child mattress - all latex vs latex/innerspring combo?

Dear Phoenix,
I have been researching children’s mattresses for my three year old and am struggling with our decision between two options: 1) a 6" natural medium-firm dunlop mattress (the Little Lamb collection from Suite Sleep) vs 2) an organic innerspring with 2" soft talalay (Alpine Classic from European Sleepworks). I have not been able to find research on which option would be better for a child (with spinal support, etc). The Suite Sleep option indicates that, by 85 pounds, an additional layer would need to be purchased, and I am not sure how comfortable 6" of medium firm dunlop would be. But, I have also heard some negative things about innerspring. If you have any opinion on this, I would greatly appreciate your help!
Thanks so much!

Hi rory12,

Post #2 here and the topics it links to have more information about mattresses and children and “safe” materials including a link to some general guidelines for children in post #2 here. It also includes a number of links to the better forum posts and topics about mattress and children as well which have more information about many good options for children which may also be worth considering.

For younger children any mattress that uses materials that are “durable enough” (see post #4 here) that you would also consider to be “safe enough” and is in a medium firmness range or firmer would generally be a suitable choice for a child. The choice between different mattresses that meet these criteria would really be more of a budget and preference choice than a “better/worse” choice.

I would keep in mind that a mattress that would be “comfortable” for most adults may be too soft to be suitable for a child. You can also add a softer topper to any firmer childrens’ mattress when they get older and develop more adult proportions if and when they need a softer comfort layer in their “sleeping system”.

I’m not sure what you read about innersprings but the upper layers of a mattress are generally the weakest link of the mattress in terms of durability and are the layers where the quality/durability of the materials is particularly important. The regular deflection/compression of a foam material is what softens or breaks down foam over time and the softer upper layers of a mattress will deflect and compress more deeply and more often than the firmer deeper layers and components in a mattress so the deeper support core of a mattress underneath the comfort layers is rarely the weakest link in the mattress. A good quality innerspring would certainly be a durable component and wouldn’t generally be the weakest link in a mattress so it wouldn’t be a concern in terms of durability but it would make a difference in terms of how a mattress “feels” and responds because an innerspring would be more “bouncy” or “springy” than a mattress that has a latex support core.

Both of the mattresses you are considering use high quality, durable, and “safe” materials but I would be a little cautious about having a 2" “soft” comfort layer in a mattress that was meant for a child.

Phoenix