ā€œEmily Pillowtopā€ā€¦ its not really a pillowtop just a great quality mattress at a great price. they can roll them up, ship them if you want. Good luck between these two youā€™ll find what you need. If you go to Lagrange ask for Tim, just a great owner, very honest and helpful.

Hi Edief4,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Iā€™d agree with bhindiana, both Beloit Mattress Company and Quality Sleep Shop (My Green Mattress) are good places to visit (as youā€™re aware, theyā€™re both site members here, which means that I think highly of them), but their selections differ, so a visit to both would be recommended to see if you have an affinity for the offerings of one business versus the other.

Phoenix

Thanks for the Chicagoland recommendations. FYI.

• North Shore Bedding is permanently closed.
  • Unplugged no longer lists Restonic on its website.
  • Denver Mattress no longer lists a Chicago retail location