choice question again

this is my first post on the forum and i was reading the articles and posts for two weeks already.
First this is the best and the only such source of information on sleep, one of the most important topics in life.
And even i understand how tired you are Phoenix on questions about choice i just have to ask you.
We don’t have possibility to try mattresses in showrooms so we (me and my wife) have to try to order online.
I already know that i want only natural latex mattress, we are both side sleepers, both are heavy, around 250 pounds. I am leaning to more soft mattress and my wife probably like medium softness. All our previous mattresses were inner spring , but even most expensive we had, and i mean really expensive, were simply bad.
And very important part of the question is possibility of financing.
Thank you in advance

Hi vpolur,

I’m not sure where you live but if you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area. If nothing else if you are able to do some local testing then you could confirm that you like how latex feels and performs (because not everyone does) and you would also have some very general reference points about the type and blend of latex and the general firmness levels that you tend to prefer regardless of whether you end up making a local or an online purchase.

As you may know from your reading here … while I can certainly help with “how” to choose … it’s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

I’m assuming that you’ve already read the mattress shopping tutorial but two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

If you are considering online options then the mattress shopping tutorial includes a link to a list of the members here that sell mattresses online (in the optional online step) and many of them sell latex and latex hybrid mattresses that use different types and blends of latex that have a wide range of different designs, options, features, return and exchange policies, and prices that would be well worth considering.

Many of these are component mattresses with loose layers and zip covers that allow you to fine tune the comfort and/or support of a mattress after a purchase by rearranging or exchanging individual layers and some of them are finished" mattresses with glued layers. There is more about the pros and cons of a component latex mattress with a zip cover and loose layers vs a finished mattress with glued layers in post #15 here and post #2 here.

Post #3 here includes a list of many of the online manufacturers that sell component latex mattresses as well (with some overlap with the members list).

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

You would need to check their websites or call them on the phone to find out which of them offer financing because I don’t know off the top of my head.

Phoenix

Thank you Phoenix for such a comprehensive answer.
I live in Brooklyn NY 11235 and you are correct i could try a latex myself, but probably without my wife( she has a limited mobility)
And i will read all the links you provided again.

Hi vpolur,

Hopefully your wife will be able to do some limited testing to see how she feels about latex.

Subject to confirming that any retailer or manufacturer on the list you wish to deal with is completely transparent about the materials and components in their mattresses (see this article) and to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets your criteria and the quality/value guidelines here … the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the New York City area are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

First of all thanks again for all your suggestions.
I tried already couple of latex mattresses and i liked it,but one question is bothering me.
Almost all of makers advertise the mattresses made of 3-4 layers of latex without any adhesive for changing the comfort, but we are both heavy and i use to change my position a lot through the night.
Very much suspect this layers would not be staying in place and will move.

vpolur wrote:

Latex pieces have a quite high coefficient of friction and they tend to stay in place very well. You’ll find there to be very little movement of the pieces once you set up your layers and zip up your encasement.

Hi vpolur,

As Jeff mentioned latex is very “sticky” and it’s not likely that you would have any issues with layer shifting with loose latex layers inside a suitable tight fitting zip cover. If for some reason the layers do shift over the longer term then it’s a simple matter to unzip the cover and “wave” the layers back into position again.

There is also more about the pros and cons of a component latex mattress with a zip cover and loose layers vs a finished mattress with glued layers in post #15 here and post #2 here.

Phoenix